Florida is at it again - Page 20 - SailNet Community
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 471 Old 07-30-2015

Re: Florida is at it again

Perhaps they could pass a law that would restrict the length of anchorage---somewhat like camping in some locations--you are only allowed to camp for two weeks in a location and then have to move on--BUT this may also restrict the person who is anchoring out in front of their own property----A real quandry----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 471 Old 07-30-2015

Katiejai, I believe Florida recognizes riparian rights, in which a landowner abutting a water body can construct a dock or mooring on submerged lands that are within Waters of the State. Accordingly, I don't think a permit system that restricts anchoring time would affect them. Now, if you can figure out how to make that work without a huge and onerous administrative and enforcement cost...

I understand that, with the help of SSCA and BoatUS, the FFWC has identified five potential approaches to identify and deal with derelict and at-risk vessels. I am really looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Again! Please donate a few bucks to SSCA's anchoring law fund so they can keep up the good work!
RichH likes this.
post #193 of 471 Old 07-30-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
This is a real slippery slope because freedom is freedom. We can't pick & chose which freedoms we want to have while giving up the freedom of others.

Giving local authorities the right to seize derelict boats, it's still private property & I compare that to the eminent domain issue. Taking private property because it allegedly benefits the greater good, the greater good is usually the rich.

Once WE as boaters assist in eliminating them, we're not far behind. That's how the greenies keep adding to the wilderness areas in the national forests, a little at a time until finally the whole kingdom belongs to them.

Just saying...
So what you are saying is allow them to sink and become navigation hazards? Oh and as a side bar, it gives the land owners the excuse to ban all anchoring? As that is the way it is going. These are boats that are obviously abandoned. No one is saying that the government should seize private assets, these are boats that have been abandoned and in many cases have had all identifying markings removed, so the owner cannot be traced. The preferable thing would be to find the owners and force them to remove it, but if they will not or can not, then action should be taken. Say for instance a car is left on the side of the road, serial numbers removed license plates removed. How long should it be left on the side of the road?

post #194 of 471 Old 07-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
So what you are saying is allow them to sink and become navigation hazards? Oh and as a side bar, it gives the land owners the excuse to ban all anchoring?
I'm not saying that Paul. Whenever other parties hop on board an issue thinking if we get rid of X then the spot light won't be on me,
I think it's dangerous. I don't blame the landowners for wanting to rid the scenery of this trash. Given the anchoring issues & landowners feelings, once it starts it will eventually include folks like you & me. I don't like the looks of your boat, get off, we're confiscating it. That's why I said this is a slippery slope, I don't trust them.

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!
post #195 of 471 Old 07-30-2015

I just went through an extensive list of the marinas in the Florida Keys to check which ones permitted live aboards - most DO NOT. I was amazed! You really don't have many options other than anchoring out unless you are prepared to shell out nearly $800 a month for a 33 foot boat to be tied to a concrete bulkhead of floating dock that is owned by a city or municipality. Nothing, absolutely nothing, amazes me anymore.

On my way south two years ago, I pulled into a large cove to spend the night along the ICW in central Florida, and on shore there was a sign that said "NO OVERNIGHT ANCHORING!" I was tired, hungry, thirsty, and it was damned near pitch black dark. I said to myself "The Hell with it" and dropped the hook. Got a couple stares from someone on shore the next morning, but I could have cared less - they were 500 yards away and it ain't their damned water and they don't own the damned bottom.

Cheers,

Gary
post #196 of 471 Old 08-07-2015

Thanks for the reply. I had the same thought. It's well below what I had projects my cost to be.
post #197 of 471 Old 08-07-2015

Abandoned or illegally parked cars are towed to an impound lot. You want it back? Pay the fine and towing bill. After so many days the car is auctioned off.
I don't know why this can't be done for boats. No registration numbers, no HIN, tow it.

As far as the action team family and their piece of crap, they are not cute, those are the ones that ruin it for the rest of us responsible boaters.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #198 of 471 Old 08-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Abandoned or illegally parked cars are towed to an impound lot. You want it back? Pay the fine and towing bill. After so many days the car is auctioned off.
I don't know why this can't be done for boats...
Because the derelict boats that you are talking about are worthless, and will cost thousands of dollars to dispose of. That's why nobody wants to touch them - you touch it, you're responsible for it.

The car analogy is not relevant. Most cars have some value, even if just for parts. Abandoned boats almost always have negative value.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #199 of 471 Old 08-07-2015

Here are the executive officers of SeaTwo.

Not sure about these email addresses, but email address I found in some of their press releases shows that their standard email address format is first initial, last name @Sea tow.com

So, I added my guess for their email addresses might be. I sent an email to each of them and only received one bounced-back message (Cindy McCaffrey), so perhaps these are their correct email addresses.

Captain Joseph Frohnhoefer - Chairman / CEO / Founder
(email address unsure, recently passed away)

Georgia Frohnhoefer - Executive Vice President
GFrohnhoefer (-at-) seatow (-dot-)com

Captain Joseph Frohnhoefer III - Chief Operating Officer
(email address unsure)

Kristen Frohnhoefer - Chief Administrative Officer
KFrohnhoefer (-at-) seatow(-dot-)com

Jim Foley - Chief Financial Officer
JFoley (-at-) seatow(-dot-)com

Cindy McCaffery - Vice President of Program Development
CMcCaffery (-at-) seatow(-dot-)com
post #200 of 471 Old 09-18-2015
Steve&Brandy-SV Wiki Honu

Make sure while you are cruising around Florida that you let businesses you visit know that you are anchoring nearby and you are spending money with them that will go away if the landowners get their way. Make them aware of the issue now and get their support long before a vote is a week away. Keep track of the $$ you spend while cruising in Florida and include that in the first line of letters you send to legislators. Battles are won in the planning.

-Steve

Steve - The Sailing Rode Podcast
From Local Cruising to Global Cruising

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in