Questions on the Catalina 445 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-05-2015 Thread Starter

Questions on the Catalina 445

Anybody active here with direct experience on the C445?

I've been looking for a boat that will take me into a semi-retirement and beyond. I can handle my C36 very easily and had been thinking that I needed to stay 38' or less to continue to singlehand for docking and spinnaker work. Never the less, some people are working toward convincing me that 44' is not that much of a problem. Given a bow thruster and all, is the boat size much of an issue?

I was hoping to get a more solid boat than my Catalina 36. I know my C36 is built very strong, but the bulkheads are not tabbed in. When I'm sailing hard upwind into a 4' chop it sounds like an old wooden sailing ship, with all the bulkheads and furniture moving a bit. I've noticed the new Catalina 5 series have all bulkheads glued in place. Is that going to keep her quiet when sailing hard?

My limitations on cost are not too severe. Last week I was looking at the Blue Jacket 40 but I found the aft cabin too small for those times when I sail with friends. Looking at a new Hallberg Rassy 372, but I just don't like the traveler in the cockpit. Current front runners in my thinking are Catalina 385, Catalina 445, and X Yacht Xc38. I'd considered a used Malo, but I think it might be heavy and slow. I like the 412, but I'm never going to find a used one and $650,000 is getting to be a bit much. I'll feel less irresponsible if I keep it under 500K. Any other models I should be considering?

Thanks,

GJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-06-2015

Re: Questions on the Catalina 445

She hasn't been around in a while but SNer Merlna moved up to a C445 last year.

Here's her thread on the boat:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...-new-boat.html

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 20 Old 01-06-2015

I don't know what kind of sailing you like to do, how many people you routinely carry, etc., etc., but if you like your 36 and it serves your needs, the 385 will give you the build quality of the 445 in a more manageable & familiar package. That said, I've got a Catalina 50 that's set up very well for shorthanded sailing and think that the 445 would be very similar in feel and performance. My setup includes:

1. all lines led back to the cockpit
2. main on Harken battcars with a stack pack (you can go in-mast, but I don't like it)
3. a good jib furler, properly installed
4. electric halyard winch (helpful in a pinch and great for going up the mast)
5. a good autopilot (don't cheap out on this one)
6. a good windlass
7. a powerful bow thruster with wireless remote if you want to dock singlehanded

If you do go big, it's very important that you go with high-grade running rigging to get as much friction and stretch out of sail handling as possible. Vectran halyards, oversized ball bearing mast base turning blocks, large deck organizers, oversized winches, etc. are all helpful and will allow you to manage larger sails with the same effort. I also find that it's easier to shorthand a boat that's less tender, so I'd go with deep draft over shoal if at all possible.

Mine's a piece of cake to sail with two people and with the exception of docking, I can singlehand it for just about everything else. If/when I get the thruster remote I think I'll be able to manage solo docking as well. Underway, the boat is so big and stable that I find it's much less stressful and risky to go forward on deck in bigger seas than on my old 31'.

A 45 or 50 foot boat can be a handful but having all that waterline length is a lot like having a car with a big V8. You don't always use its full capabilities and it can be demanding but when conditions allow, it gets up and goes like nothing else.

post #4 of 20 Old 01-06-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
I don't know what kind of sailing you like to do, how many people you routinely carry, etc., etc., but if you like your 36 and it serves your needs, the 385 will give you the build quality of the 445 in a more manageable & familiar package. ...[much deleted]... You don't always use its full capabilities and it can be demanding but when conditions allow, it gets up and goes like nothing else.
Thanks for your suggestions. I had a bow thruster installed last year on my C36. The Edison pedestal is so crowded with wires that I had them install the thruster primary control in an inconvenient location but then include a remote control. Having experienced the remote control on the thruster I would never do it any other way if I planned on docking solo. In a crosswind I can easily catch a midship spring or stern line, then keep the bow in place while I casually stroll up there to tie a line. I'm hoping it works the same in a larger boat. Unfortunately I need to stay with a shoal keel in order to retain access at some very nice anchorages.

GJ
post #5 of 20 Old 01-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJackson View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I had a bow thruster installed last year on my C36. The Edison pedestal is so crowded with wires that I had them install the thruster primary control in an inconvenient location but then include a remote control. Having experienced the remote control on the thruster I would never do it any other way if I planned on docking solo. In a crosswind I can easily catch a midship spring or stern line, then keep the bow in place while I casually stroll up there to tie a line. I'm hoping it works the same in a larger boat. Unfortunately I need to stay with a shoal keel in order to retain access at some very nice anchorages.

GJ
Good to know you like the thruster remote. It's on the project list, there are just a bunch of things above it!

I think Melrna got a shoal draft 445 and she says it's pretty stiff (10-15 degree heel), so it may not be an issue. My C50 has a shoal draft keel too (5'9" draft) and generally stays below 15 degrees but it's a different hull design so I don't know if it's apples to apples. That said, I believe Catalina increases the weight of their shoal draft keels to keep the righting moment the same no matter which version you get.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-06-2015
Mr. Cocktail

Check out http://www.mrcocktailsailing.com This is my 2011 445, Hull #41. The Equipment Specifications are listed on the Site. Overall, I have been thrilled with my Boat. With this being said, it is clearly, having toured some more recent Boats, that they've learned from the earlier Design. Those things that frustrate me to no end, seem to have been addressed, in the more recent Boats.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-07-2015
Catalina 400 MKII

Don't have any experience on the Catalina 445, but I do own a Catalina 400. Similar in many ways, I find my boat to be easy to single-hand. Like IStream, I have the boat rigged to make it easier, but I have in-mast furling. I don't have a remote on my bow thruster, but I find the boat quite easy to dock. A 445 would be a great boat from what I hear about them, and based on my experience on the 400.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
Good to know you like the thruster remote. It's on the project list, there are just a bunch of things above it!
Oooooh, I just Love gizmos like bow thruster remotes...

What could POSSIBLY go wrong...?

:-))
post #9 of 20 Old 01-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

It just adds to the thrill!
post #10 of 20 Old 01-07-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

Satirical comments a usually amusing, but I distinctly remember the same comments in made 1992 regarding roller furling. In 1988 it was considered folly to go cruising offshore without the tools for celestial navigation and a working knowledge of how to use them. Things change and technologies eventually transition from silly gizmos to standard practice

If it were really foolhardy to depend on such gizmos as bow thrusters then it interesting to observe the percentage of commercial vessels that have them and the percentage of veteran sea captains who have come to depend on them.

GTJ
JimMcGee likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in