Why is our boat such a mess? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 06-03-2014

Re: Why is our boat such a mess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
Someone in a past thread suggested using a vacuum seal a meal system for parts. I think that is a great idea, buying one is on my wish list. It's Ziploc for me for now.
Sure, a vacuum sealer is probably the thing for the spare alternator if you are crossing oceans. But I am thinking of the accumulated spare parts, like nuts, bolts, shackles that you need to have around to fix just that annoying something or other.

Ziplocs may be part of the solution, but where you put THEM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 06-03-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

For small parts, I have 2 standard plastic, lidded trays for stuff like cotter pins, heat shring tubing, crimp connectors, small machine screws, assorted wood screws, etc. They get used all the time, so get kept in a handy location. Larger spares like alternators, starters, etc. get BURIED in the same locker but I know where they are and never change their location. I have two "clothes" drawers filled with coffee cans of stuff that gets used often like fuel filters, hose clamps, seizing wire, and such. I sacrificed the drawers because they lock closed and are accessible quickly. I use another drawer for only electrical parts like bulbs, pieces of wire, spare radar, solar, radio, etc. stuff. Sailing singlehanded, I don't need all the clothes space. Parts like spare fiberglass, epoxy, paint, emergency hatch plugs, tubing, wire, etc. all have a specific spot "buried" according to how often they're needed. All my shackles and chain parts get stored in one hatch up in the bow section. It all works out but takes a long time to get into the habit of putting everything in the SAME place every time so you know where to start digging:-)

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 06-03-2014 at 09:38 AM.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-03-2014
Swab

I keep a good supply of small parts, hardware and tools in the bilge.
meteuz and nighthawk like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 21 Old 06-03-2014
jzk

I was removing some nuts from one of my toe rail sections in the anchor locker, and I noticed a drill bit sticking out of the hull deck joint on the inside of the boat.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-03-2014
Dirt Free

I wrote an article related to this topic a few years back ...
Boat Maintenance for non-Idiots
smurphny likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #16 of 21 Old 06-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
I keep a good supply of small parts, hardware and tools in the bilge.
ROTFSL!

s/v My Sweet Girl!
Catalina 30 (Mark I)
Atomic 4
post #17 of 21 Old 06-03-2014
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
And of course there is the...I know I have that part, and it should be on the boat story...The last time my old man was one the boat for a sail, the wind died and we were far from home, started the engine and found the pump impeller was gone. I thought I had a replacement on board. could not find it. Had plenty of time to look for it. The wind came back up and I sailed home and into the slip. Bought a new impeller, fixed the pump and promptly found the spare one.
Thankful for this validation that I am not the only one who does this (although it seems to happen more often these days...). I spent the night at another marina the past weekend and was staring at the prongs of the 30 amp electrical plug to figure out why it won't fit in the 50 amp shore power (don't laugh...), when someone across the way says, "do you need an adapter?" The next night I was putting something away under a settee and found the adapter that I had bought last year and had completely forgotten about. If that happens again, then I'm going to be real worried but maybe I just won't remember this other incident. And I am trying to forget of all the times I knew I had put a part down "right there next to me" and then had to scour the boat looking for it.
post #18 of 21 Old 06-03-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

I know where all the tools are and virtually all of the spare parts. The thing I find remarkable is that even a small, 20 minute repair seems to require at least nine different tools. Doesn't seem to be like that at home.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
post #19 of 21 Old 06-03-2014

It comes down to practice. The older I get the less I spend time looking for tools, parts or material. I know what I will need and where it is. Things are stowed such that what I need is accessible.

I did some plumbing Sunday (water filter for galley). 15 minutes, start to finish. Many tools, and a few fittings, but they were where they should have been.

I learned the hard way, of course. I'm not gloating, just offering hope. It seems I'm much faster at somethings than I was 30 years ago; fewer mistakes.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #20 of 21 Old 06-03-2014

I use clear Sterilite storage containers, the type with locking lids. I got them at K-mart ugh I don't who else sells them. They are available in many sizes from small to huge. Put similar small parts in ziplocks and put them inside write a label and put clear scotch tape over it to moisture proof it. My spare alternator,battery wire and lugs are all in the one place this way.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in