Florida is at it again - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 471 Old 04-21-2015

Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
As a Floridian, I don't consider those people residents and their opinion really shouldn't count.
Who is that you object to begin considered a FL resident? A full time liveaboard?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 471 Old 04-21-2015

"Uhhh, you do realize you're not actually REQUIRED to stop in marinas along the ICW, right?"

UHHH...You do realize that this thread is about keeping some FREE ANCHORAGES, right?

I lived in San Francisco, San Diego, Philadelphia, and don't need you wise cracks about where prices are high.
post #143 of 471 Old 04-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O-Dave View Post
"Uhhh, you do realize you're not actually REQUIRED to stop in marinas along the ICW, right?"

UHHH...You do realize that this thread is about keeping some FREE ANCHORAGES, right?
My mistake, I thought your mention of the "insanely expensive" cost of spending a night on the ICW referred to paying transient rates at marinas, as I'm not aware of any places along the ICW in Florida where one must currently pay for the privilege of anchoring...

post #144 of 471 Old 04-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
My mistake, I thought your mention of the "insanely expensive" cost of spending a night on the ICW referred to paying transient rates at marinas, as I'm not aware of any places along the ICW in Florida where one must currently pay for the privilege of anchoring...
JE, I am referring to marina costs as one goes down South to the Keys. This Bill, if passed, would drive the costs of a night at a marina even higher, and free anchorages far fewer. Contrast..I'm planning to go up near Philly by way of the Delaware river. I have two marinas lined up there that will charge me $21. per night for a week, so my family can visit. Find THAT in Miami or the Keys. From the picture of your boat, it's a beauty, I have to assume you have $$$. Many members don't, I was injured badly in an auto wreck 8 years ago and have been living on disability,1K a month. It's a risk going alone, friends say I'm crazy, one slip up and I'll be incapacitated, frozen in pain. Sailing, I wish, but will likely put-put along on the motor, no mast or sails. And if I can't find free anchorage often, I can't go. Please sir, remember that many who love the water, are not as fortunate as you. and what is insanely expensive to me, is probably nothing to you. It takes all kinds of people to make up this big, big world. And each of us must push ourselves to attain our goals, whatever they may be, if we are to have a reason to stay above ground.

My best to you,
Dave
post #145 of 471 Old 04-21-2015

Dave, the cost of staying in most of the ICW marinas varies from $1.50 to $2.50 per foot per night, which is a fraction of the cost of staying in the Holiday Inn Express in the same vicinity. I should know, I just did that a few months ago. And, when you get to the keys, hotels and motels are insanely high. So my wife and rented a home, 1,600 square feet on a canal at Key Colony Beach. How about $3,000 a month, and that was the least expensive place we could find. Most went from $4,500 and up per month, or about $1,500 a week.

On contrast, a mooring ball at Marathon's City Marina was $300 a month, while dockage in the canal was $750 a month for my 33 footer. There were a couple nice marinas on the gulf side of Marathon that were significantly less expensive.

I found lots of sheltered, relatively deep anchorages in Florida along the ICW that would not have impinged on that 200 feet regulation, especially in the keys. The only reason I stayed at the Marathon City Marina was the convenience of being able to easily load and unload my music equipment while berthed in the canal. It was a straight shot from the gunwale of the boat to the concrete bulkhead and I could position the boat as close as 8 inches from the walkway. Sure made life a lot easier. Plus, I had water and electricity, which was included in the price, right next to the boat.

With the exception of Georgia, I made the trip down the ICW single handed on my Morgan 33 Out Island. Much of the trip, obviously, was motored, but I tried to keep the jib out most of the trip to cut fuel expenses. I sailed around Georgia with a fellow sailnetter, who graciously offered to assist me on that leg of the trip. At my age, I'm not sure I can still stay awake for 24 hours straight, which is what it took to get around Georgia.

Good luck,

Gary
H2O-Dave likes this.
post #146 of 471 Old 04-21-2015

Gary,

Thanks for the valuable first hand info. I talked with the state park in Largo, not bad if I get desperate, it's just the unknown of getting down there that scares me. I was living in a new house on a golf course in Casa Grande AZ when I was injured. Now I live in a 40 year old trailer (small but decent recording studio as well, Yamaha DX 7, latest Sonar on the dedicated computer, etc) in a trailer park four miles from Monroe Lake. I started selling computers and software in L.A. in 1984, installed and configured the most powerful computers in the world for Lockheed Martin. Then the accident left me unfit for steady employment of any kind. A simple one second twist of fate.

But to more happy things, "unloading musical equipment" you are a musician then? So am I. I started with classical piano in 63, but switched to guitar in 65...maybe you remember those days, I'm just now 65. Music was to be my life until a few years around the serious drugs brought to my place, a gathering spot because I had pro PA, amps, gold top Les Paul, hand made Martin from their shop foreman Mossman. To save my life I moved to Florida and only dealt with old fishermen. I still play when not working on the boat and such, so you can understand why I would prefer to be as far away from other folks as possible. I use a J-45 copy, great sound and loud. And I am taking many books, history, Ethology, got the digital complete 6 books by Gibbon on the Roman Empire, last week, so I don't mind being alone. The only reason I am attempting this trip, is because I get five months of "storage" on my place, nicer than it sounds, allowing me about $900 for expenses a month. I don't drink, don't eat out, have canned a couple of months of good food, and tricked out the cabin for max entertainment.

