Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 471 Old 10-13-2015

Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Got it. The concern is politics, not practicality.

You may be right, but your argument is the same for gun control. Most don't really minds tighter restrictions, they fear what might be next.
Much easier to slowly boil a frog to death than to throw him into a pot of boiling water.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #273 of 471 Old 10-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
200' doesn't seem at all unreasonable if you think about it, 200' is not very far. If you can't anchor, move along until you find a place where you're at least 200' from a persons home. I don't see the big deal here.

From a non cruisers perspective, it's kind of hard to view why exactly your recreation/vacation whims should take precedence over homeowners who have invested in the area for the long term and actually live there and pay taxes there. 200' seems pretty reasonable, you're still close, and the homeowner doesn't have a bunch of anchored transient cruisers parked on top of him with a 200' buffer law in place.

Property is valued higher when it's on the water (typically), and there is a reason for that. Seems kind of entitled to think you have an automatic right to anchor wherever you want in an area you have zero investment in just because you want to, regardless of what the locals feel about the matter. Saying things like "they think they own the view", while whining about not being able to (temporarily) own that view yourself seems like double speak.

I'll never understand why cruisers often hold the locals of tropical foreign lands in the utmost regard, and totally respect their culture and customs, but at home often show none of this courtesy to their fellow citizens. I also do believe sincerely that if RV's suddenly started landing less than 200' from your home, blocking your views that you don't own, you'd probably be up in arms and have the problem dealt with in short order.
Well, that's certainly the view of the guys pushing this. What's the point of being rich if you can't buy everything you want?

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

post #274 of 471 Old 10-13-2015
You really are funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
What's the point of being rich if you can't buy everything you want?
Finally, someone who gets it.

Before someone pops an oxygen bottle hose and keels over, I am kidding. On a serious note though, perhaps one of the villains the cruiser set might want to set their sights on is Captain Onions and his derelict 27' 1978 Hunter who in the process of "getting away from society and being, like free man!", takes up residence in front of some contributing member of societies multi million dollar waterfront home ruining it for the rest of you.

Scratch that, Captain Onions is alright. Just misunderstood and a little stinky. Perhaps it was simply one too many noisy wind gens that finally galvanized the 1% to fight for legislation. Who can really tell.. point is there is more than one side to this debate...
post #275 of 471 Old 10-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Finally, someone who gets it.

Before someone pops an oxygen bottle hose and keels over, I am kidding. On a serious note though, perhaps one of the villains the cruiser set might want to set their sights on is Captain Onions and his derelict 27' 1978 Hunter who in the process of "getting away from society and being, like free man!", takes up residence in front of some contributing member of societies multi million dollar waterfront home ruining it for the rest of you.

Scratch that, Captain Onions is alright. Just misunderstood and a little stinky. Perhaps it was simply one too many noisy wind gens that finally galvanized the 1% to fight for legislation. Who can really tell.. point is there is more than one side to this debate...
No doubt, homeless people, low life's, and bums are unpleasant to look at where ever the are found, but restricting the rights of transient cruisers in the name of stomping out this problem is like restricting commuters from stopping at rest stops because someone saw a homeless person living in their car.

It reminds me of the sixties when all of our public pools had to be closed right after intergration was ordered because they all suddenly had severe maintainence problems and were too expensive to fix. It kept the blacks out of those neighborhoods for sure, but I sure missed having a pool to go swim in. But, it was never about discrimination, you see. The pools all simply broke at once.
Minnesail likes this.

post #276 of 471 Old 10-14-2015

I've read the argument that a 200ft setback would effectively close miles of the ICW and one isn't permitted to transit the ICW in the dark. While I don't subscribe to providing anchorages, as I can count may places that never had any for miles to begin with, I also can't see a measure that effectively closes long stretches of the ICW to anyone that can move fast enough between anchorages. We also don't want to open it up to night travel, or the consequences and cost could be greater. In a sense, we've already created the problem.

There must be a compromise in there somewhere. Does 100ft allow for anchorages close enough that they can be transited during daylight? Could the regulation exclude anchoring in some places between 1hr after sunrise and 1 hr before sunset, rather than excluded it entirely by the setback, just to allow transiting?

I'm not saying these are good ideas, only that we all need to get along and come up with something. There are a-holes in all walks of life, ashore and afloat.

The slow boiling water analogy is a damnation against democracy. I should decide all these matters, rationally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #277 of 471 Old 10-14-2015
Schooner Captain

Quote:
one isn't permitted to transit the ICW in the dark.
That is incorrect. You can transit 24/7. Tugs do it all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #278 of 471 Old 10-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
No kidding. Where did I get that, I wonder? Are there restricted sections or vessel types. Could have sworn this was an issue.

Fair enough.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #279 of 471 Old 10-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
Which is one of the reasons not to transit it at night.

post #280 of 471 Old 10-14-2015
Schooner Captain

Quote:
No kidding. Where did I get that, I wonder? Are there restricted sections or vessel types. Could have sworn this was an issue.

Fair enough.
Not many cruisers do it. There is floatsum to worry about, unmarked shoals, ect. Must tugs and commercial boats have been there before, have a saved track, or know the waters.
I have done the ICW at night myself, its not much fun.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in