RYA yachtmaster vs USCG license Captain vs ICC - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 Old 05-29-2014 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

RYA yachtmaster vs USCG license Captain vs ICC

To open more opportunities, getting endorsement has become an important step to sail on OPB.

RYA wants sea miles but USCG wants days on the boat. It seems that RYA is a way to go at least for my case. But I have to fly to UK or AU to get the practical exam for Yachtmaster Ocean or off-shore. OK, it may be a good excuse to fly to UK for a week. . ICC comes automatically when you have the RYA Yachtmaster certificate.

Anyone know more about these things?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 05-29-2014

Re: RYA yachtmaster vs USCG license Captain vs ICC

If you ever want to carry passengers in the US for hire. A USCG licence is the only one recognized.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 75 Old 05-29-2014

I got my 50ton ticket...but never officially used it...jaja in ft.lauderdale at a well respected school

dont you have to be a uk citizen to get their version...likewise with other countries that offer?

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!

post #4 of 75 Old 05-29-2014 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
If you ever want to carry passengers in the US for hire. A USCG licence is the only one recognized.
Yes, agree.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
post #5 of 75 Old 05-29-2014 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I got my 50ton ticket...but never officially used it...jaja in ft.lauderdale at a well respected school

dont you have to be a uk citizen to get their version...likewise with other countries that offer?
You don't need to be a UK or AU citizen. With ICC around, RYA becomes more acceptable outside the U.S. water.

Fine Print:
post #6 of 75 Old 05-29-2014

cool I would go for rya then and I agree outside the us the uscg "ticket" is not very well respected or admired...

I think its very useful if you plan to charter and or carry passengers for hire again in us waters...

outside it simply depends on what country you are doing it in

also I got a bunch of ISAF certifications when I was training down here and those I hear are well respected worldwide...

pick your poison then!

good luck

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
post #7 of 75 Old 05-29-2014
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

dawg, you a citizen of the Federal Republic?

OK, then you go for the USCG certification.

You a Brit? Then you look up the RYA.

If life changes and you decide you want to sail in what's left of the Empire, by all means, go for the RYA as well. But first, try out for the home team.
rockDAWG likes this.
post #8 of 75 Old 05-29-2014

USCG 100 ton is not much - in fact it tends to create suspicion that person has no idea

The Yachtmaster ( if it is the one I am thinking about ) is a serious bit of tea. People who have earned know a lot
post #9 of 75 Old 05-29-2014

I hold a 100 ton license, and have no real familiarity with the RYA Yachtmaster requirements. So is is from general knowledge, not a deep understanding of the testing regime.

The USCG license requires 720 sea days, which typically requires quite a lot of sea time, and requires at least two years to qualify for. The flip side is any time on a boat qualifies, and there is no practical test. So the license itself makes no statement about someone's skill.

The RYA license however only requires 50 hours of sea time, so it's possible but not likely to get in a week. However the RYA license also requires a practical exam, so there is at least some guarantee of skill.

Which do I think of as being more impressive? Meh, I don't think much of either by themselves. Like most commercial companies and insurance companies I put a lot more stock in someone's resume than the license they have. At least when discussing entry level licenses like this.
christian.hess likes this.

Greg

Last edited by Stumble; 05-30-2014 at 02:05 PM.
post #10 of 75 Old 05-29-2014

Thanks for the clarification - the Yachtmaster I was thinking has a few hundred hours of practical requirements plus a minimum of a 2,000 mile blue water passage

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in