Cost of email at sea services - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 09-22-2014 Thread Starter

Cost of email at sea services

Hi all,

I am doing research about getting email at sea. I have both satellite and SSB.

I an trying to hook up my globalstar 1600 to my laptop. As far as I can tell, the bottom line is roughly $250 a year from one of the various services, sailmail, ocens etc etc.

Am I correct in thinking that that is the real cost and there are not cheaper solutions for email via sat phone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-22-2014

Re: Cost of email at sea services

I've got to believe the cheapest is SSB, but text only, iirc.

I'm guessing the price you are quoting is just for the service and you pay additional for airtime and for each byte of data.

Another option is a Delorme InReach, which can send/receive text messages inexpensively.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 30 Old 09-22-2014 Thread Starter

To clarify, I definitely want to use my globalstar sat phone. I am trying to figure out the most economical way of doing it. I can connect to the internet find, but I can't use gmail at 9.6bps. I know I need a text-based client.....

Latest blog post:

post #4 of 30 Old 09-22-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
I an trying to hook up my globalstar 1600 to my laptop. As far as I can tell, the bottom line is roughly $250 a year from one of the various services, sailmail, ocens etc etc.
You'll pay $250 - $500 / year plus airtime.

Quote:
To clarify, I definitely want to use my globalstar sat phone. I am trying to figure out the most economical way of doing it. I can connect to the internet find, but I can't use gmail at 9.6bps. I know I need a text-based client.....
Any web-based client will chew through huge gobs of time and money. You can use nearly any e-mail client including Airmail (great for weather and other sailing products), Outlook, Thunderbird, and others over sat-phone.

Add a Pactor modem to your SSB and you'll trade a bigger up-front cost for much much lower running costs and the same speeds as Iridium; Globalstar is faster but still has spotty coverage. Get your ham license and you can use Winlink and include attachments. It's all still going to be slow.

If you are set on sat phone you WILL want a car kit (fixed installation below) and marine-grade external antenna.
paikea likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #5 of 30 Old 09-22-2014 Thread Starter

Ug, airmail does not appear to run on macs

Latest blog post:
post #6 of 30 Old 09-22-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Ug, airmail does not appear to run on macs
It does if you run VMWare or Parallels, but for e-mail over satphone you could use whatever native e-mail app you have on your mac. You'll have to become a little more intimate with the Saildocs catalog but it isn't that hard.

For e-mail and wefax using a Pactor modem you'll need to run something like Airmail in a Windows VM on your Mac.

For e-mail over satphone and wefax from SSB to your Mac there are all native apps.

Don't fall into the grib trap. You want synoptic charts.

post #7 of 30 Old 09-22-2014

Another option.. If you are tech savy...

You could build your own VPS that does the exact same thing as Sailmail, Ocens, ect. Those services are easily replicated using open source engines to process the incoming e-mail. There is also a great proxy that will squish websites for a much better surfing experience.

The best part.. It would only cost about $10/month and you could use the VPS for other services..
post #8 of 30 Old 09-22-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
You could build your own VPS that does the exact same thing as Sailmail, Ocens, ect.
Do you mean a VPN?

The satellite systems I've worked with provide direct TCP/IP access to the Internet. A VPN would provide some added security but isn't necessary for fundamental e-mail access.

post #9 of 30 Old 09-22-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've got to believe the cheapest is SSB, but text only, iirc.

I'm guessing the price you are quoting is just for the service and you pay additional for airtime and for each byte of data.

Another option is a Delorme InReach, which can send/receive text messages inexpensively.

The upfront cost of SSB is prohibited in today's technology, unless you are a radio head and enjoy chatting with others, or have the SSB system came with the boat. I would not invest 3k to 4k.

Delorme InReach is a good alternative, easy to setup. Now you can subscribed to the weather service too. It is a la carte, no long term commitment.

There is a new device from iridium now too.
Iridium Go! hotspot can turn your smartphone into a satellite phone

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
post #10 of 30 Old 09-22-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
The upfront cost of SSB is prohibited in today's technology, unless you are a radio head and enjoy chatting with others, or have the SSB system came with the boat. I would not invest 3k to 4k.
A common opinion but not substantiated. There are good reasons why SSB is part of GMDSS and sat phones still are not.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in