anchor tips to get it to catch? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 91 Old 06-08-2014
Old soul

Re: anchor tips to get it to catch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Mike's comment on feeling the rode to tell what the anchor is doing is a good one. One of the things I don't like about all chain is that it is much more difficult to tell, by hand, what the anchor is doing because of the catenary. With rope rode you can tell immediately.
Agreed smurphny, it is harder to read all-chain. I switched from rope-chain to all chain about four years ago. It took me a little while to understand what I was feeling, b/c it is different, but it is still possible to feel your way to good anchoring with all-chain.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 06-08-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 91 Old 06-08-2014
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I'm shocked everyone keeps enabling these two when they have no idea what they are doing, with a baby on-board no less.

The single most important thing when anchoring, IMHO, is the bottom you are on and scope and they clearly had no idea about either

I bet you they had 15 ft of line out in 10 feet of water, not 50, 75 or even a hundred...

You're lucky you did not drift a ground
It was only a matter of time wasn't it. I hope this was a internet attempt at sarcasm, but more likely it was a typical attack on someone looking for help.

Good for the OP to come looking for how to do better next time. Sad that they are attacked for doing so and getting great advise. Heck, I am glad they had the incident, came on and got advise. Then I didn't have to ask!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaMC For This Useful Post:
davekrista (06-16-2014), SOVT (06-09-2014)
post #23 of 91 Old 06-08-2014

Good question and a better answer Mike.
AlaskaMC likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to urbanhermit For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (06-08-2014)

post #24 of 91 Old 06-09-2014

Mike has given you some good advice.

The aim is not to put any force on the anchor until your proper scope has been laid out, but try and lay the rode out along the bottom without piling it in a heap. When the correct scope has been reached gradually increase the force on the anchor, by applying more reverse revs (I usually end after reaching full reverse and keeping it there for 30 s). Monitor some transits and the rode to make sure you are not pulling the anchor backwards.

Danforth anchors have very high holding power in soft substrates, providing there is not a wind shift. However the sort of model you have with the tripping shank are usually poorly made and the sliding shank is not safe overnight, so I would look at getting a new anchor.

The concave roll bar anchors (Mantus, Rocna and Manson Supreme) are a great choice. The new generation anchors set very easily and will usually still set even if you do not get everything just right.
Mantus have sent me an anchor to test and it has been performing wonderfully so far.

This is a video I took of the Mantus setting. It will give you some idea what you are trying to achieve underwater.

Last edited by noelex77; 06-09-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #25 of 91 Old 06-09-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

As others have intimated, a good thing to do with that anchor would be to just see how it sets without the rode:-) Without sending this thread into another "best anchor" orbit, any of the well known all-round anchors would be much better. Only with experience will you understand how to anchor in different conditions of wind, current, and bottoms. Also, you should have more than one anchor. I keep 5 aboard. My main is a 32kg CQR which I plan on replacing with a newer design.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 06-09-2014 at 11:43 AM.
post #26 of 91 Old 06-09-2014
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekrista View Post
Can anyone help with some anchor tips? We tried to anchor for the first time today in an empty cove to row to a beach. Dave took all but the baby with him in the dinghy. The baby and I stayed on the boat so I could try to get her to nap and do some fishing. Dave thought the anchor was good but it wasn't and we kept drifting to shallower water.

Any tips on how to set this kind of anchor?
May I suggest sailing lessons? One of the topics in ASA 103 is anchoring.

DISCLAIMER: I am an ASA Instructor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #27 of 91 Old 06-09-2014

10 feet of water, I am putting out at least 75 ft.

+1 on SVAuspicious, I ramp all the way up to full bore in reverse, because it is true that your engine cannot match the force of the wind. After I back down on her real hard I like to leave the engine running while I go and pick up the cabin, open the hatches, find the rum... Gives the anchor time to settle and the boat to move around it a little, 15 minutesish, then I will back her down one more time and ramp back up to full power to make sure it's holding.
davekrista likes this.
post #28 of 91 Old 06-09-2014

15 minutes?????????????????????????????

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
post #29 of 91 Old 06-09-2014

Can't be good for an engine to leave it at wide open throttle for very long. Especially, if pulling a set anchor. I get the point of testing the set, but I also question whether this is necessary when you have a 100hp turbo charged engine. If there were a stuck waste gate, you would trash the motor. I only momentarily run her up to about 60% of power. I really don't know if that is similar to full throttle on a 60hp, for example. I'm sure it's not that linear, but you get the point.
christian.hess likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #30 of 91 Old 06-09-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

My feeling is that the anchor is either set or not. Yanking on it hard for a prolonged period of time is probably not necessary and maybe counterproductive. If expecting a big blow soon it might make sense to do something like this to really bury the anchor ahead of time but you wouldn't need to rev up that high to sink the hook deeper. It might in fact just tend to eliminate the catenary and pull the shank up enough to dislodge the anchor. You probably want the anchor digging in gradually with the chain on the sea floor.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in