Trouble in Rockland, ME - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 06-21-2015

Re: Trouble in Rockland, ME

Capta,

(just reread my post. Comes off as belligerent. Sorry. Meant to be a friendly berating. Add a grain of salt, sea salt)

Are you nuts? Maine is premier sailing territory. We don't have the BVI bar-on-every-beach nightlife, I'll give you that. But we have thousands of coves and harbors where you drop the hook, crack a bottle of Merlot and enjoy the company of your sweetheart or friends amid the gurgle of slapping waves, the cry of gulls, the screech of osprey fishing along shore. If pulling up and going to a restaurant or a bar is your thing, we have some of that too but most of Maine is real Maine. Fishermen, lobstermen, plying the water at sun up. Schooners taking passengers on that dream excursion to Pulpit Harbor. Ferries taking people to work on the mainland or to the islands. Most of Maine is real life, real people going about their lives, not tourist stops trying to slide a couple extra American Dollars from your wallet. Along the coast you'll find McMansions. Massive mansions and 10000 SF homes owned by out-of-staters often occupied for a fraction of the year. These swelled the tax base so all the hardworking Mainers had to sell (or lose) their properties and move inland. So, don't look at those. Instead, try Seguin Is, Damariscove Is, Harbor Island, Round Cove, Burnt Cove, SW Harbor, NE Harbor, Perry's Creek, Stover Cove, Wills Gut, Hell's Half Acre, The Basin, Bucks Harbor. To name a very few of the places I have gone to and nothing Downeast.

And RI isn't in Maine. It's nothing like Maine. And as far as we can see, they own a fair share of the McMansions.

Don

Family's been in Maine since 1634.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Thanks.
We've been considering doing the Maine coast, but after my experience in LI Sound and regions, I'm very trepidations about it. I found few anchorages and really no seeming interest in accommodating visiting sailors. Lovely harbors on the chart were filled to overflowing with residential moorings with no visitor moorings or spots to anchor. In the places where there was room to anchor, it was in the worst part of the harbor, with vile currents and/or foul bottoms.
The dinghy dock in Bristol RI for instance, had a half hour maximum stay under penalty of a stiff fine. Hell, one can't even get to the supermarket and back in a half hour, let alone do some provisioning. Let's rush on through lunch or dinner in less than a half hour, because that makes for a pleasant meal ashore, right?
I've got about 8 grand wrapped up in my ground tackle/windlass and I know it is secure. Some mooring???????????????? No thanks, not even for free.
capta likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DonScribner For This Useful Post:
capta (06-21-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 06-21-2015

@capta , going to Maine will get you away from the overcrowding you have written about. Yes, some places in Maine are full and if you want to visit them you will have to take a rental mooring but you will find most places you can anchor and dinghy in to a lobster float or town landing to get on shore.
capta likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhwelch For This Useful Post:
capta (06-21-2015)
post #23 of 30 Old 06-21-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Then sell the rights to the harbor? I'm fine with that too. There is nothing about managing moorings or dockage that isn't done by the private sector every single day. You've made a good point. The government should stick to security, road and bridges. Privatize the harbor.

You've got to be kidding. At least in real life. You're point is theoretically accurate. In practice, bidding laws are outrageously manipulated.

Best service at the lowest price is a bad thing? We just see that completely differently. There is no accountability for service levels in government agencies and price doesn't matter. They don't have to earn the right to spend tax dollars, they just have to convince a way and mean committee to give it to them.

I'm not anti-government. I'm opposed the complete lack of accountability for results.
I agree. Government does not belong in the direct operation of anything a private enterprise can accomplish. Being that the issue of bottom rights is really a federal issue, affecting waterways under USCG rules, it is the US government that should dictate general rules for percentage of bottom rights that locals can deem off limits to vessels not paying the sometimes outrageous fief. Paid anchorages should be operated on limited percentages of available room by private companies, possibly with government aid. Taking up ALL the safe anchoring area in a harbor is a safety issue because it forces those without deep pockets to anchor in spots that are always less safe. Well run private/municipal anchorages can be accomplished such as the ones in Florida.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

post #24 of 30 Old 06-21-2015
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Capta,

(just reread my post. Comes off as belligerent. Sorry. Meant to be a friendly berating. Add a grain of salt, sea salt)

