Scum in Fuel Tank - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-05-2014 Thread Starter
Crealock 37

Dock
Scum in Fuel Tank

This is one of my fuel tanks. I have no idea if it has ever been opened or cleaned. The brown film you see easily wipes off.

Is this a normal amount of stuff? Nothing to worry about or an issue?

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-05-2014
One of None

Re: Scum in Fuel Tank

Normal as in any diesel tank that is "old" It's also the stuff that gets into the fuel when the boat starts it sloshing around like on a passage.. then it all goes right into.. yup.. the filter/s that everyone has many spares for when it happens.. uh huh.

Good for you having the willingness to get into it!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #3 of 14 Old 09-05-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post

This is one of my fuel tanks. I have no idea if it has ever been opened or cleaned. The brown film you see easily wipes off.

Is this a normal amount of stuff? Nothing to worry about or an issue?
That's a great photo of the inside of your tank. I don't know if there is any "normal." What is the tank material? It almost looks like it may be a bit of corrosion on 304 s.s.?? (rather than just fuel deposits). The tank looks like it is nicely constructed.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-05-2014

Diesel fuel is pretty much filthy, and because of this "stuff," which is nothing more than residue will accumulate in the tank. The big problem arises when water gets in the fuel - then the stuff soon becomes algae, clogs up lots of fuel injection parts and filters and the boat stops. There are fuel scrubbers available that take care of this, but they are expensive. Or, you can buy a bunch of spare filters, like all the cruisers do, and be prepared to change them frequently.

Good Luck,
Gary
post #5 of 14 Old 09-05-2014 Thread Starter
Crealock 37

Dock

The tank is made of aluminum and is very well built (Pacific Seacraft has so far impressed me with the quality of their craftsmanship).

I started seeing just a tiny bit of particulate in the bowl on my Racors this year. What I found in this tank at the bottom was heavy, gritty, crumbly material.

I plan to open and clean the keel tank in the spring.

Thanks for the info.

Dale

S/V Elnora

post #6 of 14 Old 09-05-2014
One of None

Dale, is the tank removable? Older tanks tend to "seep" at the seams. Hope yours isn't!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #7 of 14 Old 09-05-2014 Thread Starter
Crealock 37

Dock

Yes, they are removable. The one in the picture came out in about 15 minutes, hardest part was working the fill hose off the pipe.

Keel tank appears to be as easy to remove.

I don't believe they are leaking anywhere.

Dale

S/V Elnora

post #8 of 14 Old 09-05-2014

Riddle me this:

If the AYBC is so thorough, and if shore-side above ground fuel tanks require internal inspection for leaks ~ 15 years (API 653), why are tank in a marine environment so difficult (with some exceptions) to inspect? Seems like a design flaw to me. I can see why gasoline scares folks.

Regarding corrosion, while we can't solve all problems, Some additives can stop internal corrosion dead (ValvTeck, Startron, and Stabil Diesel have tested well). Also, test the pH of the water you drain from the separator; we have seen some VERY low numbers from tanks with relatively benign levels of bacterial infection; polishing might keep it functional, but it won't remove that thin layer of acid from the bottom. Apparently inadvertent mixtures of even small amounts of ethanol (shared pipes or trucks) can cause some nasty conditions.

(Both of the cats I have owned had tanks in the bridge deck which were ventilated and drained to the water, so I felt OK about that. If I had an old tank in the bilge, not so much....)

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #9 of 14 Old 09-05-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

+1 on the Star-tron. I use it in every tank fill and put it in any fuel stored for more than a few weeks. Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Diesel Additive

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-06-2014

Bail out the diesel, put some detergent in there and some fresh water and scrub it until you can see you face in it. Dry it off and you will be OK.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in