Do you have to be wealthy to own a sailing yacht? - Page 9 - SailNet Community
View Poll Results: Do you have to be wealthy to be a sailor and Sailing Yacht owner?
Yes 19 27.54%
No 50 72.46%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 100 Old 07-06-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Re: Do you have to be wealthy to own a sailing yacht?

Perhaps they are rigged that way purposefully, similar to the ultrasonic vermin deterrents people have in their basements.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 100 Old 07-06-2016

LOL bought the boat then couldn't afford a couple bungees to tame the halyard slap!

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #83 of 100 Old 07-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanski View Post
LOL bought the boat then couldn't afford a couple bungees to tame the halyard slap!
I, personally, love that sound. Reminds me of when I was 10 and falling asleep on rainy, windy nights on our poptop C22. Tame them as we tried (my dad was like Don and they drove him nuts), there was always some slap, and not a hell of alot of noise insulation through the canvas. But I've been on my current boat in 20 knots at anchor and I can hear them below, but certainly couldn't as soon as I was 5 feet away in a dinghy, bungeed or not. There is a guy who leaves his bell rigged occasionally and I can hear that from shore on quiet days when the swell or current are moving the field, but honestly, never heard anyone else's halyards slap unless I was too close or in a slip, which I consider too close.

post #84 of 100 Old 07-06-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Tame them as we tried (my dad was like Don and they drove him nuts), there was always some slap, and not a hell of alot of noise insulation through the canvas. But I've been on my current boat in 20 knots at anchor and I can hear them below, but certainly couldn't as soon as I was 5 feet away in a dinghy, bungeed or not.
I don't expect NO sound. I expect that on my mooring I don't listen to lines BANGING from 100' away over the wind when I'm down BELOW on my boat.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #85 of 100 Old 07-06-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Perhaps they are rigged that way purposefully, similar to the ultrasonic vermin deterrents people have in their basements.
Doesn't work, attracted me like the Piped Piper calling my brothers.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #86 of 100 Old 07-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I don't expect NO sound. I expect that on my mooring I don't listen to lines BANGING from 100' away over the wind when I'm down BELOW on my boat.
That does seem excessive- are you sure they didn't have something break loose? Happens to even the conscientious.

post #87 of 100 Old 07-06-2016
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
This is one of times that I agree with Don. If I have to raise my voice in my own cockpit b/c of some banging halyard (or blasting music or screaming windmill or roaring generator/engine) then that noise is too much. You like banging halyards? Fine. Make a recording and listen to it on your iPod with earphones.

Yes, we all have to live with other people's sounds. That OK. But there is no reason to have a halyards slapping with such force that they interfere with conversation 100' away. I've always had fully external halyards, and I am able to silence all of them with minimal effort.
seaner97 likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 07-06-2016 at 02:12 PM.
post #88 of 100 Old 07-06-2016
Ahoy!

Location: I live in Baja California but my boats live in San Diego Bay and Mission Bay

Wealthy is a measurement against others. I would say that anyone, including the OP, who owns a boat, is wealthy, no matter how much money they have. Many people don't have food. Surely someone who owns a boat is more wealthy than someone who doesn't have food.

IMHO, If you live paycheck to paycheck and have to wheel and deal to maintain your boat you are a sailor and if you have investments that earn more than your boat costs you are a yachtsman.
post #89 of 100 Old 07-08-2016

The other annoying noise which maybe unavoidable is AC water exhaust. Liveaboards next slip (3' from my boat) never turn their 3 units off. Like to sit in cockpit ~6am and drink my coffee reading the news, listening to the birds and chilling. That quite is now gone. Motor yacht on other side of finger never goes out. Have never seen the owner on the boat. Nevertheless AC never goes off. Asked yard about it they said owner wants boat dry.
Noise is just the gentle slap of water. Not a biggy and I'm probably being unreasonable but still a huge difference waking up when on anchor or in the slip. Surprising how ambient noise and its quality effects mood and stress.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #90 of 100 Old 07-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
...Motor yacht on other side of finger never goes out. Have never seen the owner on the boat. Nevertheless AC never goes off. Asked yard about it they said owner wants boat dry...
A dehumidifier would to a better job keeping the boat dry, and would be much more energy efficient. But I guess those guys don't care about that.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in