Florida is at it again - Page 39 - SailNet Community
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #381 of 471 Old 12-30-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
these are TINY areas in close proximity to residences
Yes some of them are small, but again, these areas are included to appease the property owners mentioned in this thread numerous times. However, you may have missed the reference to the Middle River. According to Google, that section is over two miles long and in some areas over 700' wide.

Quote:
If this is the way you poke your most sympathetic audience in the eye, at the slightest disagreement, you must be the cause's biggest nightmare.
Don't take this personally, my intention is to get people hopping mad, pissed off and hopefully riled up enough to actually show up and do something.

So to that end, we both may be helping the cause....

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 471 Old 12-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyJ View Post
.....in some areas over 700' wide.
That's awfully narrow. The middle must be for navigation, which no one can anchor in anyway. That can't leave much room for even the closest anchor to shore.

Quote:
Don't take this personally, my intention is to get people hopping mad, pissed off and hopefully riled up enough to actually show up and do something.

So to that end, we both may be helping the cause....
You've received lots of good advice and feedback intended to help the cause. You just don't seem to want to hear or follow much of it.

Getting fighting mad is not a strategy. I certainly don't object to recruiting for the cause. Although, showing up is useless, unless by a Florida resident.

You definitely need numbers to be heard, but then you need something clever, not just angry and stubborn, to listen to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #383 of 471 Old 12-30-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
You've received lots of good advice and feedback intended to help the cause. You just don't seem to want to hear or follow much of it.
Unfortunately, I don't really view allowing anchoring restrictions, when there are none currently in place, to be good advice. How should we compromise on this bill? Anchor for only half the night?

I've tried to point out many times, there is an agenda here, why should boaters compromise on this? You will say, that is the way to get things done. I say, I'd rather not make a deal with the devil.

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester

post #384 of 471 Old 12-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyJ View Post
.....I've tried to point out many times, there is an agenda here, why should boaters compromise on this? You will say, that is the way to get things done. I say, I'd rather not make a deal with the devil.
Have it your way. All or nothing. If you end up with nothing (and you could), I think you'll understand.

I bet, however, there are some rational minds behind the scenes that get how this has to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #385 of 471 Old 12-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I bet, however, there are some rational minds behind the scenes that get how this has to work.
Having spent a lot of time as a reporter and watching those behind the scenes in action, I wouldn't bet the farm on rational minds. I would follow the money trail, which is the driving force behind most of the legislation I've covered in the past.

Good luck,

Gary
post #386 of 471 Old 12-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Having spent a lot of time as a reporter and watching those behind the scenes in action, I wouldn't bet the farm on rational minds. I would follow the money trail, which is the driving force behind most of the legislation I've covered in the past....
I meant rational minds on the boaters side, trying to determine a good strategy to get out of this attack alive. To your point, the landlubbers have money, but they also have someone being rational and proposing new ways to get around the law or get the law changed. I'm hoping BoatUS, SSCA, etc, are trying to be as equally clever.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #387 of 471 Old 12-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I understand completely from a cruisers perspective why they'd want to fight rules like this. What I don't understand is why the same cruisers would undoubtedly be appalled and fight it with all means available if random people traveling in RV's decided to frequently overnight on the street right in front of the cruisers land home.

What's the difference exactly? Why are RV's supposed to go to designated RVing areas (and certainly not in front your homes throughout the RV season), while cruisers on boats should be able to park wherever they please? As a non cruiser, I can certainly see the homeowners perspective that they paid a very high premium to live in the area, while cruisers didn't. As a former wannabe cruiser I can definitely see why you'd want to be able to anchor freely, but it makes less sense to me nowadays without viewing it through boaters eyes.

Can anyone explain the difference to me between people randomly parking RV's in front of your home on your street, and cruisers randomly anchoring in front of peoples homes? Isn't it basically the same thing, one being expected as a right, the other obviously being unacceptable as they have designated areas and no one wants a bunch of random RV's in front of their homes all summer/winter?
I believe according to the Laws of the State of Florida, the property owners are limited to the land above the mean high water mark... not beyond... They are using fear tactics to convince the State of Florida that their rights have been violated. We already have laws governing derelict vessels. We already have laws governing discharge of waste.. ..yet they continue to use those as arguing points..

A clear case of the wealthy property owners throwing their political weight around along with their $$.

As I cast off for that very first time,
The "rope" in my hand has now become "line".
And hauling the sails to the top of the mast,
That "rope", now a "halyard" holds strong, taught and fast.
Then sailing in brisk winds full force on a beat.
The sails are trimmed in by that "rope" that's a "sheet".
And now at my anchorage with sails safely stowed,
I trust in that "rope" that now serves as a "rode".
Through all my life I will never lose hope,
Of a reason or time to play with a rope.
post #388 of 471 Old 12-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
I believe according to the Laws of the State of Florida, the property owners are limited to the land above the mean high water mark... not beyond... They are using fear tactics to convince the State of Florida that their rights have been violated. We already have laws governing derelict vessels. We already have laws governing discharge of waste.. ..yet they continue to use those as arguing points..

A clear case of the wealthy property owners throwing their political weight around along with their $$.
This is exactly correct and how just about every law was ever written. The wealthiest folks wrote the Constitution and, indeed, there was opposition. Did you know that's why the Bill of Rights came later? Those provisions had to be negotiated and they wanted to get what they could agree to down on paper. No doubt wealthy yachtsman and sea merchants funded all the laws one would want to use to defend the boater from this assault too.

*****ing about it will not win. One needs to get on the playing board and be just as clever, influential and strategic as they. These "wealthy property owners" are willing to take a few losses (read as... money) to get the big win they want. Boaters will have to take a loss or two as well, in the battle, to win the war.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #389 of 471 Old 12-31-2015

If they get a shoe in the door. They can increase the ban. Bureaucrats pander to the money.
Seeing people say "useless" informs me we've let too many people into the country who don't realize we are essentially run by the people.
They're like someone in Vegas who roots for the house.
Long may we sail free....
Oceans aren't for ownership.
post #390 of 471 Old 12-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodvet View Post
Oceans aren't for ownership.
Exactly the way many felt about the land too. Don't rest on ideals.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in