SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Boat transport - overland (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/182113-boat-transport-overland.html)

malyea 01-07-2015 09:33 AM

Boat transport - overland
 
Any recommendations for a good, reputable overland boat transport company? .... any companies to avoid?

If I can't sell my 1982 Hunter 30 by mid-August, I'll take her with us when we move to St Augustine. Currently she's slipped on Lake Allatoona just north of Atlanta.

Easy to find some companies online but I'm interested if anyone has had direct experience - good or bad - with any particular company.

Thanks!

bbbmarine 01-07-2015 11:28 AM

Re: Boat transport - overland
 
Thomas Duncan Trucking moved my boat and did a very good job.

phone 9034457964
fax 8775713864

He lives in Texas but boat movers combine trips when possible to avoid empty runs.

MedSailor 01-07-2015 12:00 PM

Re: Boat transport - overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by malyea (Post 2483041)
Any recommendations for a good, reputable overland boat transport company? .... any companies to avoid?

If I can't sell my 1982 Hunter 30 by mid-August, I'll take her with us when we move to St Augustine. Currently she's slipped on Lake Allatoona just north of Atlanta.

Easy to find some companies online but I'm interested if anyone has had direct experience - good or bad - with any particular company.

Thanks!


Absolutely great experience with Associated Boat Transport. They moved my 35,000lb Nauticat 40 with no issues at all. Very professional, lowest price and ahead of schedule.

I DID run into huge problems with the riggers who decommissioned the boat, and there were many other variables with this shipping that I had not bargained for. In the end it has cost me nearly a year and $40,000 in insurance claims to get the boat operational again. The only good part of the experience was the trucking company itself. Everything else about moving the boat was a disaster.

MedSailor

miatapaul 01-07-2015 04:57 PM

Re: Boat transport - overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MedSailor (Post 2483257)
Absolutely great experience with Associated Boat Transport. They moved my 35,000lb Nauticat 40 with no issues at all. Very professional, lowest price and ahead of schedule.

I DID run into huge problems with the riggers who decommissioned the boat, and there were many other variables with this shipping that I had not bargained for. In the end it has cost me nearly a year and $40,000 in insurance claims to get the boat operational again. The only good part of the experience was the trucking company itself. Everything else about moving the boat was a disaster.

MedSailor

I was surprised when I first started reading this post, as it seemed you would find it hard to find something good about that boat move. In case the Original poster has nothing to do for the next several hours, here is his sorted tail:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...ate-boats.html

The one thing I have to say is MedSailor keep his cool through the whole adventure! Glad he has something positive to say about the move. You will want to vet anyone very carefully as some of the guys out there don't have the best equipment and experience with sailboats. Boats were made to be used on water not concrete and if the two meet it is never good!

malyea 01-07-2015 06:34 PM

Re: Boat transport - overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by miatapaul (Post 2484193)
You will want to vet anyone very carefully......

Exactly....so, how's a good way to do that?

Other than word o' mouth, recommendations, referrals, etc is there any other really good way to tell whos's a good boat transporter and more importantly - who's not?

miatapaul 01-07-2015 07:37 PM

Re: Boat transport - overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by malyea (Post 2484369)
Exactly....so, how's a good way to do that?

Other than word o' mouth, recommendations, referrals, etc is there any other really good way to tell whos's a good boat transporter and more importantly - who's not?

Word of mouth is best, you can ask for referrals, and call them. Check for insurance and proper DOT licenses. There are a few folks on here that are in the trucking business and they may lend some ideas. U-Ship is a source for getting an idea of prices, but I would be very cautious as to actually using them as there have been lots of nightmare stories.

Zemurray 12-08-2019 04:19 PM

Re: Boat transport - overland
 
4 years ago.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome