SAIL Snowbird Rally 2015- Now less for more - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 04-07-2015

Re: SAIL Snowbird Rally 2015- Now less for more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Other critiques of this event aside, 10/24 seems a bit late to depart Hampton......
It's pretty common that insurance policies restrict travel south of the Carolina boarder until Nov 1. Hurricane season. Wonder if that plays a part in timing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
canucksailorguy (02-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 04-07-2015

If there is value to be had for the fee, why not. Many join flotillas, even some races, as much for the parties and camaraderie than for the sailing itself. Many transit the ICW each Fall, even in the sailboats.

It's not my thing, but I'll bet there is value for some that plan to head down the ditch anyway and stay a few marinas along the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If there is value to be had for the fee, why not. Many join flotillas, even some races, as much for the parties and camaraderie than for the sailing itself. Many transit the ICW each Fall, even in the sailboats.

It's not my thing, but I'll bet there is value for some that plan to head down the ditch anyway and stay a few marinas along the way.
Not my sort of thing, either, but in many respects a Rally down the ICW would seem to make more sense, or have to offer, than an offshore rally like the ARC or Caribbean 1500, with the engagement with the other participants taking place throughout, as opposed to just the beginning and end...

Not all that much different from a New York Yacht Club Cruise down east, seems to me... Aside from the comparative lack of BeneHunteLinas among the NYYC crowd, perhaps...

:-)

blowinstink likes this.

post #14 of 22 Old 04-07-2015

The NYYC summer cruise is a sight to be seen. Coincidentally, I ended up anchored among them outside Edgartown Harbor last summer. At night, they light the sky like a city skyline. Literally, several tie their 45ft racing sailboats alongside their 200 ft yachts. Never before had I seen a J44 look like a sailing dinghy.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #15 of 22 Old 04-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Deleted posts that were not only personal attacks but against someone who is not here to defend himself. This is not the place to air grievances.
Why do I always miss all the fun!

Come not here if you have already spent the best of yourself
post #16 of 22 Old 04-07-2015

I agree BL, there should be at least one sailboat leading the rally. It is sponsered by SAIL Magazine, after all.
bljones likes this.
post #17 of 22 Old 02-10-2017
Canuck Sailor

Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Not a nice thing to do to the "founder" and a gentleman. A gift for writing excellent articles and able to do the rally at a lower cost as well, Wally should continue in the leadership position he is perfectly suited for. Sounds like the "squeaky wheel" syndrome playing out here.
Hi Seaduction - only just now saw this comment and I wanted to say thank you for your kind remarks. As you may know, I've launched my own rally, Sail to the Sun ICW Rally. We're now on our third year, it's been very successful and with rave reviews from participants. Details can be had at ICWally.com. Thanks again for your comments.

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

The Following User Says Thank You to canucksailorguy For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (02-10-2017)
post #18 of 22 Old 02-10-2017
Canuck Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Other critiques of this event aside, 10/24 seems a bit late to depart Hampton. For ostensibly being geared toward ICW newbies, one would think an earlier departure would allow more time to beat the crowds and the cold. My personal preference would be to leave 3 to 4 weeks earlier and to make it to the FL-GA line in the first week of November. I suppose the set sail date will be marketed as giving people the opportunity to go to the boat show, although in reality it's probably more about not interfering with the organizers' attendance.
Issues such as insurance and yes, the boat show, keep us from leaving as early as you might. My last two Sail to the Sun ICW Rallies left in mid-October, early enough to avoid most of the cold, late enough to satisfy insurance rules and catch the boat show. It's all worked out very well and we'll be doing it again in the fall of 2017. In fact, before the end of January, the 2017 rally was 20% sold.

post #19 of 22 Old 02-10-2017
Canuck Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
It's already been noted, like, 18 months ago... I'm all over the latest Rally News, you should know that by now... :-)

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/1121994-post289.html

Does kinda suck that Wally might have gotten the shaft on this deal, sounds like he did a nice job with the first one... But, who knows, perhaps he wanted out, once was enough?

There is a certain logic to having powerboat guys run the deal, it is basically a trip on a trawler with a mast, after all...

There's a good pic in the current SAIL from their write-up on the rally, of one of the smaller boats plowing along in Full Conestoga Wagon mode... they had a pair of big teardrop fenders dangling off the bow from what appeared to be the stem fitting, or bow cleats, gotta admit that's the first time I've seen that one...

:-)
Thanks for your kind comments. It has all worked out very well - I used the opportunity to launch the Sail to the Sun ICW Rally and we're now on year 3. The first two rallies were huge successes and the participants all had a great time. In fact, this year, the Rally ended up in the Exumas together, rallying onward. I am so proud of these people! If you or anyone wants to know more, check out ICWally.com for details!

post #20 of 22 Old 02-10-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Wally got up early (or stayed up late) this morning -- or else the famed middle-aged guy trip turned into a flurry of computer time when he couldn't fall back asleep. *grin*
@canucksailorguy - Hope my Crossing the Gulf Stream to your group turned out to be helpful.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in