Florida is at it again - Page 25 - SailNet Community
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 471 Old 09-25-2015

Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Hey, thank you. I need to look that one up, cause we never stopped there, and always looking for something new. I gotta say, the west coast of Florida is pretty sweet for the most part. The east coast, a bit more challenging, but feel we can find anchorages without any offset being a problem.

I'm not quite sure if those from Connecticut have actual experience anchoring in Florida? For me, I was a bit worried about what I'd find in Florida once we got there last time. Actually, we had absolutely no problems at all, and totally enjoyed our time there. No doubt, if cruisers start having major problems in Florida, it will be very well advertised. I'll surely announce any problems when cruising through. Honestly, I doubt that will be a problem.

Ralph
Many years ago we bought our current sailboat at Clearwater Beach and sailed her the 1700 miles home to CT. Our first stop was at Longboat Key where we anchored near Moore's Stone Crab restaurant. We picked up slips for the most part enroute to east coast, but also anchored fore-aft on the side of the Caloosahatchee Canal west of Clewiston. You'd need to compare your air draft to the bridge clearances, but I recall there was a 49' clearance near Indiantown that may not allow you to cross FL via Lake Okeechobee. We left FL at Fort Pierce and rode the Gulfstream to NC, so we didn't anchor on the east side of FL.

Maybe 10 years ago we chartered out of Burnt Store Marina and anchored a 35' sailboat at Gasparilla, inside Boca Grande, and also behind the barrier islands in Pine Island Sound. Never had a problem in FL, but the only area we anchored near homes was Gasparilla.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 471 Old 09-25-2015

Done time as a NIMBY so let me show you some pointers.
All those "helping" the boaters should be suspect... Likely as not, they may work for the homeowners, not the boaters. Anyone with a brain cell left knows boaters are orphans in the political theater. The service these planted helpers and "leaders" preform as "volunteers" is to test the water for likelihood of passing it. Like whether the opposition has a lawyer and how serious the threat to them is. If the threat is bad they simply fold up shop and come back stronger another day after everyones gone home.
The tricks they have in their arsenal are well established and go back before you're born. The activists are at best sitting duck because the people they hire "perform" the most critical tasks and that is so they can drop the ball if asked.
Don't think for second they see their job as subversive because people have a way of justifying how they make a living and the risk to them from the boaters??? Come on... It's a cake walk. Most are hiding in plain sight and if you expose them they send new ones, too good to be true. One can only imagine if the impostors are exposed how that demoralizes the opposition. Their purpose is not to collapse the opposition but to nurture it and thus later they will claim the "people were well informed, the meetings well attended and so. If no one showed they would be required to locate opposition to create the air of contest.

There are but a few players to these operations and they are: The developers and residents who pay consultants to represent them and are well funded. The politicians who pretend none of the money they have in their campaign chest affects their vote. And then the novelist activist who makes up for a poor education with passion... The money from the first goes to the second and there is plenty of co-operation between them. The politician tells the proposers of the law that they will loose votes if they support such a law. They won't call it a bribe but they donate to their re-electionof the second. Now you have 2 to 1 odds of it's passage.

If there is no opposition the politician in some cases must create it, (seen that)... That is likely the only time you would have the so called activist "paid" since his or her job is not to oppose in a affective way but to present enough obvious threat to the politician's re-election that he would need a donation to off set the margin... Nothing I have indicated here is at all in anyway illegal.
The only party unpaid in this equation is the passion fed "legit activist" who will tire over time. The meetings will have all the necessary rhetoric guaranteed to put you to sleep and draw it out with tax payed engineers and and consultant paid experts who give for all the world to see, a seemingly logical conclusion while the passionate speeches while away the hours into the morning.
Soon the most ardent and stubborn supporters head back to the feed bag and as it was said on this thread, the proponents can loose till the cows come home but the activists need only loose once and the bill is law.

