distance x gulf? - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 05-05-2015 Thread Starter

Cool distance x gulf?

Can anyone who has charts or electronics tell me how far it is from Ft Myers Florida to Brownsville Texas going x gulf not coastal?

Catalina 25 fixed keel in south west Florida.

The mind does not hold the truth but the truth holds the mind.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-05-2015

Re: distance x gulf?

826 NM as the crow flies, not allowing for channel entrance diversions at either end...

Got Google Earth??

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 26 Old 05-05-2015

I show it about 840nm including Ft Meyers to the FL coast and heading into the bay at Brownsville.

Rebuilding The S/V Kompira

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old 05-05-2015

Did you know that you can type questions like that into Google Search directly and normally get an answer in about 10 milliseconds?
capta likes this.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #5 of 26 Old 05-05-2015
They call me EB

Are we settling a bet or planning adventure?
post #6 of 26 Old 05-05-2015 Thread Starter

Thinking try crossing next month and did try google but to much crazy stuff ome up. I have never been on open ocean and thought it was something to do. I am alone and would like to try something crazy. Thanks for the help all.

Catalina 25 fixed keel in south west Florida.

The mind does not hold the truth but the truth holds the mind.
post #7 of 26 Old 05-06-2015

That's a good distance for a first time. And not too far from land if something goes terribly wrong. It not an ocean though. Could be a sea, but they called it a mere gulf. So kinda weak bragging rights. I know nothing of the conditions out there in the gulf...that is something you'll want to ask around about...conditions are more important than distance. A thousand miles in easy conditions is easy compared to 100 in bad.
kidkoolers likes this.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #8 of 26 Old 05-06-2015

While I admire your sense of adventure. You should look carefully at the weather patterns in the gulf for that time of year. The crossing will require 5 to 6 days in open water with no good bailout harbors within a day's sail. Look at the NOAA web sight for historical hurricane patterns in the Gulf of Mexico for June.

Rebuilding The S/V Kompira

post #9 of 26 Old 05-06-2015

Kidkoolers, I'm scratching my head a little. You're contemplating a very long offshore passage next month, but you're current navigation skills or resources are not sufficient to determine the distance?

When you say you've never been in open ocean, but thought it was something to do, I worry you don't know what you don't know.

This is a great place to be pointed in the right direction and many are happy to help. What experience do you have? Assuming you're taking the Catalina 25, that is a marginal boat for bad conditions.
RTB likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-06-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Ditto what Minnewaska said. What might seem like an adventurous lark could turn nasty pretty quickly.
RTB likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in