Florida is at it again - Page 27 - SailNet Community
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 471 Old 10-13-2015
al brazzi

Re: Florida is at it again

This has some parallel with the gun rights debate. "All my guns are protection guns so don't bother me with the issues with the bad guys" For me there's nothing more representative of the freedom of life than a sailboat, but anchor a crap pile broken down Junker in my view for a couple of weeks and my view will change. What I'm saying is as Boat owners we have a responsibility to observe and help police the derelicts in the mix. IMHO free navigation wins but what would a listening man hear in this argument.
If this is not part of the issue forgive me, but anyone who travelled to KW 30 years ago and enjoyed Houseboat row understands however unique and interesting it was it had to go.
I understand air Boats are being banned on personnel level from the Glades, I think excluding commercial air Boating. I would assume they are reacting to a problem as they see it.
200' seems pretty close to anchor to anything especially someone's house. At least when Miami is underwater we will still be floating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 471 Old 10-13-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
What I'm saying is as Boat owners we have a responsibility to observe and help police the derelicts in the mix. IMHO free navigation wins but what would a listening man hear in this argument.
They don't care about derelicts, they just don't want any boat behind their house. If you watch the recent hearing, you will see both Miami Beach residents argue that NO Boat should be able to anchor overnight. And one of those residents even tells the panel that some of the yachts are very nice, some over a million dollars. They don't care about that, they just don't want anyone behind their house. By the way, they don't care about your house, just theirs. That is why the 200' keeps getting brought up. If the 200' set-back gets adopted, it will eliminate anchoring in Sunset Lake. That is all those residents want.......
Group9 likes this.

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
post #263 of 471 Old 10-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyJ View Post
......If the 200' set-back gets adopted, it will eliminate anchoring in Sunset Lake. That is all those residents want.......
Understood and that's not acceptable. However, I find the argument that one should be able to anchor anywhere, for however long they like, because the ocean is the last bastion of freedom, to be equally manipulative.

A reasonable setback makes sense. A reasonable number of nights for a transient makes sense. The debate should be over what they should be.

Here's a scenario. You drop anchor off a waterfront home and notice a bunch of tents and chairs in the lawn, but no activity. After shutting down, the owner says that his daughter is getting married the next morning on their lawn and politely asks if you wouldn't mind moving, as you're currently 50 ft from his yard (ie closer than most guests will be). Yes, a regular voice conversation could be had at that distance.

I would move in a heartbeat. If you wouldn't, we see this very differently.
Sal Paradise likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #264 of 471 Old 10-13-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
I would move in a heartbeat. If you wouldn't, we see this very differently.
Personally, I wouldn't anchor in Sunset Lake. I have never anchored within 200' of any structure. The canal I live on is about 175' wide. And I wouldn't want to be that close to a sea wall. However, if these guys get their way, what's next?? 500', 1000', 2000'. Once the battle is over in Sunset Lake, they will march right over to the next larger cove and demand anchoring restrictions there.

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
post #265 of 471 Old 10-13-2015

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't anchor in Sunset Lake. I have never anchored within 200' of any structure. The canal I live on is about 175' wide. And I wouldn't want to be that close to a sea wall. However, if these guys get their way, what's next?? 500', 1000', 2000'. Once the battle is over in Sunset Lake, they will march right over to the next larger cove and demand anchoring restrictions there.
Got it. The concern is politics, not practicality.

You may be right, but your argument is the same for gun control. Most don't really minds tighter restrictions, they fear what might be next.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #266 of 471 Old 10-13-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
they fear what might be next.
Well, we don't even have to wait until the battle in Sunset Lake is over. Once again, if you watch the video of the hearing, you will see that Rep. George Moraitis is proposing an entire ban on anchoring in the Middle River. The Middle River is about 775' wide.........

post #267 of 471 Old 10-13-2015

Quote:
This really doesn't have any weight. The waterway I live on was also man-made. I cannot choose what water activities are able to occur there.

Let's say I decide I don't like jet skiers.... Would you think it correct for me to contribute to some politician to attempt to enact a law to restrict jet ski use behind my house??
I'm not saying that such an argument necessarily "carries any weight"... I was simply pointing out many of the anchorages being threatened in places like Dade and Broward counties are not really 'natural waterways', nor were they being frequented by boats before the existence of houses on the waterfront - a point the poster I was responding to apparently does believe "carries some weight"...
post #268 of 471 Old 10-13-2015
Captain Obvious

I have been reading about this, trying to educate myself on this issue. This bog has some information and comment on the issue that I think is worth reading - one thing I agree with in general is the view that politicians are being legally bribed and that this generally has a negative impact on both the public and public resources. I dont think any campaign contribution over $100 should be allowed ever, by anyone and none by corporations. Anyway his commentary below and on the link

"I’m completely fed up with these ongoing attempts to eliminate the rights of the general public in favor of a few wealthy homeowners."

"...you bought the land to your property line, and not one inch beyond that. The rest of it belongs to the public."

"To limit the rights of the general public with any sort of anchoring legislation would be in essence a conveyance of those rights to the hands of those benefiting from said conveyance - the waterfront landowners. After all, it is they who are driving this process of endless fighting over this issue, not the boaters, not the guy living inland or the casual tourist visiting the state. It’s a few wealthy homeowners who are the force behind this fight."

LiveBloggin' the ICW: Florida is doing it AGAIN!
joethecobbler likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #269 of 471 Old 10-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Understood and that's not acceptable. However, I find the argument that one should be able to anchor anywhere, for however long they like, because the ocean is the last bastion of freedom, to be equally manipulative.
Of course. Reasonable people should be able to come to a reasonable compromise that protects the rights off all.

That's the problem, though. That word "reasonable." There are just way too many people--let's be honest, on both sides of this issue--who refuse to be reasonable. So it is going to come down to whoever can muster the political clout to get what they want.

It is unfortunate that it has to come to that, but that seems to be the way most such things get resolved these days.
post #270 of 471 Old 10-13-2015

Every candidate should be given a fixed budget from which to campaign. Public access television, standard debates, etc. Level playing field.

Ban political parties. Both parties fund virtually their entire primary, with the resource of the wealthiest members of their clan. Once you achieve the nomination, it's already too late. You sold out to get it.

You won't see reform in our grandchildren's lifetime.
Sal Paradise and Minnesail like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in