Dinghy theft protection - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 89 Old 02-13-2015
Old enough to know better

Re: Dinghy theft protection

The one mooring field that is "public" by me there seems to be two things that people do. They adhere to the "ugliest dingy" but the problem is there seems to be a competition going on. One worse than the next. I suspect they even bail water into them to make them look like they are leaking. This is the ugliest gathering of aluminum flat bottom and boats and dented canoes that you have ever seen. So last years winner of the ugly boat competition now looks good in comparison to this years winner.

So the second attempt is now made, it needs to be locked up! Yes even these pieces of junk need to be locked up! I think a lot of the folks take there oars with them. None of them have motors on them by the way. One of them seems to use old anchor chain from the Mayflower, old and rusty, but so big I am surprised it does not sink the dingy.

There are a couple of fiberglass ones, and they have had splotches of paint sprayed on them. There attempt at making them "ugly" are so obvious they stick out.
zeehag likes this.

Last edited by miatapaul; 02-13-2015 at 10:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (02-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 89 Old 02-13-2015

I have set up an alarm system based on the following link.

If anyone is interested, pm me with your email address and I can supply an updated circuit diagram as I seem to remember that there was a small error with the attached diagram and I have an amended diagram on Excel. The circuit is based upon a $6 Radio shack relay

Dinghy Alarm

Most of the solutions I had seen before tell you after the dinghy has gone, This solution tells you that some one is trying to take it because as soon as the wire loop is cut, the alarm goes off. I have loud buzzers and lights attached to the relay.

We have also extended the circuit to allow us to have a “panic” button in the sleeping cabin in case you feel someone is too close at night.
The Following User Says Thank You to Triumphant For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (02-13-2015)
post #13 of 89 Old 02-13-2015

Around here, dingy theft is rare, so I don't know if this helps or the infrequency of dingy theft has been the solution.

We always have painted state registration numbers directly on the inflatables we've owned. I have figured it might be a pain to remove them, and that might be a deterrent. Obviously, this does nothing to deter motor theft.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (02-13-2015)

post #14 of 89 Old 02-13-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
We always have painted state registration numbers directly on the inflatables we've owned. I have figured it might be a pain to remove them, and that might be a deterrent.
Good point. One would certainly have to feel they could far enough away, quickly enough, to deal with them. Mine are vinyl lettering, but would be a bit tough to quickly remove and not look suspicious.

Obviously, this does nothing to deter motor theft.[/QUOTE]

I'm happy to hear motor theft prevention too, but I am focused on the whole boat. It's just so easy to take your pick, pull the cord and take off. I'm pleasantly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I confess that I'm also thinking about how you prevent a drunk from just taking the wrong dinghy. This, in fact, does happen to charters with some frequency. The idea of pulling the plug wire or something that makes it inoperable or gives the drunk enough time to realize they're in the wrong dink is attractive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 89 Old 02-13-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
I have set up an alarm system based on the following link........
Most dinghies don't have power. How does that work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #16 of 89 Old 02-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Most dinghies don't have power. How does that work?
This solution is designed to protect the dinghy when it is alongside the Mother vessel, i.e. at night at anchor.

The power for the alarm comes from the mother vessel and whatever devices you have attached to the alarm are on the mother vessel

The rest of the time when we are not attached to the mother vessel, we have to rely on chains cables and padlocks

Around these parts, if it raining heavily at night, it is a dinghy at risk night, the bad guys sometimes swim up to the dinghy and try and free it and let it drift down wind then take it away to remove the engine
The Following User Says Thank You to Triumphant For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (02-14-2015)
post #17 of 89 Old 02-13-2015 Thread Starter

A claymore on the transom would do it too. Just keep a low amp LED light on it all night.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #18 of 89 Old 02-13-2015
Mermaid Hunter

I have replaced the screws on my outboard with security bolts (the hex heads with studs in the middle). That means using a driver to get the engine on and off the dinghy but really not a big deal. I have a 20' stainless cable with vinyl coating. It's hooked to the towing padeye with an Abus marine lock and to the dock with another one (keyed the same). At night I hoist the dinghy up above the deck edge on a spinnaker halyard and lock the cable through a cleat.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

The Following User Says Thank You to SVAuspicious For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (02-14-2015)
post #19 of 89 Old 02-13-2015

As I can't advertise a company I can only suggest that anyone that may be interested try searching for cable lock alarms in the UK made by a firm that has the same 3 letters as a certain bunch of Special Forces characters hailing from the Hereford area. The alarms include one with a 15' cable for a cost somewhere between 29.88 and 30.00 and a decibel on cutting the cable or attacking the alarm of between 119db and 121db.
It should be possible to protect the unit from the elements by the use of a plastic zip closure type bag.
There, hope that classes as assistance rather than advertising.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mabinogion For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (02-14-2015)
post #20 of 89 Old 02-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabinogion View Post
As I can't advertise a company .......
You can't advertise YOUR company without running afoul of the rules here. If you know of (and want to pass on) a useful product or service with which you have no affiliation, generally that's OK...

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (02-14-2015)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in