Dinghy theft protection - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 89 Old 02-17-2015
Closet Powerboater

Re: Dinghy theft protection

One thing to remember is that thieves often come in via their own tender and tie up a bunch of dinks and tow them away. Disabling your motor will be of no help here, but I imagine these kinds of heists likely don't occur in broad daylight, so this may only be a risk at night or in out of the way places. On the other hand, towing one dink wouldn't attract much attention.

Using a small tracking device that is linked to an Iphone app would alert you that the dink was moving and let you know where it went. If the local cops aren't corrupt this could be of great assistance. Spot makes a satellite tracker for $99. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Spot-...3896481&rid=20

MedSailor
Minnewaska and Group9 like this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 02-17-2015 at 10:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MedSailor For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (02-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 89 Old 02-17-2015 Thread Starter

Med has a good idea. There are relatively inexpensive apps. You could hide a token somewhere aboard the dink and it would let you know its moved.

However, this may only work while you're aboard. I'm not sure how far away you can get from the token on shore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #53 of 89 Old 02-17-2015
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Med has a good idea. There are relatively inexpensive apps. You could hide a token somewhere aboard the dink and it would let you know its moved.

However, this may only work while you're aboard. I'm not sure how far away you can get from the token on shore.
Actually, that spot anti-theft device[/URL] is satellite based, so.... you could get pretty far away from it. You could affix it to the inside of the motor's cowling and you'd have a tracker for boat and motor theft. Seems like they have the boat market in mind as well because many of the bike theft devices use an accelerometer to detect motion whereas the spot can be put in "dock mode" whereby it will be immune to the motions of the boat but will only activate when it moves 200ft. Pretty cool....

http://www.findmespot.com/downloads/...User_Guide.pdf

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

post #54 of 89 Old 02-17-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
...You could affix it to the inside of the motor's cowling and you'd have a tracker for boat and motor theft...
Has anyone actually tried this? I'd be concerned about ignition components creating some electrical interference. Just guessing, though.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #55 of 89 Old 02-17-2015
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Actually, that spot anti-theft device[/URL] is satellite based, so.... you could get pretty far away from it. You could affix it to the inside of the motor's cowling and you'd have a tracker for boat and motor theft. Seems like they have the boat market in mind as well because many of the bike theft devices use an accelerometer to detect motion whereas the spot can be put in "dock mode" whereby it will be immune to the motions of the boat but will only activate when it moves 200ft. Pretty cool....

http://www.findmespot.com/downloads/...User_Guide.pdf

MedSailor
Some how this reminds me of the thread about the guy who was on an anniversary cruise with his wife, in the Caribbean and was killed by a guy trying to rob him.. If I remember right.. there were several posts on how the authorities didn't seem so gung-ho on solving the murder.

I am reminded in that I wonder, if this device might be a great way to track the criminals, but being futile because the authorities are not interested in tracking down the criminals..

Vector X Y
post #56 of 89 Old 02-18-2015

Well, we have the ugliest dinghy i have ever seen, (outside of one other)
its a water tender hard dink from west marine, when docked for long periods we use a cable and lock, but the vast majority of the time we tie it up to the dinghy dock, and go about our business, its always there when we get back. When compared to every other dinghy on the dock ours is unarguably the least attractive.

1977 Bristol 29.9 #17
A slave to the wind
The Following User Says Thank You to Pegu club For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (02-18-2015)
post #57 of 89 Old 02-18-2015
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu club View Post
Well, we have the ugliest dinghy i have ever seen, (outside of one other)
its a water tender hard dink from west marine, when docked for long periods we use a cable and lock, but the vast majority of the time we tie it up to the dinghy dock, and go about our business, its always there when we get back. When compared to every other dinghy on the dock ours is unarguably the least attractive.
I have a bicycle that is in kind of the same condition -- I keep the drive train in pretty good condition.. so it runs great,,, but I like that the old beer stickers are peeling off and so on.

Once, when I got it tuned up, the owner says: "Isn't it nice looking all shinny?" because they had put a little wax on it... I backed way from say --- I want it to look worthless, not steal-worthy?

Vector X Y
The Following User Says Thank You to titustiger27 For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (02-18-2015)
post #58 of 89 Old 02-19-2015

If you could stand the embarrassment, painting the entire dinghy and motor something like fluorescent green would probably serve not only as a deterrent to theft, but also make recovery much easier.

You're not trying to stop a thief from stealing a dinghy (that would be hard), you're just trying to stop him from stealing yours.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #59 of 89 Old 12-22-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
I have set up an alarm system based on the following link.

If anyone is interested, pm me with your email address and I can supply an updated circuit diagram as I seem to remember that there was a small error with the attached diagram and I have an amended diagram on Excel. The circuit is based upon a $6 Radio shack relay

Dinghy Alarm

Most of the solutions I had seen before tell you after the dinghy has gone, This solution tells you that some one is trying to take it because as soon as the wire loop is cut, the alarm goes off. I have loud buzzers and lights attached to the relay.

We have also extended the circuit to allow us to have a “panic” button in the sleeping cabin in case you feel someone is too close at night.
I know this is an old post but after an incident a couple of nights ago I'd really appreciate seeing a schematic of your alarm.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #60 of 89 Old 12-22-2017

I never locked my dink in the Caribe or Southern NE until I had an AquaPro and Honda OB go missing in New Greenwich RI from the back of my boat while we were asleep. I doubt I didn't tie it propoerly and it drifted away. My name and address were on it and so if someone found it they decided the keep it. Not good RI. I filed an insurance claim and was fully compensated for the loss.

With the new dink I keep the OB locked by a padlock between the tightening handles... and use an SS chain and padlock to a bow eye and then thru a horn clean on the dock. I don't leave the OB fuel key on board... but that can be worked around for someone determined to start the OB. Of course a determined thief with a bolt cutter can steal it.

I do not lock the dink except in Newport or when we leave it for the week. Dinks are often taken by sailors who are drunk and missed the last launch or some other reason they can't get to their boat... such as their mates left them behind in the bar.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in