Anchor line snubber - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By killarney_sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-27-2014 Thread Starter

Anchor line snubber

I just purchased a Davis shockles anchor line snubber from WM for $63. I can return it if someone can instruct as to how I can make my own for less money. I have a 30 foot Catalina with 30' of chain and 150' of line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-27-2014
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: Anchor line snubber

There are some suggestions in this thread:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...r-snubber.html

Also, if you scroll down to the Similar Threads section at the bottom of this page, there are several that might be helpful.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-27-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

With 30 feet of chain I am not sure why you need a snubber at all. Even if the water is only 10 feet deep and you bow is 4' above the water (ignoring tides), if you have only 3:1 scope you will have 12' of rope out as well as your chain. Would seem to me to be a perfectly adequate snubber there (I assume it is nylon of appropriate size).

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
There are some suggestions in this thread:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...r-snubber.html

Also, if you scroll down to the Similar Threads section at the bottom of this page, there are several that might be helpful.
Donna, any idea why no threads more recent than 3 or 4 years old ever seem to appear under the "Similar Threads" feature?

Like this one, for instance? it would seem to have more relevance, than a thread about flat webbing for a stern anchor line from almost 10 years ago :-)

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...ers-redux.html
post #5 of 10 Old 06-27-2014
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Donna, any idea why no threads more recent than 3 or 4 years old ever seem to appear under the "Similar Threads" feature?

Like this one, for instance? it would seem to have more relevance, than a thread about flat webbing for a stern anchor line from almost 10 years ago :-)

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...ers-redux.html
I don't know. For the most part my SN world stops on the outside of my monitor but my guess is it is connected to the poor search capability that everyone complains about.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-27-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

When I anchor, I have a piece of line I keep at the pedestal that I use (with a rolling hitch) to pull my rode away from the end of the roller. Otherwise, it rubs against the end. With 35' of chain, I've found no need for a snubber.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

post #7 of 10 Old 06-27-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

A length of nylon rope and the knowledge of how to use a rolling hitch and you have a good snubber.

With a rope rode I would always use a snubber to avoid chafe on the rode as it passes over the bow roller or fairlead.

My rode is all chain so I have a chain hook on my nylon rope. My real snubber is the chain catenary but the nylon rope makes life aboard much quieter onboard especially for anyone trying to sleep in the forepeak while the anchor chain is grinding on the bottom as we swing.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-27-2014
Windseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
With 30 feet of chain I am not sure why you need a snubber at all.
Agreed. Setting a snubber is just an extra step / complication I've only used one with an all chain rode.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-27-2014

I sort of agree with those that hold the view that with 30 feet of chain a snubber is unnecessary but if you're going to have one no matter what, then surely this is the best solution:

A metre of strong nylon line onto a correctly sized chain hook, it takes less than a minute to deploy and less to retrieve. And in my part of the world the hook costs as little as $8 depending on chain size

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #10 of 10 Old 06-27-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

I have started using an Amsteel soft shackle for attaching the snubber line to the chain. IT WORKS WONDERFULLY! No grab hook falling off, easy to slip though a chain link, easy to take on and off, goes right through the roller on the way up. Try it, you'll like it. I've tried many different things, this is the best.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in