Labrador... - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 99 Old 08-02-2015
Banned

Re: Labrador...

Is that a Dashew? You'll be able to buy 2 or 3.

Seriously, there HAVE to be performance/stability issues at play here that outweigh other factors (like chafe, etc.). I honestly understand what you're saying. Our main rides on our spreaders and shrouds even on a broad reach - much less running. But I understand the B&R rig to be about stability and strength...which I think is great as well.

So, the details of this kind of stuff is above my head...but it's obviously taking hold in very, very "bluewater" boats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 99 Old 08-03-2015
ancient mariner

a great write up jon ! i really enjoyed looking at the pictures. it brought back memories. i was up in that area in 1985. we left duluth,mn on lake superior in june on the sheila yeates . topsail ketch with two yards 50 ft on deck & about 64 ft overall. we went down the lakes & on to newfoundland . we had to head ne from st. anthony because the ice pack extended about 150 miles off labrador. we stopped at ports along the west coast of greenland as far 71degrees north. then south & through prince christian sound & around cape farewell. then south to newfoundland & the us east coast to annapolis, md. if you are ever in lake superior , stop & see me in duluth. i only sail lake superior now on my 30 ft nimble express , since i was 93 on the 4th of july.
smackdaddy, SOVT and seaner97 like this.

Liberals are people who care about others. Freethinkers are not constrained by the myths of religion.
The Following User Says Thank You to captbillc For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (08-05-2015)
post #83 of 99 Old 08-03-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Ok, now THAT's a BFS. And any sail you do is one that inspires me. I hope I'm still sailing at 93!
And, Smack- THAT is understated.

Last edited by seaner97; 08-03-2015 at 06:10 AM.

post #84 of 99 Old 08-03-2015

"Otherwise, an uneventful and pretty quick passage in a boat with only 25' on the waterline, the 500 NM to St Peter's covered in 4 days, with only a couple of hours of engine run time when the breeze died the last night approaching Cape Canso..."

I could swear your boat looks much larger than that. Did you mean to say 35' on the waterline?
I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing it with us.
post #85 of 99 Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteuz View Post
"Otherwise, an uneventful and pretty quick passage in a boat with only 25' on the waterline, the 500 NM to St Peter's covered in 4 days, with only a couple of hours of engine run time when the breeze died the last night approaching Cape Canso..."

I could swear your boat looks much larger than that. Did you mean to say 35' on the waterline?
Nope, you read it right, she's just 30' LOA...

A veritable 'Micro-Cruiser', by the standards of today...

;-)

post #86 of 99 Old 08-05-2015
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Is that a Dashew? You'll be able to buy 2 or 3.
It's a Boreal.

Jean-François is MR Boreal and MR BFS.

He built a boat in his garden and sailed it around the world with Mrs François and the 4 kids. (Apparently he hadn't read all the CF Rebel Heart threads. Actually given how unconventional his boat was it seems he missed several of the you must expert threads. Tut Tut).

When he came back back (being French )he of course decided most other cruising boats he had seen were ****e and that( being French ) he could probably design and build the best one in the world.

Turns out he may of been right.

Of interest to me, is that while it has a reputation as an expedition yacht he actually envisaged it firstly as just a family cruising yacht.

The brochure happily exclaims ‘a desk in every cabin where bluewater children can do their homework’. Try finding that in a Hunter or even an Island Packet.

Boy do I love the French. I think we have a bottle of champagne in fridge somewhere....BRB.
MedSailor and smackdaddy like this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 08-05-2015 at 05:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chall03 For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (08-05-2015)
post #87 of 99 Old 08-05-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I don't know how I missed this thread - but...

Oh hell yeah!!

Now, Jon, apparently a couple of SNers were a little miffed that I hadn't thrown you the coveted BFS bone - even though I hadn't seen the thread. First off, if I know you, that's not something you exactly lose sleep over. Second, your "limits" are quite a bit beyond virtually every one else's on this forum due to your experience.

So, though you don't care about it, I certainly don't want to offend others' sense of "Big Freakin' Justice".

All that said - this is my favorite...

Very worthy of the coveted stamp.

Well there should be an " applause" thingy. Onya Smack.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #88 of 99 Old 08-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Well there should be an " applause" thingy...

...and done
chall03 likes this.

For purposes of understanding threads I post in, the following persons are ignored: chrisncate, jzk
post #89 of 99 Old 08-05-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Ah ... yes .... but I did mean more one of those emoticon thingy's rather than a gif but hey .... thanks anyway.

btw ... Smack ... I was in no way miffed, just thought Jon deserved it. Now he has it. All's right with the world.
smackdaddy likes this.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #90 of 99 Old 08-05-2015

Ah yes, it would be nice if SailNet could add one like this () or this () to the options.

For purposes of understanding threads I post in, the following persons are ignored: chrisncate, jzk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in