In the market for a new boat - please help - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 Old 10-20-2014

re: In the market for a new boat - please help

For a big cockpit, it is difficult to beat a Tartan 10. High freeboard, reasonable performance, a smallish engine, (but bigger than the Pearson Flyer's), and some space below for food & minimal accommodations. People race them on the Chi-Mac and say they can plane with the chute up. The deck-stepped mast means you can probably handle stepping & takedown without a crane. One owner I know of put his on a trailer and overwintered it in his back yard. Prices should be reasonable if you can find one near you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 10-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Not many boats have a larger cockpit then a C30
My 33 Morgan Out Island does. And, the boom is 7 feet above the deck. The cabin interior is nearly 7 feet above the cabin sole. Lots of power - A4 - 30 HP. Full keel, boat rarely heels more than 10 degrees in a 20 knot beam wind.

I love it!

Gary
post #13 of 38 Old 10-22-2014
That Drunk Guy

I vote for a mid 80s Newport 30...if you happen to be on the west coast they are in abundance.

Hallberg Rassy - Monsun 31

post #14 of 38 Old 10-22-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
Yep. Of course, you'd end up with a $30,000 old shoe, but it would be exactly the way YOU want it. Unless I misunderstood the O.P., it seems like they're just looking for a nicer version of what they currently own. Sometimes it makes sense to sell and buy something else, but, in my experience, that's only when it meets one of the two following criteria:

1. It's cheaper to sell what you have and buy a better one than it would be to update your currently owned item to a similar condition.

2. The design of your current possession no longer fits your mission, i.e., your boat is obviously too small, or the maintenance-to-fun ratio is off (too much woodwork?) or what you have costs too much to maintain and you need to downsize...etc.

If neither of those two are the case, why NOT just keep you boat and sink the money into making it what you want it to be?

While it's probably true that, with boats OR cars, you usually won't get the money you sink into your vehicle OUT of it when you sell it, it's almost ALWAYS cheaper (and at least for me, more satisfying) to keep improving and using something you already own than it is to buy another one in better condition.

Just another way of looking at it..

Barry
Trying to look at my current boat with an eye of a fixer. There is not an inch of the surface that doesnt have cracks. Head is not working. Atomic4 just has to go no matter how much Moyer saints bring it back to life. Boat needs some (anything) electronics, radio, depth, wind at least? there is only so much my wonderful Navionics on my phone can do. Also need set of beefier shrouds. They are undersized for a tall rig.

So all in all i guess between going diesel, complete surface refinish, new head and shrouds I can spend 25-30k and thats if I do some of the work myself. And then there is small stuff like stove, very old wiring, no cabin lighting, etc ,etc.

I can go the other route and strip it of off everything it has and go racing
post #15 of 38 Old 10-22-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
For a big cockpit, it is difficult to beat a Tartan 10. High freeboard, reasonable performance, a smallish engine, (but bigger than the Pearson Flyer's), and some space below for food & minimal accommodations. People race them on the Chi-Mac and say they can plane with the chute up. The deck-stepped mast means you can probably handle stepping & takedown without a crane. One owner I know of put his on a trailer and overwintered it in his back yard. Prices should be reasonable if you can find one near you.
Just looked it up online. This is a great suggestion. Thank you.
post #16 of 38 Old 10-25-2014

Wait, wait. You DON'T want a bigger boat????

You've been cured of foot-itis! It's a miracle!

PS, have you looked at a Catalina 34?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 38 Old 10-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val v View Post
Trying to look at my current boat with an eye of a fixer. There is not an inch of the surface that doesnt have cracks. Head is not working. Atomic4 just has to go no matter how much Moyer saints bring it back to life. Boat needs some (anything) electronics, radio, depth, wind at least? there is only so much my wonderful Navionics on my phone can do. Also need set of beefier shrouds. They are undersized for a tall rig.

So all in all i guess between going diesel, complete surface refinish, new head and shrouds I can spend 25-30k and thats if I do some of the work myself. And then there is small stuff like stove, very old wiring, no cabin lighting, etc ,etc.

I can go the other route and strip it of off everything it has and go racing
Well, it sure sounds like you're faced with some serious work on your boat. Your 25-30K estimate, though, sure seems VERY high, unless you're planning on just making a phone call and writing a check.

The heads not working? Depending upon how you deal with that, you could take care of that for $250 (rip it all out and put in a Thetford 550P MSD; basically, a portapotty w/ pumpout and vent fittings) and not ever have to mess with a holding tank or plumbing again. The $250 includes new hoses and fittings. Even if you wanted to maintain a traditional head, the dollar value of replacing everything with brand new great stuff should be well under $1K.

The deck cracks... well.. yeah.. it's a ton of labor. Is it all cosmetic, or do you have wet cores? If it's cosmetic, do a little at a time. When you get one section looking pretty good, it'll give you a little "lift" and you'll feel more like attacking another section.. and another.. and you'll get better at it.. and faster.. before you know it, it's done (like, in a year or two.. ). Again, the price for materials is pretty minimal.

"Need," or "want" electronics? Yeah, I'd hate to be without a depth finder, compass, or radio. Those, in my completely inexperienced opinion, are "needs." Add the "wants" as you go.

Wiring is relatively cheap to do, too. Routing wires can be difficult, I guess, but it's not THAT bad.. and when it is, there's always decent looking surface molding options. Cabin lighting? I redid all of ours with LED bulbs (7 fixtures) for about $100. The fixtures were there already, but they weren't anything special.. white plastic... they can't possibly cost much. Of course, if you want nice, salty-looking brass/bronze/chrome/zebrawood fixtures, you can spend as much as you want.

The engine, of course, is the biggie. I don't know much about marine engines, diesel or the Atomic 4. If yours really "has to go," then yeah, you're looking at spending some serious dough, but still... what... $5000?

Shrouds? Again, we're talking a couple hundred bucks.

Step back.. take a breath... decide to tackle ONE of the projects.. do it.

On the other hand, if you are sick of looking at all of the stuff wrong and that's all you can see (I get it.. I've been there), then it may be worth it to YOU to dump it and just get something in great condition and go sailing. BELIEVE me, I get it. I got kind of burnt out this year fixing stuff myself. However, now I've got a boat that I trust, an engine I trust, and am REALLY looking forward to next season. AND I've still got most of my money..

Best to you. Not trying to sway you either way. Time IS money, and there are definitely times when it's worth it to spend money to get back some time.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Here's to one of the best friends and companions I've ever had; the white GSD in my avatar. Passed away suddenly on Aug 14, 2017, at 9 1/2 years of age. We love and miss you, Mel, and we will be together again.
post #18 of 38 Old 10-25-2014

You may have better luck being in the market ... .
Sorry, couldn't resist
on the market - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
Val v likes this.

Sailing - The fine art of slowly going nowhere at great expense while being cold, wet and miserable.

Irv Heller

post #19 of 38 Old 10-25-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaviGsr View Post
Wait, wait. You DON'T want a bigger boat????

You've been cured of foot-itis! It's a miracle!

PS, have you looked at a Catalina 34?
Well, I've been told size doesnt matter but then again we werent talking boats at the time. But seriously, last two weeks the club was pulling boats out. There is something to be said about say a j30 getting picked up by a single hook and dropping it straight on a trailer. Job done.
post #20 of 38 Old 10-25-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog8It View Post
You may have better luck being in the market ... .
Sorry, couldn't resist
This is funny! I had a good laugh over this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in