RYA yachtmaster vs USCG license Captain vs ICC - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 75 Old 12-30-2017

Re: RYA yachtmaster vs USCG license Captain vs ICC

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I'm sorry, but I really disagree with this statement entirely. Most military vessels have 4 to 10+ times the crew of an equal size civilian vessel, even if they are not warships. They have redundant personnel for every job aboard and if the crews are not getting enough sleep, then that falls directly to mismanagement of those personnel.
A civilian vessel of 600 feet might have 40 crew (more likely 24) but a military vessel of the same size (with no marine compliment) will have upwards of 250. If the officers on these vessels cannot get their crew enough sleep, then there is a big problem.
Please do not respond about aircraft carriers, as I'm well aware that if they are having flight operations, that not even the off watch personnel can sleep. However, it has not yet been a carrier that has been involved in negligent operations, to the best of my knowledge.
This was one of the findings of the enquiries into the recent collisions. The other problem, lack of training, ultimately is for the same reason as the lack of sleep - too much to do in not enough time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/u...committee.html

But it's not a new problem, it's been known for a while :

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...or-ship-crews/

One of the results of the recent accidents has been that the Navy is finally accepting the expert's recommendations for shift patterns.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Last edited by MarkSF; 12-30-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 75 Old 12-30-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Granted, there are some bad apples in every basket, but for the most part, USCG licensed captains are pretty damned good at what they do. Happy New Year, everyone, Gary
Gary, just to be quite clear, my criticism of the USCG licensing is not with the captains, but with the system. Someone who has no more experience on vessels larger than a rowboat can fake his sea time with very little chance of being caught. The Licensing Center has neither the budget, nor the personnel to verify sea time for each applicant. The exams are multiple choice, certainly not the best proof of mastery of a subject, if one can see the answer before them, and the exam prep courses are designed to pass anyone who pays the tab. I passed every aspect of the 100 ton Ocean Operator exam plus radar, Loran and sailing endorsements, in around 5 hours.
On the other side of the coin, my British Commonwealth exam took 25 hours of exams and not one question was multiple choice. Most questions had multiple parts and each question was scored at 100 points. The last 5 hours was before a panel of licensed masters from England who could ask any question from the syllabus for that grade of ticket.
Before I was even allowed to sit for the exam, I had to drive the harbor tug, aiding vessels docking and undocking, at the direction of the pilot, for a couple of weeks and then I had to actually be the harbor pilot for another couple. That certificate of competency allowed me to operate any vessel up to 50 meters, on any waters.
I was absolutely flabbergasted when the USCG would not reciprocate that ticket, especially after taking their silly excuse for a test of a candidate's competency to operated a vessel which could carry hundreds of passengers, and yet was limited to only 100 grt.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #73 of 75 Old 12-30-2017

It's pretty well established that it's substantially harder to get the lower tickets in the UK than the US. However, even to get one in the US, you have to make a reasonable commitment to study, which probably indicates at least one is heading in the right direction. It's still odd that there is no practical exam, like there is for a car or plane.

Nevertheless, I'm now curious if this bares out in an accident or incident results in vessels <100GT between the two countries. I suspect, in the US, you may get the license, but you're not getting the job, until you prove you know what you're doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #74 of 75 Old 12-30-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
However, even to get one in the US, you have to make a reasonable commitment to study,
In the US, you are studying to pass the test, not to learn the rules. If you want to do that, you have to do that separately from the license prep courses.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #75 of 75 Old 12-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
In the US, you are studying to pass the test, not to learn the rules. If you want to do that, you have to do that separately from the license prep courses.
Totally true, but it's not a single weekend endeavor. It takes months and I'm postulating that most who make that commitment have a bit more going for them than the average bear on the water.

It definitely doesn't make one instantly qualified to take my boat out, with a crew of 10. Nevertheless, I think if you took a dozen random 25T Master license holders and put them in a room with a dozen random non-license holders, you'd quickly note which group were the better seaman. Not to the person, but as a group.

I remain curious if the accident/incident rate, for license holders, is higher in the US.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in