Has anybody towed kayaks behind.... - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 06-23-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Re: Has anybody towed kayaks behind....

Many kayaks don't have very strong places to attach a tow line. I have a Dagger with a bar-type handle on the boat but I don't think I'd trust that handle for towing. IMO towing is generally a really bad idea to begin with for all kinds of reasons but the tandem/catamaran idea for two seems workable, maybe using the paddle shaft as the spanner.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 06-23-2015

Did it once.

Won't do it twice.

Ranks up there with stupid human tricks!

Skywalker
post #23 of 25 Old 06-23-2015

From what I learned the hard way is if your in calm waters and going short distances then it would be ok to tow! I have lost my dingy in rough waters before! This was when I was in my twenties and now im more educated now in my 40's! I had a wave go over the dingy and the weight of the water just snapped the lines and I didnt even know I lost it till a couple hours later. I turned around to find it but the current was so strong that in landed on Gilligans Island! I would stow it on the side of the deck and secure it for rough sea's. Hope this information was good for you!
If you want quick information try using youtube... I am sure someone has done a video of everything someone has witnessed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 25 Old 06-23-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Many kayaks don't have very strong places to attach a tow line. I have a Dagger with a bar-type handle on the boat but I don't think I'd trust that handle for towing. IMO towing is generally a really bad idea to begin with for all kinds of reasons but the tandem/catamaran idea for two seems workable, maybe using the paddle shaft as the spanner.
Yea the off the shelf kayak has no good place to toe it. I've reinforced mine. Stainless eye, 1/4 20 stainless toggle bolts and New England sta set for the tow rope. I think I would have been ok if I had a cockpit cover. Just sharing my experience with the masses so everyone can learn from my mistake.

oursailingadventures.com
post #25 of 25 Old 06-24-2015

Borrowing from my river paddling experience....

Canoe trippers sometimes walk their boats upstream with a practice called "lining". One or two people walk along the river bank and guide the boat upstream against some pretty stiff current and even big rapids. If you simply attach a long painter to the stem of the canoe, it will eventually dig in and flip - but savvy canoeists will rig a bridle that goes under the boat aft of the bow with a center attachment point for the line. This causes the boat to run bow-loose and ride up over the current and waves without digging in. It pulls easier and it's much easier to control the bow - eliminating the danger of rolling the boat.

Kayaks aren't designed in a way that allows easy rigging of such a bridle, but with proper motivation, I bet it wouldn't be hard to come up with a way to do something similar. I believe it's a given that it will slow your sailboat some, but I'd be surprised if the kayak with a proper tow bridle didn't follow nicely (in good weather). No, I haven't tried it....yet.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in