Florida is at it again - Page 19 - SailNet Community
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 471 Old 07-29-2015

Re: Florida is at it again

Unfortunately I suspect the "real" agenda of some is being hidden behind the derelict boat issue, because it really is a problem. I think Florida Fish and Wildlife, SSCA, BoatUS, and many of the reasonable legislators are trying to keep the two issues clearly separated, whereas the last proposed Senate Bill was wildly out of perspective and balance. If we are successful in exposing the hidden agenda by passing a sound derelict boat law, I believe few legislators would support the unreasonable anchoring limits proposed in the previous Senate Bill.

As a side note, it is often difficult to find the current owner of a derelict boat (in order to force removal or levy a fine) and the cost of removal is not cheap, particularly if it has sunk. I agree that local governments and their tax payers shouldn't have to pay to remove a derelict boat, and that a fair process of monitoring the status of an anchored boat will cost the tax payers in additional enforcement. The easy attempt at fixing the problem would be to restrict all anchoring, which we boaters and many others find unreasonable, unsafe and unworkable. There are always good,balanced solutions to be found. I encourage all boaters to support the work of SSCA and BoatUS, particularly by donating a few dollars to fund their efforts. Waterway Guide, BoatUS and SSCA can tell you how to donate online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 471 Old 07-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
To me the issues is simple, if the boat does not have a current registration/documentation, then the owner is fined and required to move the boat. If they refuse to move the boat, the local authority removes it and bills the owner.
This is a real slippery slope because freedom is freedom. We can't pick & chose which freedoms we want to have while giving up the freedom of others.

Giving local authorities the right to seize derelict boats, it's still private property & I compare that to the eminent domain issue. Taking private property because it allegedly benefits the greater good, the greater good is usually the rich.

Once WE as boaters assist in eliminating them, we're not far behind. That's how the greenies keep adding to the wilderness areas in the national forests, a little at a time until finally the whole kingdom belongs to them.

Just saying...

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!
post #183 of 471 Old 07-29-2015

Here's a very distressing development in the situation regarding the anchorage in Miami Beach, and shore access in the vicinity of Collins Canal...

This has always been one of my favorite spots in South Florida. Beautiful surroundings, a great place to stage for jumping off to the Bahamas. Free municipal wifi, and convenient access to the Lincoln Road Mall and the heart of Miami Beach, a fantastic Publix grocery for provisioning, hardware, drug and liquor stores all convenient to a host of places to tie up along the Collins Canal...

Well, until now...

Signs have been posted along the canal walls, prohibiting tying up to these long-standing shore access points... SeaTow has been charged with the responsibility of towing offenders away, you'll be able to get your dink back after the payment of a $300 fine... Hmmm, the cost of that Bahamian cruising permit no longer sounds too bad, eh?

Details are still a bit sketchy, this is all coming from a thread over on CF...

Miami Beach eliminates shore access by dinghy - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Here is the pertinent post in that thread, showing the municipal statute amendment that prohibits gaining shore access at a public seawall...

Miami Beach eliminates shore access by dinghy - Page 3 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

In recent years, Miami Beach in general has been quite friendly to cruisers, at least in my experience... This obvious attempt to drive cruisers away is VERY disappointing, but I'm afraid it's just a taste of what's to come elsewhere in Florida... Even if a municipality can't restrict anchoring, they do have considerably more latitude in preventing cruisers to gain access to shore...

The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
Cal31Windchaser (07-29-2015)

post #184 of 471 Old 07-29-2015

Time to boycott Seatow nationwide. Send your business to TowboatUS.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Cal31Windchaser (07-29-2015)
post #185 of 471 Old 07-29-2015

It is unfortunate that Seatow didn't decline the business. BoatUS, on the other hand, is spending quite a bit of their resources defending boaters' access.

I think what Miami Beach is doing is just silly. This is unfortunately becoming a "personal" war between the land and boating communities. Very sorry to see that. I hope the State legislature continues to be more objective about the real issues at hand.

The Miami Beach response tells me the anchoring limits might just be the tip of the iceberg in what could become a pretty bad situation for all involved. Would someone from Miami Beach care to tell us what the harm is in tying up ones dinghy so they can go to the store or have a meal out?
post #186 of 471 Old 07-29-2015
RTB
TROUBLE

Well, that sucks. We always enjoyed our time wandering around south beach. Publix always got a good chunk of change from us. Last time there, picked up propane and refilled the wife's BP meds nearby. We're heading that way again in October. It looks like Florida is going to be a challenge. Just sad, really.

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #187 of 471 Old 07-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Well, that sucks. We always enjoyed our time wandering around south beach. Publix always got a good chunk of change from us. Last time there, picked up propane and refilled the wife's BP meds nearby. We're heading that way again in October. It looks like Florida is going to be a challenge. Just sad, really.

Ralph
This doesn't really surprise me, seemed just a matter of time...

I was last in the area south of Venetian Causeway 3 winters ago, though I always prefer to anchor by myself out closer to Monument Island... But in that area closer to the Collins Canal, there was a number of pretty sketchy near-derelict boats... I remember one large steel-hulled POS, the hull covered with rust stains, no mast, that had been sitting there for a LONG time... Obviously incapable of making routine trips to the pump out dock ;-) This is directly below that large high-rise condo development on that little island at the E end of the causeway, and it wouldn't surprise me if some of those residents were getting weary of the view :-)

A couple of years ago, again in the same area, there was a fire aboard one of two boats that had been sitting there long term, rafted together... One of them burned to the waterline, a couple of the owner's dogs perished in the blaze... Again, not a pretty picture...
post #188 of 471 Old 07-29-2015

RV' ers can usually find a walmart

Sorry guess I should have stated that I was talking about the proposed law that would prohibit people from anchoring for even a few hours, overnight or a few nights---

Not the mess we have been shown of some boats left to rot.

If an RV is still running on the roads it has been licenced and should have passed some sort of standard of safety it should not look too derelict---For sure if you parked something in a Walmart lot and left it for long as the lot is private property I am sure you would be told to remove it or it would be removed for you.

Last edited by katiejai; 07-30-2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason: message was not clear
post #189 of 471 Old 07-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejai View Post
RV' ers can usually find a walmart
I would imagine even the good folks at WalMart might take action, if the RV equivalent of this was sitting in one of their lots, for years on end...

;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal31Windchaser View Post

As a side note, it is often difficult to find the current owner of a derelict boat (in order to force removal or levy a fine) and the cost of removal is not cheap, particularly if it has sunk.
On the other hand, when people have 'tagged' their abandoned hulks with links to their YouTube videos, seems they shouldn't be too hard to track down... ;-)

I've been watching this piece of crap sink lower into the mud near Oak Hill at the entrance to Mosquito Lagoon for well over a decade... Until recently, it was the "Base Camp" for the "Action Team Family"... And, as of June, it had yet to be "removed", nor will I be holding my breath on that one... ;-)

And, one of their YouTube masterworks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3nMEHeFt8

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-30-2015 at 12:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
Cal31Windchaser (07-30-2015)
post #190 of 471 Old 07-30-2015

Amen JonEisberg! Great examples of what the real problem is. I don't like looking at eyesores like this either. With as many boat registrations and renewals that occur in Florida each year, you would think a few earmarked dollars per registration and an appropriate state-wide derelict boat removal law would go a long way to ridding the waterways of that junk. Also, if derelict boats were dealt with sooner they wouldn't be as hard to dispose of or create such bad will.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in