Florida is at it again - Page 29 - SailNet Community
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #281 of 471 Old 10-14-2015

Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Which is one of the reasons not to transit it at night.
Yet when compared with the amount of traffic seen north of the FL-GA line, tug traffic on the ICW in Florida - particularly South Florida - is so minimal as to be practically non-existent...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 471 Old 10-14-2015

I am in Florida and you are wasting time if you think things will change. Find another place to anchor. Pretty simple and not a lot of effort. This may be a bit inconvenient; just remember that sailors created the problem for sailors--not home owners. If you want to unite, unite against cruising folks being irresponsible. Florida homeowners are simply responding to the small percentage of sailors who do not have the foresight to understand how their behavior might affect others.

This is no different than having some rust bucket truck, car or mobile home park in front of your home and get left there. You cannot find the owner. Or, if you do, they ignore you. Would you put up with that? The street is not your property, but it would still aggravate you to no end. And, it could affect the perceived value of the area. Most cruising folks and liveaboards are outstanding. But, there are always going to be low-life liveaboards. It takes just a few to cause problems like this.
post #283 of 471 Old 10-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've read the argument that a 200ft setback would effectively close miles of the ICW and one isn't permitted to transit the ICW in the dark. While I don't subscribe to providing anchorages, as I can count may places that never had any for miles to begin with, I also can't see a measure that effectively closes long stretches of the ICW to anyone that can move fast enough between anchorages. We also don't want to open it up to night travel, or the consequences and cost could be greater. In a sense, we've already created the problem.

There must be a compromise in there somewhere. Does 100ft allow for anchorages close enough that they can be transited during daylight? Could the regulation exclude anchoring in some places between 1hr after sunrise and 1 hr before sunset, rather than excluded it entirely by the setback, just to allow transiting?

I'm not saying these are good ideas, only that we all need to get along and come up with something. There are a-holes in all walks of life, ashore and afloat.

The slow boiling water analogy is a damnation against democracy. I should decide all these matters, rationally.
One size for setbacks does not fit all situations. Nor does a setback, per se, address other legitimate waterway uses, like transiting, recreational boating (vs. parking) to include sailing, kayaking, etc.

In our harbor we have designated transient anchorages, a fairway through a mooring field (to reduce confllicts between moving and parked boats), and a designated open area to facilitate setting sail before reaching open water at the mouth of our harbor. That is in addition to mooring field setbacks, which are 150' for residential areas and 100' for commercial areas.

My point is that there are a variety of legitimate boating issues that should be accommodated in resolving the transient issue. As some have insinuated, you could turn a narrow waterway into wall-to-wall "parking lot" or, for that matter, you could turn a much larger area into a parking lot to the detriment of boaters who need some open space. One example in our area is the area to the southeast in what is known as the Noank anchorage. Our harbor management plan, which is in effect, designates the area to the east of a north-south line tangent to the west coast of Ram Island and south of Seal Rocks (by Masons Island) to be cleared of moorings through attrition and by precluding new moorings there. FWIW, AC incorrectly identifies this area as an anchorage. Also, FWIW, the southern end of this area has an active shellfish lease--all the more reason to keep moored/anchored boats at a distance.

post #284 of 471 Old 10-14-2015
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellemark32 View Post
I am in Florida and you are wasting time if you think things will change. Find another place to anchor. Pretty simple and not a lot of effort. This may be a bit inconvenient; just remember that sailors created the problem for sailors--not home owners. If you want to unite, unite against cruising folks being irresponsible. Florida homeowners are simply responding to the small percentage of sailors who do not have the foresight to understand how their behavior might affect others.

This is no different than having some rust bucket truck, car or mobile home park in front of your home and get left there. You cannot find the owner. Or, if you do, they ignore you. Would you put up with that? The street is not your property, but it would still aggravate you to no end. And, it could affect the perceived value of the area. Most cruising folks and liveaboards are outstanding. But, there are always going to be low-life liveaboards. It takes just a few to cause problems like this.
You want boaters to take the law into their own hands? I have no jurisdiction and its a crime for me to take someone's boat or to interfere with it. There are people who are authorized to do it. Police. Why doesnt the state just pull the derelict boats and fine the owners? Ahh see that's the problem! Lazy inefficient corrupt government not doing it's job - cheaper and easier to ban everyone! That may be a good approach for a derelict neighborhood car ........not for the water. Demand more from your government.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 10-14-2015 at 10:25 AM.
post #285 of 471 Old 10-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellemark32 View Post

Like blacks trying to move into your neighborhood. Some
may be okay, but safer to keep them all out.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #286 of 471 Old 10-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yet when compared with the amount of traffic seen north of the FL-GA line, tug traffic on the ICW in Florida - particularly South Florida - is so minimal as to be practically non-existent...
Just think, every time you see a day marker, or bridge dolphin taken out, and picture it being your boat instead.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #287 of 471 Old 10-14-2015
Shanachie, Bristol 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Like blacks trying to move into your neighborhood. Some
may be okay, but safer to keep them all out.
Personally, I avoid neighborhoods with bigoted rednecks in them. Who needs rusty pickup trucks, pit bulls, middle-aged fat guys toting guns, meth heads, old refrigerators in the back yard and Confederate flags? Not in my backyard.
post #288 of 471 Old 10-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananchie View Post
Personally, I avoid neighborhoods with bigoted rednecks in them. Who needs rusty pickup trucks, pit bulls, middle-aged fat guys toting guns, meth heads, old refrigerators in the back yard and Confederate flags? Not in my backyard.
Is this some kind of bad joke? This comment and the Group9 comment to which it responds are out of line for this thread. This isn't about political correctness (rednecks are people, too) but about civility (or lack thereof.)
post #289 of 471 Old 10-14-2015
You really are funny!!

#rednecklivesmatter
post #290 of 471 Old 10-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananchie View Post
I75 north leads you to I95 and further north. Bye.
UnionPacific likes this.

A St. Augustine Minorcan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in