Where to get Class 4D flooded batteries in Miami FL area? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 11-21-2014 Thread Starter
Cruiser

Question Where to get Class 4D flooded batteries in Miami FL area?

Seeking local knowledge. Does anyone know a supplier / dealer / depot where I can purchase lead-acid deep-cycle Class 4D house batteries, in Miami FL, hopefully close to dockage? We will be cruising there shortly and I am not familiar with the area. Looking for basic type - Deka, Intercell or other.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-21-2014

Re: Where to get Class 4D flooded batteries in Miami FL area?

Contact East Penn Manufacturing ? The world's largest single site, family-owned lead-acid battery manufacturer (Deka Batteries) and ask for the contact information of a stocking distributor of their marine grade, deep cycle batteries in the Miami area, then call that distributor and see if they wont kindly 'deliver'.
FWIW - I think WM still uses Deka as their prime battery supplier.
post #3 of 29 Old 11-21-2014

NAPA auto stores

post #4 of 29 Old 11-21-2014
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I think Atlantic Batteries is the Deka wholesale distributor for Miami.
ATLANTICBATTERY.COM, WHOLESALE, RETAIL, BATTERY, BATTERIES, DEKA, MARINE, BOAT, AGM, GEL, MIAMI FL, 33166, 305 883-6001

But a fast web search on "Miami Battery Wholesaler" or "Distributor" or "golf Cart Batteries" will get you all the hits, and someone at the dock may be able to tell you which one gives the best pricing--probably including delivery and removal of your old ones.

There are also a couple of distributors up in Fort Lauderdale but I'd expect the pricing to be the same. Might be worth a call to them to make sure though.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-21-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by argalax View Post
Seeking local knowledge. Does anyone know a supplier / dealer / depot where I can purchase lead-acid deep-cycle Class 4D house batteries, in Miami FL, hopefully close to dockage? We will be cruising there shortly and I am not familiar with the area. Looking for basic type - Deka, Intercell or other.
Thanks.
You can easily find 4D's just about everywhere. Finding a flooded "deep cycle" 4D proves much more challenging. Deka does not make a "deep cycle" flooded 4D battery but they do make a "dual purpose" and a starting version.....

The only true deep cycle flooded 4D that I know of is made by Dyno Battery in WA state.. Course this begs the question I always have, and that is, why use 4D's at all?

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-22-2014 at 09:17 AM.
post #6 of 29 Old 11-21-2014

Agree on Atlantic Battery. They are tops. (305) 796-3730. I would not buy elsewhere and I don't.

Regrds,
Ron
post #7 of 29 Old 11-22-2014

Only suggestion I would make would be to explore the idea of going with golf cart 6 volts instead. I switched because I'm getting too old to risk wrecking my back getting 4D's in and out of my boat one more time.

And, they are true deep cycle batteries.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #8 of 29 Old 11-24-2014
Schooner Captain

Look at interstate SRM-4D this is what we use in our house bank. They are true deep cycle, with heavy plates. (I have seen a blown up one) Cost is about $200 each, and are rated as 200AH, thou I suspect 160AH is more likely at a shorter 20 hour rate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 29 Old 11-24-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
Look at interstate SRM-4D this is what we use in our house bank. They are true deep cycle, with heavy plates. (I have seen a blown up one) Cost is about $200 each, and are rated as 200AH, thou I suspect 160AH is more likely at a shorter 20 hour rate.
Sadly this is is called "marketing mumbo jumbo" or really "misleading marketing" IMHO... the SRM-4D is a "dual purpose" battery or what they call "deep cycle/cranking".. Everyone else with this battery is more straight forward and simply refers to it as a dual purpose battery.

The Interstate SRM-4D is made by Johnson Controls/JCI for Interstate. Their U series golf cart batteries (GC-2's), which are deep cycle are also made by JCI. Their larger batteries in the deep cycle line (L16's etc) are still made by US Battery.

The old U2200 6V, that was manufactured by US Battery was an excellent high quality high cycling GC2 battery. Now that it is made by JCI I really have no idea of what the quality is, at least in terms of cycles. JCI/Interstate will not publish, nor do they test for, lab rated cycle life data. The bottom line is the SRM 24, 27, 31 and 4D could have about half the cycle life of the U2200 GC-2 golf car battery (source Roy H. & Joe S. @ IB). They are simply not a true "deep cycle" battery they are a dual purpose battery.

A number of years ago I actually called interstate to try and find out the Ah rating, plate thickness and Peukerts constant of the SRM-4D for a customer who had already purchased them.. What a debacle it was.

