Has anybody towed kayaks behind.... - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-07-2015 Thread Starter

Has anybody towed kayaks behind....

New to sailing so just wondering if anybody has ever towed two kayaks behind their tub while sailing? I would love to tow my two kayaks so when we anchor and relax near the shore or on the many islands on Saginaw Bay, we could just kayak around for awhile. I wasn't sure what effect this would have on the sailboat while sailing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-07-2015

Re: Has anybody towed kayaks behind....

I haven't. But, I'd probably differentiate between a sit-on-top and a sit in style.

If you have the sit-in style, what's the plan for keeping them from filling with water and becoming an anchor?
post #3 of 25 Old 03-07-2015

We've towed our sit-ins on rare occasions for short hops. For some reason they seem to randomly capsize now and then... Dragging an inverted kayak is indeed slow. This mainly seemed to occur when we towed two of them.. Unfortunately never happened to be looking aft when it happened so not sure of the cause.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 25 Old 03-07-2015

Short distance towing in calm water is OK.
Towing a kayak in waves can be a disaster, as you will soon find out how much weight of water can fill a kayak. As Faster states, they have the propensity to capsize at random.

If you do tow, I would very strongly recommend to add a stout and waterproof cover/skirt, and be sure that any kayak hatches are tightly fitting.
I would also recommend towing a hanked up or coiled length of 'rope' as a 'warp' from the kayak ... to keep it straight and less 'frenetic'. Without some drag behind the kayak to keep it straight, it will 'dance' all over the place and will include 'surprise' capsizing and swamping.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-07-2015
Master Mariner

Another problem with towing something as light as a kayak is the possibility of them running into your stern in following seas. Just had a bareboat come into Admiralty Bay towing a dinghy with the motor prop straight up in the air, resting on the cowling in the boat. He said it surfed into his stern with such force it broke the bracket and flipped it over the transom to land upside down in the dink.
My rule is that if I want to lose it; tow it. The line always seems to break when you don't notice.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 25 Old 03-07-2015 Thread Starter

The replies are what I thought. I think I will just tow them out the channel that I have to go through and then anchor in calm waters and kayak from there or just motor up the shore a tad and anchor.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-07-2015

For towing two kayaks in calm-ish water, I wonder if it would make sense to lash them together, spaced a couple feet apart like a catamaran. Like mutual outriggers.
krisscross likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-07-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Speaking as a fossil, coming from the era when there were "canoes" "kayaks" and "boards", a sit-on kayak is a "sityak", it ain't a kayak. My friend Quinn, the Mighty Eskimo, will be glad to let the walrus explain that to anyone who can't figure it out.

Kayaks are DESIGNED TO BE TIPPY AND EASY TO ROLL OVER. This is so they can be very maneuverable, which requires leaning (heeling) into a turn. And, they are also conveniently tippy so you can do an "eskimo roll" and quickly and easily get an inverted one rightside up!

So, towing it without anyone in it? I'd expect it to do what is natural and INVERT itself pretty quickly. Of course, if you have the spray skirt in it, no big deal, it will probably roll back up before a lot of water gets in. Maybe.

But if you had two, you'd be better off bolting on some deck hardware, lashing them up as a simple catamaran, and then letting them be stable in that configuration.

Otherwise...I think we've all seen how that movie ends.(G)
post #9 of 25 Old 03-07-2015
Catalina 400 MKII

Kayaks are really light. Put them on your bow, or side deck. Play around a bit to find the position where they don't interfere with your jib sheets, tie them down, and then go from there. Many people like to use the kayak racks that attach to the stanchions. I prefer not to use those, since side loads can loosen the bedding or even bend the stanchion.

Last edited by Scotty C-M; 03-07-2015 at 02:26 PM.
post #10 of 25 Old 03-07-2015

I used a 14 ft. Sit-in kayak as my dinghy around SW Florida and the Keys for a couple of seasons. Towed well in calm waters but carried on deck mostly. (Bristol 29.9) Towed from Naples to Ft. Myers Beach once. Kayaks, Canoes, etc. are not meant go thru the water at 5-6+ knots!

Nothing is fool proof to a suffi

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in