Which 27 ?? - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 01-20-2015 Thread Starter

Question Which 27 ??

I've been looking at a couple of 27 ft boats, a 1982 Hunter 27 and a 1983 Catalina 27.

The Hunter has seen much better care over the last 15 years (one owner, raised their boys sailing on it) The Catalina is in rough cosmetic shape, but has a fresher engine, transmission, cutlass bearing.

But, a 1982 Newport 27 just came on the market. From the listing, it looks to be in pretty good shape. I know nothing about a Newport.

Any thoughts on these boats for a would-be first time sailboat owner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-20-2015

Re: Which 27 ??

Check out Ericson 27 . . .
post #3 of 46 Old 01-20-2015 Thread Starter

Ok, will do

EDIT: Dang, the Ericson 27 sure looks like a NICE boat!!

Last edited by VF84Sluggo; 01-20-2015 at 11:09 PM.

post #4 of 46 Old 01-21-2015
Remember you're a womble

Or a C&C27.... lots of choice.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 46 Old 01-21-2015
Don't call me a "senior"!

With older boats (1970s/1980s) it's often a matter of how well the boat has been maintained, rather than who the original builder was. That said, some makes tend to hold up much better than others. In fact, older Catalinas, Hunters, and Newports tend to suffer with age much more than most other brands, although newer Catalinas and Hunters seem to be fairly well built (Newport went belly-up years ago). Ericsons tend to be pretty well-built, and their interiors were finished quite a bit better than most of their contemporaries. But they also tend to be a bit slower than many of the "coastal cruiser"/"club racer" sort of boats from that era.

All that said, any boat that has been really well-maintained and has has some upgrades (such as installing proper thru-hulls, replacing dodgy keel bolts, installing backing plates on the deck hardware, maybe even replacing the ancient A4, etc.) would probably be better than a boat that was originally very well-made but subsequently neglected.
Faster, kwaltersmi and bljones like this.

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." --- E.B. White
post #6 of 46 Old 01-21-2015
That Drunk Guy

In my experience the older Ericson 27s a much better sailor then the Catalina, or Hunter from the same years. Newports and Ericsons are a step up in quality from the Catalinas or Hunters. I think the Newport 28 is a better boat than the 27.

These are just my opinions....but I'm really smart.
BarryL likes this.

Hallberg Rassy - Monsun 31
post #7 of 46 Old 01-21-2015 Thread Starter

For sure, with older boats overall condition is probably the major factor. Of the three that are for sale in my area, the Catalina looks the worst, but it might just be looks. A little elbow grease could have it polished and shined up in a few weekends. Mechanically, it might be in the best shape.

This is the link to the Newport that caught my eye:
Bluewater Bay Yachts, Inc. (Niceville, FL)
There's no mention of engine hours or condition, so it could be worn out.

Finally, all good suggestions on boat makes to consider. But, I'm at the mercy of what's for sale within a reasonable distance (Mobile, AL to Niceville, FL, with me in the middle.) Having a 30+ yr-old 27' boat shipped just doesn't make financial sense.
post #8 of 46 Old 01-21-2015

Even though this issue has been pounded to death, I'll say it one more time.

An older Atomic 4 engine should not be a deal breaker in my opinion. The support, availability of parts, and simplicity are all there to make it a dependable auxiliary.

There are even those of us in our alternate universe that prefer to have a gas engine.

Skywalker
Tartan 27
1966 Atomic 4
sprega, Barquito, Ajax_MD and 2 others like this.
post #9 of 46 Old 01-21-2015

We have a Catalina 27 (1973) and love it. One very big advantage (in my opinion) is that you can easily get just about ANY part you might need for it. Catalina Direct: has proved to be a GREAT resource (standing rigging, mast head, chain plates, lifeline fittings, etc). Just about ANYTHING that's on that boat is available through them.

Also a TON of Catalina 27s out there, so easy to find one in a bone yard and pick it clean for things you might need.

~markb

~markb

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
post #10 of 46 Old 01-21-2015

Check out Cal 27 and 2-27 as well. These tend to be very solid boats that sail well. If you like to consider full keel boats, Cape Dory 27 is an excellent choice.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in