113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 471 Old 04-29-2015
RTB
TROUBLE

Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyJ View Post
With the Florida House of Representatives early adjournment the bills are dead for now. It will be a sure bet that they will come up again at the next session. News release from Waterway Guide:

'Time to celebrate' - Florida anchoring battle won...for now located in General | Waterway Guide News Update
Thanks to all you who had a hand in slowing this thing down. We're heading that way again soon, and it has been hard sitting here in Texas waiting to see how things played out. Thanks again!

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 471 Old 05-01-2015

Quote:
With the Florida House of Representatives early adjournment the bills are dead for now. It will be a sure bet that they will come up again at the next session. News release from Waterway Guide:

'Time to celebrate' - Florida anchoring battle won...for now located in General | Waterway Guide News Update
Good news for now, but have I have no doubt, that the people pushing this, will be back next year, with more money to spread around. All it takes to get these bills re-introduced, is money, and they have plenty of that.

We have to win every time. They only have to win once. Sooner or later, they will.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #163 of 471 Old 05-01-2015

Of course it only law if you choose to obey it. short of that I believe its unenforceable really.
a cruising boat meh.

Some guy who boat has turned into a garbage scow will have a problem. I hope it cleans it up if its really a problem. I would love to see these boats show up for purchase.

Enjoy the freedom while you guys have it.

post #164 of 471 Old 05-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Good news for now, but have I have no doubt, that the people pushing this, will be back next year, with more money to spread around. All it takes to get these bills re-introduced, is money, and they have plenty of that.

We have to win every time. They only have to win once. Sooner or later, they will.
Their lobbyist (forget her name right now) says they're not going after short-stay cruisers, that it's the derelict boats that they're really opposed to. If so, it's a shame that the money they're pissing away on lobbyists and political donations (ahem, bribes) can't be redirected to pay for enforcement of existing laws against derelict boats. A "removal and disposal" fund, perhaps. That would solve their real problem without hurting legitimate cruisers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123456Wannasail654321 View Post
Of course it only law if you choose to obey it. short of that I believe its unenforceable really.
So when they succeed at outlawing overnight anchoring in small coves (<200 feet from shore), a LEA boat goes around to all anchored boats and writes a citation. If the citation is ignored, the next time he arrests the occupants.

What about this is unenforceable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123456Wannasail654321 View Post
Some guy who boat has turned into a garbage scow will have a problem. I hope it cleans it up if its really a problem. I would love to see these boats show up for purchase.
I've seen you say this before, and I think you really don't understand derelict boats. They're worthless. Nobody wants to take possession of them because of high disposal costs. I guarantee you that if they had value, people would take possession and put them up for sale. It's not happening because the boats have no value.
Group9 likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #165 of 471 Old 05-01-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Good news for now, but I have no doubt, that the people pushing this, will be back next year,
You are surely correct. At least now we have seen how they may approach it next year. Derelicts, blah, blah blah. Vessel safety, blah, blah, blah.

Florida boaters should also mark their calendar's. This will come up again in a short nine months.

Most likely, will once again be introduced by the Senate Environmental Preservation Committee or the House Highway and Waterway Safety Committee.

It should also be noted that the FWC has been a willing participant in trying to enact these anchoring restrictions. Richard Moore has gone out of his way and way above the call of duty in helping set the stage for these bills, especially SB 1548.

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
post #166 of 471 Old 05-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Their lobbyist (forget her name right now) says they're not going after short-stay cruisers, that it's the derelict boats that they're really opposed to. If so, it's a shame that the money they're pissing away on lobbyists and political donations (ahem, bribes) can't be redirected to pay for enforcement of existing laws against derelict boats. A "removal and disposal" fund, perhaps. That would solve their real problem without hurting legitimate cruisers.

So when they succeed at outlawing overnight anchoring in small coves (<200 feet from shore), a LEA boat goes around to all anchored boats and writes a citation. If the citation is ignored, the next time he arrests the occupants.

What about this is unenforceable?

I've seen you say this before, and I think you really don't understand derelict boats. They're worthless. Nobody wants to take possession of them because of high disposal costs. I guarantee you that if they had value, people would take possession and put them up for sale. It's not happening because the boats have no value.
Oh I see. I figured it was just live aboards who just didn't keep up with the boats.

As for an LE boat..Do they have the money to do that? with all the other real issues going on, will they spend time and manpower bothering the 65+ old couple on their way to the ICW? What id the demographic of a cruiser? I think it more innocuous than some one who plays golf!

Suggestion: Perhaps legislators should be approached to promulgate rules for transient boats.you can remain no more than 48 hours in one place. then you have to move on. Still probably unenforceable, but then again cruising boats aren't the problem they are trying to solve, if I understand the situation.
post #167 of 471 Old 05-01-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
but then again cruising boats aren't the problem they are trying to solve, if I understand the situation.
No, you do not understand the situation........

It's any boat anchored near their property. That is the problem they are trying to solve. They do not care if you are in a 27 year old Catalina 22 or a $5,000,000.00 Swan. They do not want you to anchor behind their house........
souljour2000, RTB and GaryM like this.

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
post #168 of 471 Old 05-01-2015

Quote:
No, you do not understand the situation........

It's any boat anchored near their property. That is the problem they are trying to solve. They do not care if you are in a 27 year old Catalina 22 or a $5,000,000.00 Swan. They do not want you to anchor behind their house........
that BS do they own the water? it is in their lot line?

Will they now have "rights" to the view scape?

yuck.

again I'd work on exceptions for cruising boats. derelicts or squatters sure move em out. In my neighborhood you can't park RVs like that (on the street) but if its not permanent (like 48 hours) they have to leave.

I think that would be a good compromise for cleaning up the problem (derelict boats, squatters) and people legitimately using the public waterway.

This is the approach I would take.

So I say Sail net member in Florida need to start buttonholing their reps to set the ground up before the next session. or talk to the sailing orgs already on the job and convey that message.
post #169 of 471 Old 05-01-2015

Quote:

It should also be noted that the FWC has been a willing participant in trying to enact these anchoring restrictions. Richard Moore has gone out of his way and way above the call of duty in helping set the stage for these bills, especially SB 1548.
Yeah, there can't be anyone left who doesn't realize at this point, that the FWC survey was specifically written to support the proposed legislation. FWC has picked sides, and it's not the boaters' side.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #170 of 471 Old 06-16-2015

FWC should have better things to do...but they are controlled ultimately by Tallahassee...
For starters, the weekend ICW in populated areas is a pretty wild place...drunk boaters behind the wheel of 1000 hp fast vessels in narrow channels with growing numbers of kayakers,paddleboarders and small craft trying to negotiate the "wave pool" the ICW has become...Then there's illegal mangrove cutting...poaching, and otherwise undersize fish and seafood harvesting,and the list of things goes on and on that are occurring that are more important to the general citizenry which need to be addressed before a few *****y waterfront owners should be catered to...
Group9 likes this.

Columbia 40

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-16-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in