Florida is at it again - Page 16 - SailNet Community
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 471 Old 04-22-2015

Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O-Dave View Post
JE, I am referring to marina costs as one goes down South to the Keys. This Bill, if passed, would drive the costs of a night at a marina even higher, and free anchorages far fewer.
I think those fears might be a bit overstated. I've spent a fair bit of time in the Keys, I doubt something like the 200' setback will affect many, perhaps more than a relatively small number of those squeezed into the margins of a place like Boot Key, or Tarpon Basin...

Quote:
Contrast..I'm planning to go up near Philly by way of the Delaware river. I have two marinas lined up there that will charge me $21. per night for a week, so my family can visit. Find THAT in Miami or the Keys.
I could be wrong, but I believe there are probably a couple of other factors beyond simple supply and demand that might be driving the discrepancy between transient dockage rates in Miami or Key West, and Philadelphia or other locales on the upper Delaware... :-)

Quote:
From the picture of your boat, it's a beauty, I have to assume you have $$$.
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm sorry to say you are sadly mistaken regarding the latter... :-)

My boat is invariably the smallest, or certainly among the smallest, pretty much everywhere I go. I tend to cruise in a pretty modest style, might splurge for a marina stay from time to time, but that's generally if my girlfriend is along. When I take my boat south by myself, it will be rare if I have more than a handful of stays in marinas over the entire course of the trip... One of the best things about cruising Atlantic Canada, for instance, is that in the rare event one does have to pay for dockage, the cost is negligible...

Quote:
Many members don't, I was injured badly in an auto wreck 8 years ago and have been living on disability,1K a month. It's a risk going alone, friends say I'm crazy, one slip up and I'll be incapacitated, frozen in pain. Sailing, I wish, but will likely put-put along on the motor, no mast or sails. And if I can't find free anchorage often, I can't go. Please sir, remember that many who love the water, are not as fortunate as you. and what is insanely expensive to me, is probably nothing to you. It takes all kinds of people to make up this big, big world. And each of us must push ourselves to attain our goals, whatever they may be, if we are to have a reason to stay above ground.

My best to you,
Dave
No worries, you'll do fine heading north, you'll find no shortage of free anchorages the entire way... You might want to pick up a copy of Skipper Bob's Guide to Anchorages on the ICW. I think it's probably the most comprehensive anchorage and 'free dock' guide out there, that guy didn't miss anything, and the entries are usually written with regards to access to shoreside conveniences, grocery shopping, and so on... It's a no-frills guide, but very useful...

It's a wonderful trip, you're in for a treat... good luck, enjoy, and my best to you, as well...

:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 471 Old 04-23-2015

In the end. If this passes, word will spread about where they enforce it or not. I doubt that many police forces are going have the manpower to bother this "domestic type call" I mean really fat cat homeowner does not want a boat obscuring his view! Talk about 1st world problems.... The officer gets to choose between that or the domestic violence call.... I think we know what will be chosen.

A previous poster did state that the waterways are like th highways, so I'm not sure if its enforceable. afterall you cannot expect anyone to make all of florida without stopping.
maybe they should make marinaa state subsidized, since this where everyone will have to go.

They would have been better just stating that you cannot anchor more than say 48hrs.
then you have to move a mile along your route etc..

that seems more reasonable. but I believe this is for boats that sit and sit and sit and never move.

I think its unenforceable for the traveling boat.

they should amend it stating that those looking to rest overnight or fleeing a storm or making major repairs are exempt.

I know I'll be ignotring it.
post #153 of 471 Old 04-23-2015

Latest news is that the amendment to include anchoring restrictions did not make it into the House bill. The Senate bill is still out there, but with only about a week left in the current legislative session it is highly unlikely to pass.

I think we can all take a deep breath at this point. Thanks to all who kept on top of this, and testified against it. Keep your eyes open, though, because this issue WILL come around again.

post #154 of 471 Old 04-23-2015

You can bet your bottom dollar that someone will try to sneak this legislation in through the back door by making it an amendment to another, totally different kind of legislation that pertains to a completely different subject. Nothing unusual.

My personal thanks to those that took the time to testify against this legislation,

Gary
post #155 of 471 Old 04-23-2015

If I'm not mistaken, a companion bill in the house (presumably the one already in existence) would need to be merged with the Senate bill to form one bill...and that one bill would then be voted on by the house and senate...I don't believe they can both pass separate bills. Oftentimes the absence of a companion bill on the other side of the legislature is what ends up killing a bill, and if one chamber is intent on killing a bill, they will introduce a companion bill and then delete everything in it...

It seems that the 200' anchoring restriction amendment to the house bill was an attempt to have the bills similar enough that they could be combined and voted on by both chambers...the fact that the amendment was withdrawn is a good sign for us boaters. That's not to say that something can't, or won't, happen in the final hour, but the house's seeming opposition to the anchoring restriction is hopeful.
post #156 of 471 Old 04-23-2015

i'm glad it appears to be looking up. However given politicians and big money its never over.
post #157 of 471 Old 04-24-2015

For all of you folks that carry musical instruments aboard your boats, many municipalities in Florida and other states have a regulation pertaining to amplified music played outdoors. The restriction in most states is that no outdoor, amplified music can played after 10 p.m.. That includes your radio, CD player and TV. This particular law is strictly enforced and the fine is pretty hefty. When I performed at the tiki bars and marina restaurants in the keys, the music usually was from 6 till 9 p.m.. They used to have music from 7 till 10 p.m., but if you ran five minutes beyond 10 p.m., there was a sheriff's deputy having a serious talk with the club owner and he was writing them a citation. One owner told me that the fine was $500 per offense, but I'm not sure if that's true.

They also have a DB level law that is strictly enforced as well. Exceed that level and there will be a deputy sheriff knocking on your hull to get your attention. They DO have DB meters in some of the patrol cars. Unfortunately, that law never seems to apply to the motorcycles that roar down US Route 1 with straight pipes and no mufflers.

All the best,

Gary
post #158 of 471 Old 04-24-2015

sigh. I had worked out a way that my entire boat was going to be a sub woofer! low volume but boom da da roooooooommmmmmm would have vibrated the china in a near by home.

Sigh. No chance of that now.

I kid I kid....
post #159 of 471 Old 04-29-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

With the Florida House of Representatives early adjournment the bills are dead for now. It will be a sure bet that they will come up again at the next session. News release from Waterway Guide:

'Time to celebrate' - Florida anchoring battle won...for now located in General | Waterway Guide News Update
JimMcGee and RTB like this.

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
post #160 of 471 Old 04-29-2015

That is definitely good news...aside from the likely possibility that this will come up again next year, does anyone know if the FL House and Senate can take up other issues/bills in the event they are called back for a special session, which they undoubtedly will due to the health care/budget issue going on? Or, are they only allowed to debate/discuss/pass legislation specific to the purpose of the special session (i.e. health care/budget)?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in