My boat was boarded (and messed with) at anchor! - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 90 Old 06-02-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: My boat was boarded (and messed with) at anchor!

Med-
You know that old quote about all that is necessary for evil to win, is for people to ignore it? (Yeah, I know, I'm mangling that.)
Well, you are now responsible for every starving crab and bottom-feeder in that anchorage, as well as any other harm that [sexist expletive deleted] does to anyone else, for life.

Onceuponatime...we were anchored, by permission of and with PAYMENT to the bottom owners, inside the bulkhead line in private waters off lower Manhattan, for the July 4th fireworks show. Anything inside the bulkhead line is PRIVATE bottomland, mariners can transit but not anchor without permission.

So needless to say, shortly before sunset some yahoos in a beer boat drop anchor literally right in top of ours. (And it isn't an easy anchorage, the bottom is a steep slope with plenty of foul bottom further in.) We told 'em nicely, this is a sailboat, it swings, this is a private anchorage, you're not allowed to be here, and you're creating a danger to both our boats by fouling our anchor. We're going to swing with the current, stand clear.
A waste of polite words on beer boaters.

So maybe 1/2 hour later, four Coasties in an outboard come by, checking out obvious problems, and guess where we sent them? Yup. Beerboat gone, all bye-bye.

The fireworks were wonderful btw.

I have absolutely no problem with asking nicely, ONCE, and then finding the biggest stick I can. Being kind to *oles only makes more of them, it really needs to be discouraged.

Of course, mounting Claymores below the rub rail tends to upset the uniforms these days...damfino why.
kentobin and troy2000 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 90 Old 06-02-2015

Maybe you should have been flying a pirate flag?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #53 of 90 Old 06-02-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Not offended at all. I've got an 85lb Mantus in my yard waiting for prime time. Currently I have a 66lb bruce and 150ft of 3/8 chain on the boat but the roller setup doesn't allow for easy deployment or retrieval and the windlass is acting a little screwy.

It may still be usable but I'm slowly function testing things in order of safety and importance. Since I DO have a functional anchor, I haven't yet gotten to fixing the issues with the primary.

Soon though....

MedSailor
Oh well at least it wasn't a Rocna.

Ours btw is a Bruce. I was going to change it for a Rocna but am pretty happy with the thing so havn't done so.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.

post #54 of 90 Old 06-02-2015

Cool.. Andrew started talking about anchors!!!

I would say that the 15kg Bruce that I have has worked pretty well in the PNW..

Always set the first time, except in the East cove on Matia.. A lot of kelp down there.

Of course, I am a very patient anchorer... Probably because I don't have a windlass..

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #55 of 90 Old 06-02-2015

Oh.. and Andrew, thanks for sending the summer back.. Appreciate it.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #56 of 90 Old 06-02-2015 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Maybe you should have been flying a pirate flag?
Or electrified lifelines.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #57 of 90 Old 06-02-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
It's not just liability. Another sailor may not have Med's self control.

Med kudos on keeping your cool, after all you've been through I'd buy some lottery tickets. When your luck turns you're due for a BIG upswing.
Maybe we need some of Meds meds.
Faster, JimMcGee and MedSailor like this.

― Terry Pratchett.
post #58 of 90 Old 06-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Onceuponatime...we were anchored, by permission of and with PAYMENT to the bottom owners, inside the bulkhead line in private waters off lower Manhattan, for the July 4th fireworks show. Anything inside the bulkhead line is PRIVATE bottomland, mariners can transit but not anchor without permission.

As I understand it, all of the waters of the continental US where the water ebbs and flows is PUBLIC under federal rules and is held in trust by the states, who may make rules--or delegate rule making to public entities, like cities or towns-- for its use. So you may have paid for the use of someone's mooring, but there are no PRIVATE bottom owners because there is no PRIVATE bottomland. Here in CT anchoring rules are established by local authority consistent with state guidelines, with supervision of anchoring the responsibility of a publicly appointed harbormaster--not a private "bottom owner" and not the USCG, unless there is a navigational or safety issue (e.g., drugs/alcohol, reckless operation) within their police powers.
post #59 of 90 Old 06-02-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
Oh.. and Andrew, thanks for sending the summer back.. Appreciate it.
Didn't send it back, you lot came and stole it. Like thieves in the night.

― Terry Pratchett.
post #60 of 90 Old 06-02-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

fallard-
That's not open for debate or discussion. In NYS there is a long standing and accepted body of law concerning BOTTOM owners of submerged land. Ships engaged in navigation can PASS OVER that bottom. They can navigate IN THE WATER, but the bottom itself is often privately owned and anchoring on it is trespassing, plain and simple and (when so owned)accepted by every court in the state.
The only question is whether a particular party holds title to a particular piece of land. And on the shores of Manhattan? The land in between the piers is normally all privately owned. You will see a "bulkhead line" demarked on all harbor charts. Everything landward of the bulkhead line, is privately owned.
I don't recall if the Coast Pilot indicates this, but the bulkhead line is VERY clearly marked, and any boater in NYS should be very much aware that bottomlands will often be private property, no anchoring allowed. Some of those land titles date back to Crown Patents (i.e. from the 1600's) while others were actually SOLD by the federal government during WW2 as part of the effort to raise money for liberty bonds, etc.
You don't get much better at having a legal title, than having bought it directly from the federal government. Or having a royal patent, which carries slightly more weight.

Point is, the beer guys dropped an anchor ON OUR ANCHOR and UNACCEPTABLY CLOSE endangering us all. Even on public property and stone cold sober, that would be reason to have the Coasties visit them and write up every violation that could be found. Belligerent stupidity doesn't belong on the water.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in