Florida is at it again - Page 18 - SailNet Community
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 471 Old 06-17-2015

Re: Florida is at it again

Take Five, at one time, Florida had a large, very effective artificial reef program, one that took derelict boats, both sail and power, stripped the engines and fuel tanks out, then took the boats to designated areas and sunk them, often in depths of just 35 to 50 feet. Within a couple years, you would be hard pressed to find a square inch of the boat that was not covered with marine growth. The sunken craft provided an incredible reef system that attracted and protected juvenile fish and predators alike. The boats, mostly confiscated drug runner boats and derelict live aboards, that used to be seen on a regular basis, soon pretty much disappeared from the scene. And opponents of the reef program managed to get the program scrapped.

Several other states had similar programs and funding, while somewhat limited, was still more than sufficient to remove several hundred boats every year. Last fall, a nice looking 44 foot powerboat, trawler looking boat, was abandoned in the Susquehanna River at the north end of Garrett Island. It sat there till about October, when a sailboat, looked like a 25 footer, was also abandoned and tied to a cleat of the power boat. The powerboat eventually filled with rainwater and sunk, leaving only the top of the cabin exposed, the sailboat broke loose and drifted downriver and lodged against the railroad bridge at Perryville until someone towed it to the newly constructed municipal piers and tied it up. It soon filled with rainwater and sunk at the dock, leaving only the mast sticking out of the water. When I called Maryland DNR about the boats they said they would contact the appropriate authorities, which was likely the USCG. However, when I talked with the USCG, they said because the boats did not pose a navigational hazard, they would not be taking any action to remove them. Maryland DNR no longer has a fund to deal with derelict boats.

On both boats, I was told the serial and hull numbers were all ground off so the owners could not be identified. This was the case with hundreds of derelict boats anchored in San Francisco Bay. California has funded a removal program but can only remove about 300 boats a year, which is about half the number of new derelicts they see every year.

Keep in mind that Florida has a huge number of recreational and commercial vessels within the state. While there are some folks that paint pictures of half sunken boats to sell and think they look quaint, the owners of those multimillion dollar homes are not of similar ilk - can you blame them. The legislation they proposed won't solve the derelict boat problem, and for the most part, doesn't even address the issue at all.

Just another fun day in boaters paradise,

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 471 Old 06-18-2015

Will this legislation stop anyone from towing a hulk in the middle of the night and leaving it in somebody's senic view? Does this legislation provide for the removal of abandoned boats? Or, is it just a way of harassing live-aboards and boaters passing through? Sounds like this will not benefit the general public, just a privleged few.
Group9 likes this.
post #173 of 471 Old 07-01-2015

Can't remember the details right now, but does anyone remember when Sarasota, about 5-8 yrs ago, didn't want a liveaboard staying in their view. I believe they waited till the lone boater went ashore for supplies, then towed his boat to shore. There they used their biggest front-end loader to smash it to pieces and loaded waiting dump trucks to haul away.
Nice town, Sarasota? If you don't consider its dark side, I guess.

post #174 of 471 Old 07-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa View Post
Can't remember the details right now, but does anyone remember when Sarasota, about 5-8 yrs ago, didn't want a liveaboard staying in their view. I believe they waited till the lone boater went ashore for supplies, then towed his boat to shore. There they used their biggest front-end loader to smash it to pieces and loaded waiting dump trucks to haul away.
I watched someone do the same thing with some mangroves that were spoiling their view in Sunny Isles Beach in Florida. Chainsawed them and bulldozed them with the DEQ guy jumping up and down and telling them to stop. When they finished, they asked him how much the fine would be so they could send in a check.

Money talks in most places, but more so in Florida than any other place I ever lived.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
The Following User Says Thank You to Group9 For This Useful Post:
pappa (07-02-2015)
post #175 of 471 Old 07-02-2015

Wink Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa View Post
+1. Group9. Though born in Tampa and grad from HS there, I have lived in CT twice, GA, and TN. FL ranks lowest on fair equitable conduct by LEO, Permitting, taxation, courts, and what one can or cannot do is based purely on who you know and how much you have. Strictly a class based society with separate standards, laws, and penalties. I only returned to be near family. Never know if person who overhears you voice your opinion is disliking what they hear. So, do not invite petty vindictive retribution. Better to avoid those folks and keep life on a sweeter kinder note.
post #176 of 471 Old 07-08-2015

Yep they are still at it...
post #177 of 471 Old 07-09-2015
Captain John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

Now i am not anyway someone who travels on the ocean and looking for an anchorage but i don't understand this either, now its like the claim the back of there home is their body of water? They cant take it with them this down right stupid.. Motor home is totally different that can be closer to your house, a boat is way out at sea! 20 feet what are people doing using someones backyard and beach? now if you are trespassing i can see that to be an issue not every sailor has respect for others!

