Anyone buy laminate sails from China Sails? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hellosailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-18-2015 Thread Starter

Question Anyone buy laminate sails from China Sails?

Starting to look for a new main. Got a great price quote on a laminate sail, but know nothing about the quality of the laminate sails they make.
Anyone have any experience?

Atlantis
Hylas 44
Annapolis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-18-2015

Re: Anyone buy laminate sails from China Sails?

The last sail I got was from the North loft last year. It was Series 300 Soft Norlam Mylar, a paneled laminate sail. I was surprised to find it was made offshore. I forget if it was China or some other Pacific Rim country, but it was from Asia. All the big shops screw up on occasion. I think the biggest issue is whether there is a local loft to fix the errors. If there were adjustments needed on my Asian sourced North sail at least there was the local North loft around to correct things.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-18-2015
Master Mariner

We have UK Sails tape drive sails (made in the USA), and though I love the cut, the actual material is not what I would consider a cloth that has any longevity.
If you are racing, and can afford to replace your sails every season or two, then go for it. But if you are not a full on racer with deep pockets, then I would think twice before going for laminated sails.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 9 Old 06-19-2015

There are all kinds of laminate sails available today - from the high-end 3DL molded racing sails from North to paneled cruising/club racing sails made with laminate cloth that looks a lot like woven cloth. You really have to decide how you are going to use the boat and then select a sail that meets those needs. A well made crosscut sail made with a high quality woven Dacron cloth is still a good choice for those that don't race and provides decent performance and long life. But some of the newer laminate cloths look like they will give better performance and very good life at not much of a price increase over woven cloth.

So what kind of laminate did you get a quote on?
post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2015 Thread Starter

The "cloth" is Club Race MXL, Gold Kevlar, Black Twaron, Mylar outer skins. Not cutting edge stuff, but it will certainly hold its shape longer than dacron.

Atlantis
Hylas 44
Annapolis
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

If that is a new loft with unknown owners, unknown managers, and production in China? I'd be scared. Laminates don't always hold together (in sails or anything else) and it is too easy for a supplier to cheat on the glue, or someone inexperienced to mess up the lamination (time, temperature). I don't know that shipping a sail back to "southern China" for a remake would be convenient, and despite two (!) Chinese restaurants in Massachusetts somehow also being called "China Sails"...

I think the loft calls itself "China Sails Factory" fwiw.

The question being who stands behind the company, and are they really cheap enough to make an unknown worthwhile? (And of course, can you put it on a credit card to add their warranty protections.)

WRT product quality and materials? Ask the Gore-Tex people how much "genuine Gore-Tex" clothing, made in China and sold on eBay, has been counterfeit. Mostly all of it, because it is too easy to mislabel cloth. I'd have major reservations, unless the new owners included Mother Teresa. [sic]
RichH likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2015

China Sail Factory is a major production loft in China that makes sails for a lot of the lofts in the US. My friend has had a new main twaron MXL for his J-29. Local loft spec'd it and ordered it from CSF. Sail was nice but had lamination problem that showed up at end of 1st season. CSF made good with a new sail next season as a replacement. He is happy with sail after a couple of seasons.
https://www.hisse-et-oh.com/system/a...pdf?1351456028

FWIW, Island Planet sails uses CSF for their laminate sales. Twaron is essentially Kevlar. Get the black twaron as it has better UV resistance.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-20-2015 Thread Starter

Sandusky, thanks for the info and link.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-20-2015

Interesting link Sandusky. Looks like they are using their own cloth. I note the comparisons being made to Challenge and Bainbridge. I would feel more comfortable if they were using name brand cloth rather than Chinese, but it looks they have done their homework.

Tags
china sails , laminate

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in