Dinghy theft protection - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 89 Old 12-23-2017
Dirt Free

Re: Dinghy theft protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Give it a try. However, it would seem the alarm itself could be easily damaged by the thief. If you can't find a place to permanently secure it, it would probably be chucked into the water.

If you're only looking for a momentary way to note it's being stolen from the back of your boat, while you're aboard, it may work.
With a long enough cable, the alarm can be inside the boat or inside a cockpit locker, it really does not matter. As soon as the cable is cut the alarm goes off.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 Old 12-23-2017

OK Poker... so the guy gets into your dink while you are below or not present... and starts the motor and cuts the cable and the alarm in you cockpit goes off and he takes off with your dink with your boat blasting an alarm. You can do nothing... jump in and swim?

Call the police and your insurance company... files a claim and get a new boat. That's what insurance is for.

This accomplishes what? To me simply waking up people... disturbing those already awake in the anchorage.

Most people are anchored off or on a mooring because they want the peace and quiet it affords. All we need is a bunch of security alarms going off either from failures or failed attempts or even successful attempts at tampering.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #83 of 89 Old 12-23-2017
May God Bless You

Seems to me that its just like with a car. If you need an alarm, you paid too much for your stuff. Don't drive what you can't afford to lose.

The winning solutions to me are: 1. To install an inspection port just above the unloaded waterline and take the inspection port with you. 2. Remove the wire from the spark plug and take it with you. 3. Fake Chinese outboard decals and an obnoxious paint job on the outboard and dinghy.

jon

PS: nobody will steal these!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-boat-w...ationFlag=true

Last edited by longjonsilver; 12-23-2017 at 09:53 AM. Reason: add link

post #84 of 89 Old 12-23-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
OK Poker... so the guy gets into your dink while you are below or not present... and starts the motor and cuts the cable and the alarm in you cockpit goes off and he takes off with your dink with your boat blasting an alarm. You can do nothing... jump in and swim?

Call the police and your insurance company... files a claim and get a new boat. That's what insurance is for.

This accomplishes what? To me simply waking up people... disturbing those already awake in the anchorage.

Most people are anchored off or on a mooring because they want the peace and quiet it affords. All we need is a bunch of security alarms going off either from failures or failed attempts or even successful attempts at tampering.
NO, I've never heard of them starting the motor. They paddle it away or they are towed away with a second dink, also paddling (as in my case the other night). Do you really think they are going to muck around with all the racket of trying to start an unknown engine ?

We must travel in different circles, The cruisers I know would be very supportive of attempts to prevent dinghy theft. It's not like car alarms that go off with every little bump. The alarm I posted about would only go off when actually cut. I think you are dreaming up objections based on a very negative outlook on your fellow cruisers. If you cruise in an area where alarms would be going off all night, every night ..... I'd suggest moving.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #85 of 89 Old 12-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
NO, I've never heard of them starting the motor. They paddle it away or they are towed away with a second dink, also paddling (as in my case the other night). Do you really think they are going to muck around with all the racket of trying to start an unknown engine ?

We must travel in different circles, The cruisers I know would be very supportive of attempts to prevent dinghy theft. It's not like car alarms that go off with every little bump. The alarm I posted about would only go off when actually cut. I think you are dreaming up objections based on a very negative outlook on your fellow cruisers. If you cruise in an area where alarms would be going off all night, every night ..... I'd suggest moving.
Poker... how do you know what "attitude" I have of "cruisers"? I don't think very highly of idiots on the water... people who have no regard, respect or even awareness of others around them... and that's a big problem on the roads and on the water.

I DO lock my dink when I leave it for the weekend. My wife who is more paranoid (concerned) about theft insists. I would be concerned if there was a dinghy theft problem where I cruise. The French cruisers had a reputation which including taking dinks when they needed one down in the Caribbean. The problem is mostly drunk sailors... ya know... our fellow cruisers... I have a negative outlook on people who are drunk and high in public.. boaters, drivers, pedestrians...

I lived 4 years in the Caribe and never had a dink or a motor stolen or know anyone that did. Where dinks and OBs stolen? You betcha.

Again... get yourself an insurance policy and suffer the inconvenience of making a claim. You'll end up with a new boat and OB and be made whole... that what insurance is for.

I do not like loud noise...

post #86 of 89 Old 12-23-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Poker... how do you know what "attitude" I have of "cruisers"?

I do not like loud noise...
You sir, have posted your intolerant attitude quite clearly.

post #87 of 89 Old 12-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You sir, have posted your intolerant attitude quite clearly.
Only of silly things am I intolerant of. You don't know me from a hole in the wall and that post was off topic and rude.

I have nothing further to say on the topic.

post #88 of 89 Old 12-23-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:

I have nothing further to say on the topic.
Thank you. It is appreciated.

post #89 of 89 Old 12-23-2017

Top notch security chain is $8-10 ft.
Regular bolt cutters stolen from a boatyard or hardware store will cry in pain...it's not happening.

Real security locks run $40ish....you'll need a grinder...and make noise.

Wire is difficult to cut with bolt cutters but cable cutters do the job well.

Run the security chain thru hose or some anti-chafe.

Lock the outboard on the dink and/or rail mount.

Lock dink to boat whether it is ondeck, hoisted or floating.

Both light and sound are good for alarms. Strobes can be disorienting.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in