Advice for Trans Atlantic Crossings - SailNet Community
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 Old 11-05-2014 Thread Starter

Advice for Trans Atlantic Crossings

Here are my top 5 tips for anyone crossing the Atlantic this year:

Top 5 Tips for crossing the Atlantic - International Yacht Delivery | Halcyon Yachts

Does anyone else have any pearls of wisdom to add for any first timers out there?

Pete

Halcyon Yachts - International Yacht Delivery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 11-05-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Re: Advice for Trans Atlantic Crossings

Excellent top 5 tips. Thanks for sharing. Totally agree.

1. Keep sail plan simple is a must especially at nite, even it means it will go slower. When wind picks at night, darkness and stiff wind will make everything 10 times harder. It sucks when you need to wake up everyone to help you on deck. Plan for long haul and well rested body and mind. No need to break the world records.

2. I found spending a day to prepare the fancy gourmet meals before departure is easier. I vacuum pack the food and keep it frozen. Even without refrigeration, the food will last 5 to 10 days. Often I precook the pasta for shortening meal preparation. For example, linguine with white clam sauce will take less than 15 min with actual galley is less than 5 mins. Less chance to get sick.

I am looking forward to sailing from Tenerife to St. Martin in early Jan 2015. It will my first for this leg.
Halcyon1 and christian.hess like this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockDAWG For This Useful Post:
Halcyon1 (11-06-2014)
post #3 of 75 Old 11-05-2014
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Excellent top 5 tips. Thanks for sharing. Totally agree.
For example, linguine with white clam sauce will take less than 15 min with actual galley is less than 5 mins. Less chance to get sick.
If you have a proclivity for getting seasick, you'd better NOT embark on an ocean voyage that could last 20 days or more! THAT'S JUST MADNESS.
The 'get out of trouble free card' may work fairly well between the states and the Caribbean or Hawaii, but the long haul west bound transAt is not in an area frequented by merchant vessels, nor within easy range of the USCG.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 75 Old 11-05-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
If you have a proclivity for getting seasick, you'd better NOT embark on an ocean voyage that could last 20 days or more! THAT'S JUST MADNESS.
The 'get out of trouble free card' may work fairly well between the states and the Caribbean or Hawaii, but the long haul west bound transAt is not in an area frequented by merchant vessels, nor within easy range of the USCG.
Well, if you haven't got seasick, you have not tried hard enough. Everyone will get seasick in the right conditions. No reason to tempt fates. Seasickness does not discriminate.

Stop trolling.
jcwhite likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
post #5 of 75 Old 11-05-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

If you are part of an organized rally or group do not get sucked into leaving with a bad forecast.

The rally organizer may be under commercial pressures to stick to dates, YOU ARE NOT.

Look hard at the weather charts and make your own decision. There are instances of groups leaving when any rational sailor with an ounce of weather sense would have stayed in port.
post #6 of 75 Old 11-05-2014
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Well, if you haven't got seasick, you have not tried hard enough. Everyone will get seasick in the right conditions. No reason to tempt fates. Seasickness does not discriminate.

Stop trolling.
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Again, you know not of what you post! I know hundreds of mariners (and I'm NOT talking about fair weather sailors here) with more sea time individually than you could get in three lifetimes the way you are going, who have never been sea sick.
It isn't a matter of when or if; it just doesn't work that way.
Seasickness could be fatal on a voyage of 10 to 20 days, so in your own words, 'No reason to tempt fates.' I couldn't imagine doing any ocean voyage where I was afraid to go below because I might get seasick. If you have that problem, you'd better stick to day sailing and leave the offshore work to those who are comfortable below or on deck.
jimrafford likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 75 Old 11-05-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
If you are part of an organized rally or group do not get sucked into leaving with a bad forecast.

The rally organizer may be under commercial pressures to stick to dates, YOU ARE NOT.

Look hard at the weather charts and make your own decision. There are instances of groups leaving when any rational sailor with an ounce of weather sense would have stayed in port.
Not sure if this was addressed to me or not. No, we don't belong to any Rally, we are like a free range chicken. Oh yeah, I don't buy the Rally's claim - safety in numbers.

But I do agree your assessment.

Fine Print:
post #8 of 75 Old 11-05-2014

Quote:
No, it's not madness. You just have to know yourself. I have a very strong proclivity for getting seasick. I can pretty much count on it every voyage. I get sick. I get over it. I go on. For me, it's not a big deal.

I realize that it is a very big deal for some people. There are those who are rendered completely incapable of any activity for days on end by it. Those folks should probably think twice about an ocean voyage. But most don't get it that bad. Most are over the symptoms within a couple of days.

A proclivity for getting seasick is definitely NOT a reason to avoid an ocean voyage, assuming that you are willing to deal with and manage the symptoms.
post #9 of 75 Old 11-05-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Again, you know not of what you post! I know hundreds of mariners (and I'm NOT talking about fair weather sailors here) with more sea time individually than you could get in three lifetimes the way you are going, who have never been sea sick.
It isn't a matter of when or if; it just doesn't work that way.
Seasickness could be fatal on a voyage of 10 to 20 days, so in your own words, 'No reason to tempt fates.' I couldn't imagine doing any ocean voyage where I was afraid to go below because I might get seasick. If you have that problem, you'd better stick to day sailing and leave the offshore work to those who are comfortable below or on deck.
You upset with me, because you could not find any female companion to sail with you. You don't take my advise how to find one. This may tell you something. Loneliness sucks.

If you have some formal education and perhaps some courses in human physiology, you will understand the etiology of motion sickness.

My last response to you. I don't want this good relevant topic goes to hell like most of them.

Fine Print:
post #10 of 75 Old 11-05-2014
S/V Calypso

Nothing says "I don't have anything to add" like name calling and dirt slinging. Thanks for keeping it classy around here guys.
blowinstink and WGEwald like this.

The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate. – Bern Williams

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in