My boat was boarded (and messed with) at anchor! - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 90 Old 06-02-2015

Re: My boat was boarded (and messed with) at anchor!

Whenever something like this happens, I always recall something Bill Bryson wrote : "It's part of God's plan for me to spend a little bit of time with all the most stupid people on the planet". Quite effective as a coping strategy!

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 90 Old 06-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
PS I'm wondering if this particular anchor is cursed. So far I've used it for 4 nights and had 2 people tell me I was dragging, one road rage incident and one guy drag into me. Not a good batting average....
Face it, Med. Your whole boat is cursed. If it makes you feel any better, so is mine and everyone else's.
JimMcGee, MedSailor and zeehag like this.
post #43 of 90 Old 06-02-2015
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

damn! her bludi head woulda been on a stick in my pond... wow..
bubba woulda shredded her and i woulda hung her out on a piling.
i usually anchor in my area first and i use a LOT of chain in a bad holding locale, such as is barra lagoon, even with its shallowness there is lousey holding and i use 150 ft CHAIN in 10-14 ft water, bottomed by silt over hardpan and rocks.
no one anchors near me-- yaaayyyy... and bubba doesnt have to shred anyone in reality.
the only folks anchor too close to me in sw coastal m ex were trawler folks out for 3 months a year in zihuatenejo-- right on toppa me... fun few days being anchored on top of by a self righteous credit card cpt. gotta give that one credit for allowing me 2 boat lengths....
med--you are a true saint.....
tdw likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 90 Old 06-02-2015 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
Med:

Really glad you are starting to enjoy your boat. And, I agree, you are in the right in the situation you described.

Certainly since if you were in 30 feet of water, you were well out of the way in Echo bay.

That being said, people do tend to run short scope here, as many anchorages are pretty deep and a boat would take up a lot of room in a 60 foot deep anchorage with a 10 foot tide. Also, conditions here are pretty benign during the cruising season. (I would comment that at least 30% of the time I've anchored/moored in the area around Sucia, I've been hit by a very localized Southeasterly of 15-25 knots during the morning hours.

I think you will find your life (and those around you) a lot easier once you get some chain in play. I have 60' and it really helps out (even though it's a pain to haul up, since I am windlass-challenged)

Hope this doesn't offend, as I suspect you know this already.
Not offended at all. I've got an 85lb Mantus in my yard waiting for prime time. Currently I have a 66lb bruce and 150ft of 3/8 chain on the boat but the roller setup doesn't allow for easy deployment or retrieval and the windlass is acting a little screwy.

It may still be usable but I'm slowly function testing things in order of safety and importance. Since I DO have a functional anchor, I haven't yet gotten to fixing the issues with the primary.

Soon though....

MedSailor
zeehag likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #45 of 90 Old 06-02-2015

I ran in to the chain/rope issue a couple weeks ago near Seattle. I was there first at 4:1 for high tide on 35 feet of chain and the rest nylon rope. I swing like crazy. I also had a kellet deployed to prevent the rode from wrapping the keel (you're right, it does nothing to prevent us from swinging.)

A larger boat with all chain came an hour or later on all chain. A couple hours after that the current had shifted and we were probably about 20 or 30 feet from them and I'm 99% sure we would have bumped if we continued swinging in their direction. We got in to an argument about them sitting in the same spot and me swinging. They told me I was dragging and should have all chain and it wouldn't be a problem (not really practical on my boat.) It ended in yelling, and then they moved and weren't very happy about it.

So I guess this kind of thing isn't that uncommon around here!
post #46 of 90 Old 06-02-2015

I sail in the PNW and use a 5:1 scope (I have 30' of chain and 200' of rope rode) but I have cut it down to 4:1 in crowded anchorages and light weather forecasts and hope my 30' of chain is enough cantilever to keep good holding. I tell myself it's out of courtesy for the other boats but this seems backwards logic to me because if I drag in the middle of the night and hit someone... I've also had on many occasions been told that 3:1 is typical but I just tell them I have all rope and they go away. Usually it's the people that spin off a bunch of chain straight into a big pile on the bottom and don't bother setting their anchor.

In her defense, in light conditions it's very difficult to known where other boats are on their swinging circle. If you assume everyone's swing radius is 200ft, that means you have to drop anchor 600ft (or 3x the rode length) from every other boat! to have no chance of collision, which in my opinion is impossible to do and is a bit excessive. If you assume everyone will swing roughly same way (which is not always the case in very light wind/current) it comes down to 400ft (or 2x the rode length). However, in heavier conditions where everyone swings predictably with wind/current shifts you could get away with <200ft (<1 x the rode length). These are the rules of thumb that I use anyway.

So given the light conditions, it's no wonder she anchored within your swinging circle. But she shouldn't have assumed that you were dragging (especially given the conditions) and definitely shouldn't have boarded and adjusted your scope as you were there first. And once she realized you were firmly anchored she should have put your rode back out and kindly moved along.

However, if it was me and if she were there first or if my boat was in actual danger (and not just from hitting a later boat) then I believe her actions are justifiable. So just a case of misplaced help and/or not understanding the decorum. And nothing she did put you or your boat in immediate danger at the time, but telling you she changed something is the key and definitely the only correct course of action and must be applauded.

So I don't think anything she did is a rageable offence and calmly and politely discussing the situation as you did was the best thing.
post #47 of 90 Old 06-02-2015 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
In crowded anchorages, I like to run an anchor alarm that keeps a persistence line, showing everywhere I've been swinging. This way, I can take a screen shot to prove I wasn't dragging, if necessary. I do this because, if you're not aboard and someone claims you are dragging, your boat is automatically a salvage. We have some that will record the broadcast to prove they had rights and you'll never be able to prove your anchor was actually set.
Just when I was starting to sleep soundly, you bring this up. Scary.

What's the program you use? This may be something I will do if I continue to use rope in deep places. The folks around here just aren't used to it.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #48 of 90 Old 06-02-2015

Pulled into anagada. Was buddy boating with a mid fifties Hylas. Blowing high twenties with significant chop coming in from southeast. Both of us on all chain with rochnas on the end Let out 150' in 10-12' of water. Sand bottom. Set double snubbers to take shock loads. Boats side by side 170' apart.
Charter cat comes initially looking to anchor between us. Sees us both heading to our dinghies so anchors downwind of us on 5:1 or so. Middle of night wake up to screams and curses. He had dragged onto the reef in front of the hotel. By the morning in the absence of him setting a sledge anchor or making any meaningful attempt to lessen the damage he had worked all the way onto the reef. Heart breaking to watch them put flotation bags under the boat and pull it off. Was told later boat was a total lost. Keels driven into canoe bodies.
Same guy did a U turn in the channel as he lost his dinghy and talked over us on the vhf when we were ordering lobster. Same guy waved off fellow cruisers who came over to help when he first dragged.
You can't fix stupid. Rudeness does not permit learning.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 06-02-2015 at 03:30 PM.
post #49 of 90 Old 06-02-2015

I use "anchor" and "anchor watch". Find leaving the raymarine on to have watch on uses more juice. Also both run on the IPhone and IPad.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (06-02-2015)
post #50 of 90 Old 06-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitApe View Post
Miss "Good Samaritan" obviously has no idea about the sort of liability can-o-worms she could have opened up. Sooner or later this know-it-all gal is going to mess with someones boat and break something, or manage to set the boat adrift, or whatever. THEN she'll learn her lesson.
It's not just liability. Another sailor may not have Med's self control.

Med kudos on keeping your cool, after all you've been through I'd buy some lottery tickets. When your luck turns you're due for a BIG upswing.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in