RYA yachtmaster vs USCG license Captain vs ICC - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 75 Old 05-30-2014

Re: RYA yachtmaster vs USCG license Captain vs ICC

interesting I saw on some of the pre requisistes of the rya that you should be able to do basic sun sights and basic celestial nav...and a test with no electronic devices, so basically dead reckoning and compass sighting, triangulation etc...

thats a big difference, not to mention that fact that there IS a practical exam...

I would go for the rya, but it sounds like you WILL have to do a lot of studying and testing physically in order to do it their way

my advice would be to talk to fellow delivery skippers and crew who might have the rya ticket and see if you can take it...

good luck!

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 75 Old 05-30-2014

rockdawg check this out

How to get your International Certificate of Competence - ICC | BOSS Sailing School Blog

when you get your rya you should automatically get or apply for the ICC certificate...

also look towards the end where its says experienced skippers that can provide their on boat CAN do some courses and fresheners in order to directly apply for an ICC ticket without going through the lower courses

at least thats what I understood...

interesting none the less when you see so much that is required for eu citizens to simply rent or charter a boat...

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 75 Old 05-30-2014

Quote:
Note, too, that the mileage requirements are in tidal waters.
No, just 1/2 of the mileage.

Quote:
interesting I saw on some of the pre requisistes of the rya that you should be able to do basic sun sights and basic celestial nav
Not for the yachtmaster offshore though you need it before getting the yacht master ocean (you might be able to do both at the same time). The yachtmaster ocean requires a 600nm voyage using celestial naviagation. The test is then taken after. I think it is both oral and written.
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by ScottUK; 05-30-2014 at 11:38 AM.

post #24 of 75 Old 05-30-2014

It really depends on what you intend to do. Charter captain, or you're getting paid to take/teach students on a sailboat with an engine? Then you need the Coast Guard license, with an endorsement for auxiliary sail if you go higher than the 6-pack. "Inspected vessel" (meaning it has a Coast Guard Certificate of inspection and can take more than 6 pax)? You need the CG license, with enough tonnage to cover what you're skippering.

Deliveries, or passengers but not "for hire"? Then it's up to whoever is hiring you as to what kind of ticket they want you to have.

I'm not that familiar with the British setup. In the US there's ASA and USSA, but they are private agencies and their cards have no "official" standing, though unofficially they may give you some credibility at a sailing school, or at a charter company who might otherwise put a captain on board for the first half-day to check you out, and might get you a discount on insurance.
post #25 of 75 Old 05-30-2014
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwiki View Post
USCG 100 ton is not much - in fact it tends to create suspicion that person has no idea

The Yachtmaster ( if it is the one I am thinking about ) is a serious bit of tea. People who have earned know a lot
I have both certifications. There are inexperienced USCG Captains--the ones I've met tend to be older cocky men who test well know it all's that don't know jack. There are also mAny very young YachtMasters. Many of these studied well and tested well but again lack experience. A couple of example. A nice Dutch fellow whose goal was to crew on a mega yacht...which he has been doing off and on for six years now. He would have been better off buying a boat and sailing alone IMHO. I would not hire him. Another was a young gal who passed l her exams and was paying big bucks for sea time under an experienced Captain. I would not hire her, but give her more sea mikes and ocean days and I might.

Neither of these certification matter compared to real world experience. I can step on a boat and I observe. 10 minutes makes it obvious who is good and who is dangerous or somewhere in between.

As for the certifications themselves, I would recommend getting both. If you want to work and industry you need your RYA Yacht Master "Commercially Endorsed". CE means you've had an evaluation by and approved Marine physician. I don't remember I think you might have to have drug testing of some sort.

As for the actual courses I have done them all. ASA, USSailing, RYA and US Navy. I was most impressed with the RYA program. US Sailing is a joke--they constantly talk about how great they are instead of trying to improve and it is a political laughing stock IMHO. The US Coast Guard license doesn't require a course, but there are plenty of certification classes you can take, and these just teach you how to pass the course and it is the most difficult. Taking a prep course makes it easier. US Coast Guard exam has some tricky parts to it,. The set and drift calculations are bizarre to put it mildly. You have to learn how to approximate the answers, because the Coast Guard uses some sort of calculated means to determine the answer which is nowhere close to reality.

If anyone has any more specific questions about these programs feel free to ring me up.

Capt Conrad
Home - Connecticut Captain

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
post #26 of 75 Old 05-30-2014

The ICC is not a commercial ticket. It allows the operation of pleasure craft.

It may be required in some countries like Croatia.
christian.hess likes this.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #27 of 75 Old 05-30-2014 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
I think in order to get a yachtmaster you have to be a citizen or resident of the UK or one of the commonwealths.
Not true. RYA official just informed me that your don't need to be a British subject to be a member or a YachtMaster.

It does make sense to me. RYA is not a government agency. It is a private Association.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
post #28 of 75 Old 05-30-2014 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
There is a company in Florida ( International Crew Training ) that lets you sit for Yachtmaster. You can even do their prep classes for USCG licenses and Yachtmaster at the same time.
Good to know. Thanks.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
post #29 of 75 Old 05-30-2014
Captain

The RYA is a private organization. Until you add the Commercial Endorsement (CE) after it.

I am not from the UK and I have one. It means something outside of the US and is helpful for getting work.
jackdale likes this.

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean

Last edited by Night_Sailor; 08-24-2014 at 12:56 PM.
post #30 of 75 Old 05-30-2014

I am taking a risk with this, WTH.

RockDawg and others might get some better answers over at CF. I know that there you find instructors and others with RYA, USCG, IYT and other commercial tickets. I do not think that there are many RYA folks on SN.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in