89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 99 Old 08-05-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Re: Labrador...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Is that a Dashew? You'll be able to buy 2 or 3.

Seriously, there HAVE to be performance/stability issues at play here that outweigh other factors (like chafe, etc.). I honestly understand what you're saying. Our main rides on our spreaders and shrouds even on a broad reach - much less running. But I understand the B&R rig to be about stability and strength...which I think is great as well.

So, the details of this kind of stuff is above my head...but it's obviously taking hold in very, very "bluewater" boats.
I guess this is straying somewhat but the swept back spreaders are there to obviate the need for runners where you have an inner forestay. Maybe not always but generally speaking I thought that was the case. Oh yes, also on boats like the later Hunters that don't have a backstay.

We have moderately swept back spreaders and even then they are something of a pain when running though our preventer seems to keep us out of trouble.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 08-05-2015
Banned

Ah, the Boreal. Thanks.

And thanks for the clarification on one of the benefits of the swept-back spreaders. Yeah, I think the backstays went away in 91 or 92 on the Hunters. Of course, the absence of a backstay is just as bad as the swept-back spreaders for most trads.

I'm very, very happy not to have to mess with runners. But this is about a "BFS In Labrador" - not how awesome Hunters are.
post #93 of 99 Old 08-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
a great write up jon ! i really enjoyed looking at the pictures. it brought back memories. i was up in that area in 1985. we left duluth,mn on lake superior in june on the sheila yeates . topsail ketch with two yards 50 ft on deck & about 64 ft overall. we went down the lakes & on to newfoundland . we had to head ne from st. anthony because the ice pack extended about 150 miles off labrador. we stopped at ports along the west coast of greenland as far 71degrees north. then south & through prince christian sound & around cape farewell. then south to newfoundland & the us east coast to annapolis, md. if you are ever in lake superior , stop & see me in duluth. i only sail lake superior now on my 30 ft nimble express , since i was 93 on the 4th of july.
Hey Captbillc
WOW is all I can say!!! Absolutely wonderful that you are still sailing at 93. Hope I am able to do anything at that age--never mind keep sailing. I am just getting started and have been telling myself "maybe I will be too old to do much of a passage by the time I become a real sailor." You are an inspiration!

post #94 of 99 Old 08-05-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
a great write up jon ! i really enjoyed looking at the pictures. it brought back memories. i was up in that area in 1985. we left duluth,mn on lake superior in june on the sheila yeates . topsail ketch with two yards 50 ft on deck & about 64 ft overall. we went down the lakes & on to newfoundland . we had to head ne from st. anthony because the ice pack extended about 150 miles off labrador. we stopped at ports along the west coast of greenland as far 71degrees north. then south & through prince christian sound & around cape farewell. then south to newfoundland & the us east coast to annapolis, md. if you are ever in lake superior , stop & see me in duluth. i only sail lake superior now on my 30 ft nimble express , since i was 93 on the 4th of july.
Cap - all I can say is I want to be you when I grow up. BFS doesn't even do you justice.
post #95 of 99 Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Cap - all I can say is I want to be you when I grow up. BFS doesn't even do you justice.
Absolutely...

Not to mention, there's sailing @ 93, and then there's Sailing on Lake Freakin' SUPERIOR @ 93... Hell, if I ever make it that long, my time on the water will likely be on puny Barnegat Bay, where the water depth is never over my head... ;-)

I dunno, "Born on the Fourth of July" seems especially appropriate in bill's case, no?

;-)
smackdaddy likes this.
post #96 of 99 Old 02-06-2017

Wow! What a great read. Hoping to head that way and on into Europe via the Labrador in about 2-3 years. Making me more excited for this! Definitely plan on getting up that way by late June-Early July to enjoy as much of the labrador and decent weather as possible. Thank you for the excellent photos!
post #97 of 99 Old 02-06-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedLang View Post
Wow! What a great read. Hoping to head that way and on into Europe via the Labrador in about 2-3 years. Making me more excited for this! Definitely plan on getting up that way by late June-Early July to enjoy as much of the labrador and decent weather as possible. Thank you for the excellent photos!
Thank you for reviving this thread. Sadly Jon passed away on Christmas Day a little over a year ago. He was a super person by any measure. He was a good friend who is sorely missed.

Jeff
nolatom, UPHILL and aeventyr60 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #98 of 99 Old 02-07-2017

It has been fantastic reading this... and fantastic thinking he was 93... and so sad is not anymore here... buon vento ovunque tu sia...

Inviato dal mio ASUS_X013D utilizzando Tapatalk
post #99 of 99 Old 02-08-2017
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

I had not seen this post before either. What amazing pictures and adventure. Though I had heard of Jon's passing, he continues to impress!

Welcome to SN, EnchantedLang

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in