Even their tech support had no real clue about these batteries. I got three different answers, from three different levels of tech support/engineering, when I asked about the 20 hour Ah rating, Peukert, plate thickness and lab rated cycle compared to their "U" series batteries...

I finally got in touch with Roy H. and Joe S. who were able to get me Peukerts constants but JCI does not test those batteries for a true 20 hour rate. A 20 hour rate has to be backward engineered. Roy H. and Joe S. were excellent guys to finally get in touch with but they still lacked data because JCI does not provide it.

If you have or use a battery monitor you really need to know the precise 20 hour Ah rating & Peukerts, at a bare minimum, or it will not work correctly. Interstate/JCI simply don't publish a 20 hour rate, which is what we use for deep cycle batteries. They publish Reserve Minutes, 5 Hour, 15 Hour and 25 Hour but not a 20 hour...?

If the manufacturer does not publish a 20 hour Ah rating the battery is usually not a true deep cycle battery but then again Interstate does not market this as a true deep cycle battery, they market it as a deep cycle/cranking battery. In other words, dual purpose. The cycle life will be and is reflective of this in a deep cycling application.

You can ask them for the cycle life of the 4D compared to their GC-2 "U" series battery. Unless things have changed dramatically, you will be met with dead silence, as I was. They can, and do, have cycle life data on their true deep cycle products made by USB but not the stuff made by JCI..

Early on I never did get a an accurate 20 hour rate even after speaking with multiple people over about a week. Even after talking with Roy H. I still had to physically measure the battery by doing a 20 hour load test. I guessed it was 8A, based on the 25 hour and 15 hour rates, but an 8A load at 80F only resulted in 138 Ah's out of the SRM 4D battery.

The problem with capacity testing flooded batteries is they take a long time to cycle up to capacity. GEL and AGM will deliver rated capacity in 2-10 cycles but flooded batteries can take 50+. So even with accurate capacity testing I still had no way to know what the actual 20 hour rate was until the batteries were broken in? Very frustrating...

Anyone who tests a lot of batteries, like I do, can tell pretty quickly by by simply looking at the CCA of that battery that it is not a true deep cycle flooded cell battery. A deep cycling battery would have a lower CCA value in a flooded deep cycle cell or not even be rated in cranking amps.

Interstate labels it as "deep cycle/cranking" these are hybrid batteries that attempt to do both but almost always miss the mark when put into a true deep cycling application like on a cruising boat. The bottom line is to always question the marketing mumbo jumbo...

As I mentioned above one of the only true 4D flooded deep cycle batteries I know if is the Dyno 4Dd (the small "d" designates deep cycle). This is not to be confused with the Dyno 4D which is for starting. This battery has an Ah rating of 180 Ah's and cost $268.00 and like many true deep cycle, thick plate batteries, they do not publish a CCA value.

My best guess is the SRM 4D is a 150-160 Ah battery at the 20 hour rate but it is not going to give the cycles of a true deep cycle battery.

When buying batteries we don't just pay for Ah's we also pay for cycle life.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-24-2014 at 11:47 AM.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-24-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
A number of years ago I actually called interstate to try and find out the Ah rating, plate thickness and Peukerts constant of the SRM-4D for a customer who had already purchased them.. What a debacle it was.

Even their tech support had no real clue about these batteries. I got three different answers, from three different levels of tech support/engineering, when I asked about the 20 hour Ah rating, Peukert, plate thickness and lab rated cycle compared to their "U" series batteries...
The person I spoke to owned a franchise. He not only sold these, but also all manner of fork lift battery, as well as other deep cycle brands. Over the year he cut every battery apart. When they redesigned the SRM-4d a few years ago he was curious, and cut a new one open.
In his words:
The new SRM-4D is a true deep cycle, with plates that are thicker, and only thinner then the ones in the forklift battery. I would be happy to give you his number and you can speak with him all day and tell him they are not as thick as (insert battery here), and it is not a deep cycle battery because of reasons.

Once I arrived in florida I saw a blown apart core for myself at sailors exchange. Yes, the plates are massively thick, I have also seen a dual purpose battery...

This one decided it would rather not work for me any longer.... This is the old style dual propose.
Quote:
When buying batteries we don't just pay for Ah's we also pay for cycle life.
Your correct, also keep in mind even good batteries have a failure rate, and if you have 10 on a boat one failing early can and does happen, when my one battery fails, I am out $200, not $400-600. I can replace this battery 3 times for the same price as a lifeline of the same AH. Most I have run into with them, and the dealer himself will tell you its a 6-7 year battery with good care and hard use. The forklift he believes is a 10-12 year battery. How many years you getting from your "true deep cycle" batteries.
Frankly I believe that's all marketing too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in