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
post #178 of 471 Old 07-27-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

The FWC has set meetings for more discussion of derelict vessels. Here is the info copied from Waterway Guide:

As a follow-on to the derelict vessel meeting held in Tallahassee July 1, 2015, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) will be holding five public meetings around the State to gather additional input from stakeholders and waterway managers.

"We have narrowed down the list of 50 solutions that were discussed at the meeting. We now have your top-ranked solutions with potential opportunities for improvement," wrote Phil Horning, FWC Derelict Vessel Program Administrator in an email.

The most popular solutions focus on registration and titling regulations to assure that the owner would be made responsible for a derelict vessel. Horning points out that any solution's popularity is just one factor in determining the best strategy, as some may be impractical or impossible to successfully implement.

All are invited – no need to register. The schedule for the meetings are as follows:

August 3rd (Monday) 2:30pm – 5:00pm EST
St. Lucie County Board of County Commissioners (Commission chambers)
2300 Virginia Avenue
Fort Pierce, Florida 34982

August 11th (Tuesday) 2:30pm – 5:00pm EST
Edgewater City Hall (commission chambers)
104 N. Riverside Drive
Edgewater, Florida 32132

August 12th (Wednesday) 2:30pm – 5:00pm EST
Brandon Regional Service Center
311 Pauls Drive
Brandon, Florida 33511

August 13th (Thursday) 2:30pm – 5:00pm EST
Murray Nelson Government Center
Monroe County Board of County Commissioners (Commission chambers)
102050 Overseas Highway
Key Largo, Florida 33037

August 17th (Monday) 2:30pm – 5:00pm CST
Bay County Board of County Commissioners (Commission chambers)
840 West 11th Street
Panama City, Florida 32401

Link to article:
Five derelict vessel legislation meetings announced located in General | Waterway Guide News Update

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
post #179 of 471 Old 07-27-2015

I really appreciate the diverse discussion regarding anchoring restrictions. We sailed in Florida for about 30 years and I have some experience with the issue of anchoring near homes. In my mind there is a huge difference in storing one's boat for months or years at a time very close to someone's home versus trying to find a suitable place to anchor for a few days. We have had to anchor near homes (which we do not prefer) due to bad weather, poor holding in other areas, approaching darkness and no other options in sight, or just to get a few days rest on a long passage. The issue I have with the legislative approach in Florida to date, is that there is not a real good distinction between these two uses. Yes, I know a provision was added to one of bills to allow one to anchor near a home in the case of exhaustion.

However, how would the exhaustion provision be enforced by police officers? Here is the scenario: One is forced to anchor within the setback limit for one of the "legitimate" reasons listed previously. It is midnight, and a homeowner complains to the water police. The police are obligated to motor out to investigate and wake up a very tired old couple (like us) from a deep sleep. Ever been approached on the water at night by law enforcement? We have and it can be quite unsettling (for everyone involved). So, then what happens? Does the officer tell you move if you can't convince them that you are "exhausted"? Are you issued a ticket to later argue in court?

If you think I am overplaying this, you haven't done enough cruising in Florida and its coastal waters. The problem with this law, like many others, is that the unintended consequences of such a provision will not be addressed adequately before it is passed. Further, the law could give individual municipalities the right to make there own set of rules, which could be completely different than the municipality just next door. Does everyone know exactly where the county line or city limit crosses a waterway?

I am thankful that organizations like SSCA and BoatUS appreciate these difficulties and are attempting to work out a good law that will address derelict and at-risk vessels while maintaining reasonable access and use of the waterways.
post #180 of 471 Old 07-29-2015
Old enough to know better

To me the issues is simple, if the boat does not have a current registration/documentation, then the owner is fined and required to move the boat. If they refuse to move the boat, the local authority removes it and bills the owner. How many of the truly derelict boats have current registrations not many I would guess? Perhaps a requirement to be aboard after a certain amount of time? But the real issue is not derelicts, but people feeling that others should not have access to the water. Rich entitled home owners that don't want to see boats in front of there homes. If the issue was derelicts it would be simple.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in