Anchoring suggestions for Buzzards bay area? - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By smurphny
  • 1 Post By smurphny

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-04-2014 Thread Starter

Anchoring suggestions for Buzzards bay area?

We're planning our first real destination trip. Looking for recommendations for anchoring in buzzards bay, closer to the New bedford hurricane barrier. Last weekend we tried for Kettle cove, but we started out way later than we wanted to and got about 2 miles from there and turned around so we could get back at a decent hour.

This time we're looking for something a little closer, maybe a beach we can row the dinghy to or something. New bedford, or dartmouth area? Any suggestions?

Check out our blog we set up for our Seafarer Adventures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and feel free to subscribe or follow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-05-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

Re: Anchoring suggestions for Buzzards bay area?

Maybe shoot across to the Hadley Harbor area or the islands? There are more choices for anchoring and exploring than around NB.
davekrista likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Maybe shoot across to the Hadley Harbor area or the islands? There are more choices for anchoring and exploring than around NB.
Someone had suggested Hadley Harbor and it is on our list for when the kids get out of school for the summer. With 4 kids, its not always easy to get out as early as we would like to, which is why I was looking for something closer to where we are moored. They don't get out until the end of June and we usually go out on the boat on sundays. Just looking for the shorter trips until then.

We were looking at Jones park in Dartmouth, Clarks Cove but I'm not sure if we'd be able to anchor in that area. I've been looking for nautical charts but so far haven't been able to find any good ones. Didn't know if there would be a better spot to try to go and anchor. Its supposed to be in the 80's this weekend so the kids would love to get in the water. Even though it will still be cold.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-05-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekrista View Post
Someone had suggested Hadley Harbor and it is on our list for when the kids get out of school for the summer. With 4 kids, its not always easy to get out as early as we would like to, which is why I was looking for something closer to where we are moored. They don't get out until the end of June and we usually go out on the boat on sundays. Just looking for the shorter trips until then.

We were looking at Jones park in Dartmouth, Clarks Cove but I'm not sure if we'd be able to anchor in that area. I've been looking for nautical charts but so far haven't been able to find any good ones. Didn't know if there would be a better spot to try to go and anchor. Its supposed to be in the 80's this weekend so the kids would love to get in the water. Even though it will still be cold.
Here's a link to NOAA's online chart viewer: NOAA's On-Line Chart ViewerNOAA also has all the US raster and vector charts for free to use with a computer program. Try Open CPN or Seaclear which are both free downloadable programs. I usually do some work on a friend's boat over your way in Marion every year. There's a great restaurant we went to last year right by the bridge, has a clear acrylic bar, I forget the name of it.
davekrista likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 06-05-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Here's a link to NOAA's online chart viewer: NOAA's On-Line Chart ViewerNOAA also has all the US raster and vector charts for free to use with a computer program. Try Open CPN or Seaclear which are both free downloadable programs.
Thanks for the link. I was just looking at the NOAA site but haven't had a chance to look at it in depth yet. I will check out the link you sent.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-05-2014
bell ringer

have you checked out Active Captain?

https://activecaptain.com/X.php

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
have you checked out Active Captain?

https://activecaptain.com/X.php
I haven't heard of Active Captain but I will check it out when the kids go to bed later on tonight.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-05-2014

Clark's cove looks like an easy in/out. Lots of room. Active Captain reviews say it's good protection except from south winds. Doesn't appear to be any place to take the Dinghy ashore.

( I just added it to my list of potential anchorages for northbound/southbound trips)
post #9 of 9 Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Clark's cove looks like an easy in/out. Lots of room. Active Captain reviews say it's good protection except from south winds. Doesn't appear to be any place to take the Dinghy ashore.

( I just added it to my list of potential anchorages for northbound/southbound trips)
Through looking on google maps and google earth, Jones Park Beach in dartmouth is a public beach that we were thinking about rowing to. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jo...7bb1b2c989557f My husband looked in depth at the Noaa charts and said it looks do-able, but i haven't had a chance to look yet.

I will let you know after the weekend if we were able to do it and how "easy" it was.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in