Flying Junior Project - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dstoger94

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2014 Thread Starter

Question Flying Junior Project

Hi all, I recently purchased a used FJ with no paperwork on the boat itself unfortunately. The boat is in sound condition with some spider cracks on the finish of the hull and one patchwork job done on one of the gunwales. My problem right now is that there are parts missing for the rigging that are most likely for a racing set up but I nevertheless want to replace them to have a complete boat. The year of the boat is unknown but i do know that it was once owned or a part of the fleet at the Long Island Sailing Center located at 402 Main Street in Port Washington, which is unfortunately no longer an operated center. SO i'm wondering if anyone has any familiarity with the specs of the FJ over the years as well as any rigging manuals from older models, say from 1980 on. ANY help however would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-14-2014

Re: Flying Junior Project

fjs are really popular so you can find all you need by google images and or on the association sites...

pics would help of your boat

I used to race them in my high school as a kid and loved them....but really cant remember specifics on gear...sorry

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-14-2014
Tartan 27' owner

This place sells some parts for the FJ:
APS - Cub Junior / FJ Sailboat Parts and Accessories
This link has some diagrams of the FJ rigging layout:
LaserPerformance | North America - Home
Lots of info on the FJ out there.
Have fun!

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks Christian and Caleb. I've checked out the specs from Laser's site. I'm working on posting pictures for the boat. I do believe it is an older model, perhaps from the 80's, so I'm not necessarily sure of changes made to the rigging over the years. I'm sure any changes have been minimal and nothing drastic though. I for instance have noticed that there is hardware for a vang on the mast but not on the boom (just holes on the boom where the hardware would be, making me think it broke or a previous owner removed it). I've also noticed a system for a traveler but i'm not certain if that's what it is. I'll be sure to get pictures up soon for a better grasp of the boat!

Thanks!
christian.hess likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2014
Tartan 27' owner

It sounds as though you are missing a bail (semi circular piece of metal) on your boom to complete your vang set up.
Here are some boom bail offerings: Defender.com Search Results: boom bail

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

post #6 of 6 Old 08-20-2014 Thread Starter

Here is a link to some pictures of the FJ i purchased as well as some close up pictures of the hardware. The fourth picture should be of what I think is the missing bail on the boom for the vang. The 5th is of the centerboard that doesn't have lines for lowering or raising it so any help with rigging for that would be great. i'm not sure of what the 4 holes on the deck of the boat are in the 6th, maybe a spinnaker pole that the owner no longer used or had? the 7th is a halyard for the jib sheet i believe. The line that was attached to that was frayed and broke in tying it up. And the final picture is that of the mast receiver, which lets you tinker with the mast position for different set ups, anyone have any advice with that? Let me know if there are any more pictures i can supply that would be beneficial in trying to identify the year! Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gm7ave6oh...dC89w5-VlLWjfa

Tags
flying junior , manuals , parts , rigging , specifications

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in