113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 471 Old 04-20-2015
RTB
TROUBLE

Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O-Dave View Post
All I know, is if it does pass, there will be no Keys trip for me. Planning on going North in a few weeks. Plans? uh..hopes might be more accurate.
Well, if they would just dig a nice 6' deep canal from Pensacola to Jacksonville, we could just skip visiting most of Florida's waters. No way to get from Texas to the Chesapeake without dealing with whatever Florida comes up with in this bill. (I think the amendment is the only problem)

Maybe Florida doesn't realize that the waterways are like a highway. Even if Florida isn't the destination, some of us must pass through their waters to get where we are going.

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 471 Old 04-20-2015
RTB
TROUBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
The 200 ft setback amendment was withdrawn.
Was that in the video? I must have missed it....

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #133 of 471 Old 04-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Was that in the video? I must have missed it....

Ralph
It happens at about the 1 hour 20 minute mark of the video.

post #134 of 471 Old 04-20-2015
RTB
TROUBLE

Thanks. After reviewing the tape again, you are right.

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

post #135 of 471 Old 04-20-2015

1:11:25: Hired gun Kelly Mallette: "I represent City of FtL and Concerned Waterfront Homeowners Assn." "Not someone who is staying for a few days...but there for an entire season....not just safety concerns, but privacy concerns."

It's interesting that they say they would rather have waterskiiers than anchored boats. (So they pass a law to get the anchored boats out at night?) Let's bring in the waverunners and really give them some "peace and quiet."

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall, MD
post #136 of 471 Old 04-21-2015 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

The Florida state Senate bill continues through a string of committees unchanged - it continues to include the 200' setback.

The effort to amend the Florida state House bill to include the 200' setback failed.

While we may break through on the Senate floor it is more likely that both the Senate bill and the House bill will pass as they are today.

At that point either the conference committees will take up the two bills together or--conceivably--as separate initiatives. The latter would be very bad for cruisers. Regardless, events will begin moving very quickly on 1 May (as if they aren't already).

For the latest information your best sources are the SSCA website and the Waterway Guide Weekly Cruisers News.

At the risk of repeating myself, the Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA) is leading the charge to protect anchoring rights in Florida with able support from Waterway Guide and AGLCA. BoatUS supports our efforts but has not been nearly as active as they were last year. NMMA has displayed staggering indifference.

We all own a debt of gratitude to the many cruisers who have put their personal plans aside and made the trek to Tallahassee, usually on short notice, to provide a show of force against restrictions on anchoring rights.

If you want to help join SSCA, contribute to the GoFundMe account dedicated to this effort, and/or join us in Tallahassee. See Welcome to the Seven Seas Cruising Association .
RTB and H2O-Dave like this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #137 of 471 Old 04-21-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

In an attempt to determine when the Fiscal Policy Committee might meet again to bring up the senate bill, I came across this calendar;

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Cal...-12_121616.PDF

It seems to indicate that today, 4/21/2015, is the last day for regularly scheduled committee meetings. Does anyone know if the Fiscal Policy Committee will meet again?

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
post #138 of 471 Old 04-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
1:11:25: Hired gun Kelly Mallette: "I represent City of FtL and Concerned Waterfront Homeowners Assn." "Not someone who is staying for a few days...but there for an entire season....not just safety concerns, but privacy concerns."

It's interesting that they say they would rather have waterskiiers than anchored boats. (So they pass a law to get the anchored boats out at night?) Let's bring in the waverunners and really give them some "peace and quiet."
As a Floridian, I don't consider those people residents and their opinion really shouldn't count.
post #139 of 471 Old 04-21-2015

Quote:
Well, if they would just dig a nice 6' deep canal from Pensacola to Jacksonville, we could just skip visiting most of Florida's waters.

Ralph
KEMAH, TX... Yep, If it were so, I'd move back to Texas fast. Just checked marina boat slip fees and found one in Corpus Christi for $100 a month, and found several great deals a couple of years ago. To keep a boat in the water in Florida is insanely expensive, as is a night on the ICW. I moved back here because 40 years ago the fishing in the ICW was fantastic, plenty of shrimp, a wonderland. Went to all my old spots when I came back, nada, no bait=no fish. AND, back then I rented a house on the ocean, $250 a month. Oldest house in the area, built by the founder of the Mellon Bank. It was heaven.
RTB likes this.
post #140 of 471 Old 04-21-2015

Quote:
Well, if they would just dig a nice 6' deep canal from Pensacola to Jacksonville, we could just skip visiting most of Florida's waters. No way to get from Texas to the Chesapeake without dealing with whatever Florida comes up with in this bill. (I think the amendment is the only problem)

Maybe Florida doesn't realize that the waterways are like a highway. Even if Florida isn't the destination, some of us must pass through their waters to get where we are going.

Ralph
Actually, you don't ... If stopping in Florida has become so onerous to some, no reason you just can't sail right on by... Heading N to the Chesapeake, hitching a ride on the Stream sounds like a hell of a lot more fun than motoring up the Ditch, anyway... :-)

Understand, I don't like any of these moves towards restricting anchoring in FL, or elsewhere, any more than the next guy... And, if people choose to boycott the state as a form of protest or personal preference, I completely get that... But even if this legislation goes thru in its present form, it's really not gonna make all THAT much immediate or widespread difference in a transient sailor's ability - especially with a bit of planning - to get from Point A to Point B along Florida's East coast, without too much drama, or expense...

The anchorage south of Venetian Causeway behind Miami Beach, for example, is one of my favorites, anywhere...

Awesome setting, highly entertaining people and girl watching, amazing convenience to provisioning and the shoreside attractions of Miami Beach, free city wifi, and the relative security afforded by the proximity of a Marine Patrol substation... Pull in there, hang out for as long as you like, and when a good weather window presents itself, head on out of Government Cut... You'll be in the Stream in 30 minutes, and with any luck, off the Georgia coast in 36 hours or less...

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O-Dave View Post
To keep a boat in the water in Florida is insanely expensive, as is a night on the ICW.
Uhhh, you do realize you're not actually REQUIRED to stop in marinas along the ICW, right?

Take a trip up north, spend a summer cruising New England, that'll cure you of whining about transient dockage rates pretty quickly...

:-)
Argyle38 likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 04-21-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in