Are you nuts? Maine is premier sailing territory. We don't have the BVI bar-on-every-beach nightlife, I'll give you that. But we have thousands of coves and harbors where you drop the hook, crack a bottle of Merlot and enjoy the company of your sweetheart or friends amid the gurgle of slapping waves, the cry of gulls, the screech of osprey fishing along shore. If pulling up and going to a restaurant or a bar is your thing, we have some of that too but most of Maine is real Maine. Fishermen, lobstermen, plying the water at sun up. Schooners taking passengers on that dream excursion to Pulpit Harbor. Ferries taking people to work on the mainland or to the islands. Most of Maine is real life, real people going about their lives, not tourist stops trying to slide a couple extra American Dollars from your wallet. Along the coast you'll find McMansions. Massive mansions and 10000 SF homes owned by out-of-staters often occupied for a fraction of the year. These swelled the tax base so all the hardworking Mainers had to sell (or lose) their properties and move inland. So, don't look at those. Instead, try Seguin Is, Damariscove Is, Harbor Island, Round Cove, Burnt Cove, SW Harbor, NE Harbor, Perry's Creek, Stover Cove, Wills Gut, Hell's Half Acre, The Basin, Bucks Harbor. To name a very few of the places I have gone to and nothing Downeast.
And RI isn't in Maine. It's nothing like Maine. And as far as we can see, they own a fair share of the McMansions.
Don
Family's been in Maine since 1634.
Thanks for taking the time to set me straight, I do appreciate it.
The thought of once again needing tide tables and accurate charts does make me wonder if all this clear water, tropical sailing has made me too laid back and easy going for Maine sailing. But a zip around places like Penobscot Bay on the internet, definitely draws me in, as much as any Caribbean pirate treasure could.
So we probably should bite the bullet one summer and make the trek. Our thinking is to be in Bermuda for the America's Cup races, so it will probably be that summer.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #25 of 30 Old 06-21-2015
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Thanks for taking the time to set me straight, I do appreciate it.
The thought of once again needing tide tables and accurate charts does make me wonder if all this clear water, tropical sailing has made me too laid back and easy going for Maine sailing. But a zip around places like Penobscot Bay on the internet, definitely draws me in, as much as any Caribbean pirate treasure could.
So we probably should bite the bullet one summer and make the trek. Our thinking is to be in Bermuda for the America's Cup races, so it will probably be that summer.
The water is gorgeous, Penobscot Bay is huge and often breathtaking. And just thinking about it makes me yearn for a fresh Local haddock sandwich from Rockport ( or others). The people are refreshing sometimes pleasantly dour. I think the expression is "God's Country" I regret discovering the area so late in life it has a similar rugged majesty as Brittany. Both could take a lifetime to know well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
smurphny and TomMaine like this.
post #26 of 30 Old 06-23-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

It is one of my goals to sail my Pearson 30 to Maine. Hopefully within the next 3 years.
Looking at the charts gives me the heebie-jeebies, though. Everything is hard and pointy, a navigational error will put a big hole in your boat.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #27 of 30 Old 06-23-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
It is one of my goals to sail my Pearson 30 to Maine. Hopefully within the next 3 years.
Looking at the charts gives me the heebie-jeebies, though. Everything is hard and pointy, a navigational error will put a big hole in your boat.
Only if you hit something?
In all seriousness I've found that using paper charts and an old fashioned depth sounder limits the tendency for this as you've got your eyes up and the sounder will alarm if you set it right.
And you're not relying on a gps that may be wrong.
Others use both for safety. But I've seen a tendency toward screen mesmerizing with the new plotters.
post #28 of 30 Old 06-23-2015

Sometimes it is the thing you do not worry about that gets you into trouble. It's easy enough to keep away from rocks -- most are visible or the route past them well marked, plus the presence of lobster buoys will show you where the water is (usually) deep enough to go.

It might be those lobster buoys that get you into trouble, especially the ones in areas which use toggles, so the buoy and its line hangs back along the surface for 10+ feet from the toggle that floats the potwarp. If you are around, say, Stonington, where the current sets you sideways onto them you have to be extra vigilant to avoid trouble.
post #29 of 30 Old 06-23-2015
bell ringer

On a night up to Maine I've never hit any rocks, but I've run over LOTS of lobster pots! Since for the most part if you told me me the coordinates of those pots I bet I couldn't find them at night, but easily manage to run over them in the dark.

Which leads me to believe that there is some weird magnetic attraction between fiberglass and lobster buoys. It is MUCH easier to avoid the hard pointy rock thingies in Maine than the lobster pots!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 30 Old 06-23-2015

This is troubling to hear. Rockland is to us Mid-Coast Mainers what Portland is to Southern Maine.

I've always like Rockland because it is still a working harbor and not quite as polished as some of it's surrounding neighbours. A lunch at Water Works is always a treat as well getting some goodies from the Atlantic Bakery.

Anchoring out is never a problem and the town dock has always been welcoming.
TomMaine likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in