Florida is at it again - Page 32 - SailNet Community
 113Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #311 of 471 Old 12-13-2015
Senior Member
 
johnnyquest37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 408
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Florida is at it again

The waterways belong to all of us, not just the few who are wealthy enough to have a waterfront home. There are not that many places to anchor as it is on the Atlantic ICW between Cape Canaveral and Miami. Prohibit anchoring 200 feet from a waterfront home and you essentially make the eastern part of Florida impossible to transit without using marinas.

[/B]S/V Wind Orchid
Catalina 350 (hull# 273)
Annapolis, MD

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
johnnyquest37 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #312 of 471 Old 12-13-2015
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 21,075
Thanks: 82
Thanked 592 Times in 568 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
....Florida is primarily a watersport state.....
Primarily? Disney is an hour from the water and the vast majority of FL residents do not live on or very near the water, nor do they participate in water sports. Therein lies the actual situation. The few boaters arguing their point of view with the overwhelming majority of landlubbers who just look at the water.

Democracy is the best system ever created, but it's not without it's flaws.

There will require a compromise here. 100ft? 150ft? Some areas with 100, others with 200?

Frankly, show me an anchorage where hard stuff or the channel is less than 200 ft (a few boat lengths) in all directions and I don't consider it an acceptable anchorage for anything less than an emergency anyway. 200 ft feels like reach out and touch it distance. I'm not siding with the arrogant waterfront landowner, but I am sympathizing that there needs to be a compromise.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #313 of 471 Old 12-13-2015
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 21,075
Thanks: 82
Thanked 592 Times in 568 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 View Post
The waterways belong to all of us....
So did the dirt, until people created a system of legal ownership of land. In fact, the government gave land away, that arguable belonged to all of us, in order to settle it.

Arguing the history of laws and regulations has some finite applicability in history. There is no inalienable human right here, it's simply what people created as law, which dates back only a puny amount of time we've occupied this planet. People can and do change them.

Compromise.
fallard likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
 
post #314 of 471 Old 12-13-2015
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Florida is at it again

Home owners do not "own" the ocean near their homes!
They should buy someplace else if they do not like sailboats resting at their anchors, legally, where they are entitled to.
Petee
Petee is offline  
post #315 of 471 Old 12-13-2015
bell ringer
 
Don L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bahamas
Posts: 4,476
Thanks: 11
Thanked 125 Times in 111 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: Florida is at it again

The only reason for the 200' setback is get rid of boaters. Otherwise it would not be acceptable for $10M houses to be 20' feet apart. But having been in Fort Lauderdale last week and taking a "cruise" on the Jungle Queen that goes down the river and back talking on a loud speaker behind $20M+ houses it just seems like so much BS

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don L is online now  
post #316 of 471 Old 12-13-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc
 
DavyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 112
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
There will require a compromise here. 100ft? 150ft? Some areas with 100, others with 200?
There will be no compromise under 200'..................

Why? Because the main character involved in these attempts to restrict anchoring needs 200' to eliminate anchoring in his canal.

That is the situation plain and simple.

There are a lot of ridiculous arguments in this thread about RV's, taxes and property rights. The truth is this, another attempt will be made to restrict anchoring in the upcoming legislative session. If cruisers and boaters do not show up in opposition to these attempts we will get restrictions....................

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
DavyJ is offline  
post #317 of 471 Old 12-13-2015
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 21,075
Thanks: 82
Thanked 592 Times in 568 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyJ View Post
There will be no compromise under 200'..................

Why? Because the main character involved in these attempts to restrict anchoring needs 200' to eliminate anchoring in his canal.

That is the situation plain and simple.
I think everyone understands that. However, it's an easy argument for that "character" to make to all the land dwelling voters. Think about it. Only 200 ft would restrict all anchoring. Has to be a very, very, very tight place to anchor in the first place. Easy to make a safety issue out of it.

I think everyone also understands that this particular situation will translate to all of FL, therefore, there may need to be a compromise to keep the non-boating public from just handing such an easy to understand (from the non-boater) win to this character.

Finally, I also understand that lobbying for anything requires an extreme view and ugly fighting. Unfortunate, but true. I'm just afraid that ultimately we'll lose this one and we should try to salvage as much as we can. All or nothing, could seriously end up with nothing. Negotiate a 100ft setback and the legislature is unlikely to ever take it up again, it would be settled at that point. The "character" essentially loses, because there are still some boats, but we have to compromise to a reasonable separation. One which I would never encroach upon anyway.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #318 of 471 Old 12-13-2015
Member
 
Curious Sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
A 200 ft setback will effectively prohibit anchoring in Ft Lauderdale and Miami.
Didn't know that.. Guess I'm speaking for the area I live in just north of west palm beach.. Here we have mooring fields and they kind of keep things in order. I suppose setbacks could vary based on land development....

Good point.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curious Sailor is offline  
post #319 of 471 Old 12-14-2015
You really are funny!!
 
chrisncate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,781
Thanks: 19
Thanked 37 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
The difference is simple. Florida is primarily a watersport state. Many homes with access to the Intracoastal and/or the many, many waterways, canals, etc. often have docks (one of the things that helps sell homes btw), and the sight of uncountable power and sailboats is commonplace, acceptable and for most - desirable. And no one across the canal complains that their same or opposite side neighbor has a sailboat docked 24/7.

It's what Florida is all about. Keep in mind that the waterways are both legally and for all practical purposes distinct from neighborhood streets. This poster also posed the made up problem of "random RV's parked for extended periods in residential neighborhoods, which is simply a strawman unworthy of dissent.
Pff, what is the population of FL in relation to the number of out of state transient sailboaters. What is the population of in state resident sailboaters in relation to overall residents?

It's hardly appropriate to make the argument that FL "is all about" sailboaters rights via the opinion that FL is a "watersport state".

You want to claim my RV example is a "strawman" (it isn't), ok. How about the simple fact that roads and highways are regulated and you can't just pull over and set up shop for weeks on end anywhere you like? Why are waterways any different? Because you feel like sailing is somehow a right?
chrisncate is offline  
post #320 of 471 Old 12-14-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc
 
DavyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 112
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: Florida is at it again

Comparing roadways and RV's to the use of the waterway is asinine............

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xroo-FEMzms
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
DavyJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New York To Florida, Restock, FLorida to bahamas OceanSailor4 General Discussion (sailing related) 4 07-01-2010 05:51 PM
New York To Florida, Restock, FLorida to bahamas OceanSailor4 General Discussion (sailing related) 1 07-01-2010 05:24 PM
Voted #1 Florida Press 2004 FIRST PLACE Best Web Site Florida Keys Keynoter (Keynoter.com) NewsReader News Feeds 0 01-13-2007 01:15 AM
Voted #1 Florida Press 2004 and 2005 Best Web Site Florida Keys Keynoter (Keynoter.com) NewsReader News Feeds 0 11-04-2006 01:16 AM
Voted #1 Florida Press 2004 FIRST PLACE Best Web Site Florida Keys Keynoter (Keynoter.com) NewsReader News Feeds 0 05-05-2006 07:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome