Knot failures - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 05-25-2015

Re: Knot failures

One of the first things I learned running bigger boats (65 feet) is that if you tie up with "yachty" cleat hitches, and then high winds and waves come in over night, you WILL be using the fire axe to get the lines off again. The last wrap with the hitch should never take any strain. If it does it can jam up and you can't get it off. An extra wrap or two before the hitch will prevent this.
Too small a line on a big cleat will slip off without extra wraps too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 05-25-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgwinks View Post
One of the first things I learned running bigger boats (65 feet) is that if you tie up with "yachty" cleat hitches, and then high winds and waves come in over night, you WILL be using the fire axe to get the lines off again. The last wrap with the hitch should never take any strain. If it does it can jam up and you can't get it off. An extra wrap or two before the hitch will prevent this.
That is interesting too.
So you are saying that in pictures that the correct (ASA by the book) one will jamb so hard at high loads it will have to be cut off.

So where do you take your extra wraps. An extra turn around the base or and extra cross before the tuck or both. What did you find to be the minimum needed to prevent the problem you mentioned.

This implies that if you are tying up a normal 30' to 50' boat in expected storm conditions extra wraps of the type you are going to tell me might save your lines too.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #23 of 25 Old 05-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgwinks View Post
Nonsense, no way a proper cleat hitch will jam. The final hitch can only pull on itself. You coild pinch it up under the horn, if you have too many turns around the base.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 25 Old 05-25-2015
Not Finished Yet

I have no experience with large boats, but Grog would seem to agree with jgwinks on this one.
post #25 of 25 Old 05-25-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

A lot of it depends on the relative sizes of rope and cleat. I can see where a rope that is too big for the cleat will jam up, essentially losing the cleat in the knot. If a rope has to be jammed under the ear of the cleat, turning it into a jam cleat, then it's not surprising that a large diameter rope would be tighter than could be easily loosened by hand. I don't see how a line properly sized for the cleat can bind up if tied right. +1 on NOT taking any extra wrap on the base. If extra wraps are taken, they should be after the standard first hitches.

I don't know how many of you have been to Green Cove Springs, where I keep my boat, but the pier is an old WWII Navy dock with GIGANTIC cleats (I mean like 3' long) that are almost humorous to use with small boats. Talk about having to take extra wraps!

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in