My apologies to all for hijacking the thread, but I never did an intro about myself.

I'll get quiet now.

Dave
post #147 of 471 Old 04-22-2015

Dave, I'm 75, played guitar and sang country songs at a couple blood and guts saloons when I was young, then switched to an arranger keyboard and never looked back. Now I play a Yamaha PSR-S950, I have a couple Bose L1 Compact amps for my PA system, still sing to the ladies 5 to 7 days a week. The only difference between now and a decade ago is that when October rolls around, I'm putting the sails up and pointing the bow south, and not stopping till my age and the temperature are the same, which should put me back in Marathon Key for the winter months. I played at a few locations there this past winter and the managers didn't want me to leave. I didn't want to either, but had contractual agreements to perform back home from April 1 through October 1, so, reluctantly, I returned to the frozen north of Maryland.

Unfortunately, I somehow messed up my lower back and may have to have some surgery to correct the problem, which may preclude me taking the boat back to the keys this winter. I hope not, but you never quite know.

Gettin' old ain't fer wimps and sissies,

Gary

Last edited by travlin-easy; 04-22-2015 at 11:18 AM.
post #148 of 471 Old 04-22-2015

You added a pic... nice, the Silver Tongue Devil surrounded by pretty gals.

Dave, I'm 75, played guitar and sang country songs at a couple blood and guts saloons when I was young, then switched to an arranger keyboard and never looked back. Now I play a Yamaha PSR-S950, I have a couple Bose L1 Compact amps for my PA system, still sing to the ladies 5 to 7 days a week.

You DOG..so cool. Nothing like hearing true applause, such a great feeling. When I bought the boat about 10 months ago, all my time has gone to it. Now if I pick up the guitar, my fingers say"you want me to do WHAT? Big reason I want to get on the water to get them back. I'm taking a mixer to power the acoustic mic, and all the recording software is on the Lenova I'm taking. A bunch of sheet music as well. That Yamaha you have is great. Unlike my DX-7 that requires a computer to access all the potential voices, a PITA, you have all you need at your finger tips. I'm curious, when I played and sang 20 hours a week long ago, Shure Vocal Master..took a truck to move it, I played much better, but to my surprise, my voice has gotten better with the years, especially on those great old country songs. Life experience counts!

The only difference between now and a decade ago is that when October rolls around, I'm putting the sails up and pointing the bow south, and not stopping till my age and the temperature are the same, which should put me back in Marathon Key for the winter months. I played at a few locations there this past winter and the managers didn't want me to leave. I didn't want to either, but had contractual agreements to perform back home from April 1 through October 1, so, reluctantly, I returned to the frozen north of Maryland.

WOW, Gary, you're a pro. I couldn't ever be. When I said I moved from Dallas to Florida to get away from drugs, it's not changed. I can turn down a drink no problem, but if someone throws a bag of dope on the table in front of me, it's a risk. I've stayed clean for 35 years only because I'm careful, very careful, who I let in my life. So it's just recording for me, and I have little to show because of the boat. My brother plays flute well and has the same software and tastes, and is better at handling the drum tracks, strings, I have about mastered, and there is a new gal in the park that plays stand up base with a Blue Grass team, not my thing, but I might check her out. They have invited me, but like you, I prefer to play alone. I tend to do tempo changes and improv. So I don't play well with others, that doesn't make me a bad person...although not all agree.

Unfortunately, I somehow messed up my lower back and may have to have some surgery to correct the problem, which may preclude me taking the boat back to the keys this winter. I hope not, but you never quite know.

I'm sorry to hear that, and hope it isn't as serious as mine. Herniated disc, three years ago kept me in a recliner for 6 months. I can lift carefully but not twist my spine. Work on the boat took several time as long because of it. MANY days, I would get in an hours work in cramped quarters and the rest of the day in bed. The effort set me back about a year on the daily pain level, so until you know for sure what's what back there, take it as easy as you can, and as I'm sure you know, get a trusted second opinion before letting them go in with the tools. My brother is smart and wealthy and after 12 years with his, he has had too many Docs tell him it's a very risky gamble. So he lives with it, as do I. Why I'm afraid of the sails. Maybe after this trip, I'll have more confidence, and put em on to test close to home.

Gettin' old ain't fer wimps and sissies,

I heard Katheryn Hepburn coined that first. What I DO know, is it's for darn sure true.

Take care, and thank you for sharing, you have my utmost respect. I hope you are able to do the winter Keys, If all goes well, I'll be there in your audience.

Dave,

If the Mod wants to move this conversation, I understand. Thanks for your tolerance.

Last edited by H2O-Dave; 04-22-2015 at 05:53 PM.
post #149 of 471 Old 04-22-2015 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
As a Floridian, I don't consider those people residents and their opinion really shouldn't count.
Really? Even in a tourist economy like Florida? So we should just mail our money in and stay home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Actually, you don't ... If stopping in Florida has become so onerous to some, no reason you just can't sail right on by... Heading N to the Chesapeake, hitching a ride on the Stream sounds like a hell of a lot more fun than motoring up the Ditch, anyway... :-)
Darn tootin'. As it happens I'm presenting a webinar entitled "Offshore to the Bahamas" for those intrigued by the idea of heading from Norfolk VA or Beaufort NC direct to the Bahamas. 6 May on Seven Seas U see Seven Seas U .

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #150 of 471 Old 04-22-2015

I wish I could get a list of these derelict boats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in