Few people have the time to even look at what the legislators do setting aside the municipalities so there can be no rescue. We live in the busiest times of all time. You might have some sad case on disability or public assistance but I guarantee the working class has barely time to vote let alone shape that vote. "Lost at sea" we are, while the machine has specific steps to do away with our freedoms and corral us cash cows into their paddock where we can't view them living high on the hog...
I am mature enough to sympathize for the long journey it takes to climb to a high end home in a gated community. However, many of them profited if not sold us that bringing more people "yearning to breath" here, was in fact good for US all... Imagine the impacts caused by the newbees dumped into our rivers, bays and lakes and yes the ocean. Yet it only becomes an issue when a boater does it.
There's no way around it. You profit from more people -there will be less room and privacy and quality of life for all... Fair is fair!!!
post #243 of 471 Old 09-25-2015

Ralph, not too far south of Long Boat Key is Charlotte Harbor. There is an absolutely wonderful anchorage called Pelican Bay on the inside of an Island called Cayo Costa. It is right on the way to the Caloosahatchee River if you are planning to cross the State their.

The bay is well protected and the State runs a tractor pulled wagon across the island to a beach on the Gulf.

You are absolutely correct about the west coast. It is loaded with great anchorages, nice marinas and good seafood.

We are making the leg from Carrabelle, FL to Ft. Myers, then to Glades Storage on the Caloosahatchee next month.
RTB likes this.

post #244 of 471 Old 10-08-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

Well I was unable to attend due to work related duties, as Iím sure many of you were, but did watch the video stream of the hearing on anchoring restrictions. You can watch the video archive here:

House Video Player: State Affairs Committee

What I can say, is that if boaters donít speak up about this, we are going to lose this battle. My suggestion is to email the representatives on this committee, the State Affairs Committee, and voice your opinion. The State Affairs Committee can be found here:

Florida House of Representatives - State Affairs Committee

ďAny fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.Ē -Sir Francis Chichester
post #245 of 471 Old 10-09-2015

We're cruising the west coast of Florida right now on our way to the Bahamas. A 300 foot set back or a 72 hour time limit would be unworkable most of the time, especially when fronts come through. Luckily, the west coast is still mostly Floridians rather than emigrant New Yorkers, so crazy and mean and entitled hasn't struck here, yet.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #246 of 471 Old 10-09-2015
bell ringer

I think it very silly for people to think that the Florida political system cares what a small number of out of state boaters think!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #247 of 471 Old 10-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
We're cruising the west coast of Florida right now on our way to the Bahamas. A 300 foot set back or a 72 hour time limit would be unworkable most of the time, especially when fronts come through. Luckily, the west coast is still mostly Floridians rather than emigrant New Yorkers, so crazy and mean and entitled hasn't struck here, yet.
Wait 'till you get to Marco Island... ;-)

That was scene of Round One of the legal wrangling that brought us to where we are today, after all...

Score One for the Anchoring Activists | Cruising World
post #248 of 471 Old 10-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I think it very silly for people to think that the Florida political system cares what a small number of out of state boaters think!
When I lived in Florida, I got the distinct impression the didn't care what in state boaters think, either. All politicians are for sale to the highest bidder, but Florida embraces it a little too enthusiastically for me.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #249 of 471 Old 10-09-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
We're cruising the west coast of Florida right now on our way to the Bahamas.
Good luck on your passage. The weather forecast for my area, Tampa Bay, looks great for the next 7-10 days. However, light winds may be the norm.

ďAny fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.Ē -Sir Francis Chichester
post #250 of 471 Old 10-10-2015

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The argument that relies on the way navigable waters had been originally regulated 200 years ago, will be refuted with witch burning and slavery. Laws change. That's directly their point for introducing legislation to do so.
Yes, laws change as times change, but one huge distinguishing difference is that people can own and use a particular portion of land, but with the oceans they can not so easily be divided up and used by any one person or entity. Water flows, tides and currents move the waters from one location to another, therefore it may be understood that the oceans of the world belong to ALL of the people of the world, and are available to use (not abuse with pollution!) by watercraft of all types. So this concept establishes the right to anchor in these public waters without claiming them for any particular person, so that all anchorages should be vacated periodically, otherwise people will abuse the right of access to the oceans and live their entire lives in one location on one boat. So this is where we are at in Florida--who regulates the anchorage laws and how often must a person move their watercraft, without being denied access to use the waters?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in