SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Get your nose out of your phone!

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 · (Edited)

#5 ·
Looks like the stories about phone radiation induced brain damage are true.

#9 ·
Texting the smoking hot girl friend narrative is much better than the narrative of that the whale had rolled over to wave to the guy and in order not to wave back to the whale the guy started texting on his phone.

Reactions: flyingwelshman
#11 ·
Just goes to show you how much we have all missed by looking in the wrong direction.

Once, sailing alone, just after sunset, I lowered my head just a tad when adjusting my chartplotter from day mode to night mode, when an 18 ft tentacle came out of the sea from astern of my boat and took a swipe at my skull.

It just missed me, I never saw it coming or going. If I hadn't looked down at that little screen that claw and suction cup would have grabbed me by the face and pulled me over and under.

I would be just another ghost clanging halyards against masts on foggy summer nights.

#16 ·
It's a drifting time, people are fascinated by screens,
No idea what's on the other side.
We stare at doom like an uptight groom,
And live our lives like a drunken bride.
Tonight I feel something on the wind,
Deep inside where we have to die or kill.
Something I know I didn't know I knew,
I learned from Billy from the hills
- Greg Brown

#13 ·
True story from Georgian Bay. Couple of years ago I was returning from Parry Sound and docked for the night at Henry's on San Sochi ( hope I spelled that right ). I was there for just under 24 hrs. The whole time a big power cruiser was docked beside as, a couple about my age on board. That whole time I never saw the guy without a cell phone stuck to his ear, and I mean never! So hears the kicker. To save on the holding tank I'm using the public washrooms. So I go to the washroom and when I go inside here's the guy having a pee, and still yakking away on his bloody cell phone!!! WTF. Now there's no dought , from the boat he's on, that he's got a dollar or two. And I'm sure he was arranging some multi million dollar deal or something. Still, I pity the fool!

#14 ·
Maybe we can get a grant to study the possibility that the electromagnetic radiation given off by a cell phone releases endorphins into the brain giving the user a high. Why else walk around with a cell phone stuck on the side of your head?

#15 ·
Rob needs to use a restroom at an airport and enters an empty stall. As he sits, someone enters the stall next to him, rummages for a few seconds and then says, "hello". Finding in inappropriate to talk to a stranger in the next stall, Rob decides not to answer. A few seconds later, the fella in the next stall says again, "hello, are you there?". Feeling even more uncomfortable, but thinking this guy will just get more aggressive, Rob decides to reply, "what do you want?". The guy then says, "oh, hold on a second, the guy in the stall next to me is saying something".

#17 ·
Absolutely the rudest thing possible for a person to do is to flush a toilet while yapping on the phone.

Reactions: Minnewaska
#18 ·
Subject of original post was not texting smoking hot 25 year old girlfriend, actually he was texting his wife, text went something like this...
"Won't make it home tonight honey, there are just to many of these pesty whales
about to navigate home tonight". Smoking hot 25 year old girlfriend is
making cocktails in cabin below!

#19 ·
True story from the days of the marine operator. You made a collect call, via the marine operator, to your home. How old does one need to be to remember the marine operator? Geesh.

We were anchored in Long Island Sound (its been so many years I don't recall specifically) and overheard the guy immediately next to us make a call. He told his wife that conditions were too foggy to leave and he would have to stay the night. As you can see coming, it was a beautiful day.

#25 ·
If you lived & sailed on the coast you'd know the answer to that.

I do and trust me, you do not get whales close enough to smell - ever. That mouth breather missed a once in a lifetime opportunity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.