Leather Disgrace - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 06-19-2015 Thread Starter
Over Hill Sailing Club

Re: Leather Disgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I bought a pair of these in black for PNW sailing in fall. I was thinking the touch screen interface would be handy for the plotter. The goat leather palms were soft, grippy and strong. I was happy with them until I found black hand prints all over the deck and cabin. What a pain.
I just use callouses for gloves now. Wooden tillers are a lot more comfortable than stainless wheels.

goat

Men's Sensor Gloves? - Gloves - Men's | Outdoor Research | Designed By Adventure | Outdoor Clothing & Gear
Wow, that really stinks. Outdoor Research has a good reputation for quality products so it's surprising. Their main market is among hikers so they probably never considered a white fiberglass surface:-)

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 06-19-2015
HANUMAN

I purchased a pair of "helmsman" gloves from WM, I don't recall the actual brand but it was on of the big ones (not WM), for Autumn sailing. The leather fingers actually disintegrated in less than a season. And when I say season, I mean a couple of months. It was laughable. I was gonna take them back but instead just cut the leather fingers off at the knuckle (the glove's, not mine) and used them as regular old sailing gloves for a couple more years before I lost one. Stupid.

As with anything 'marine grade' = marine price = good luck with the quality.
zeehag likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #33 of 39 Old 06-20-2015

My Ronstans have been the best wearing pair of sailing gloves I've ever had. WM and Harkens didn't last a season.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

post #34 of 39 Old 06-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeilfanaat View Post
Weren't some WM branded sailing gloves recalled a couple of years ago, because the materials used might cause skin irritation?

I've switched to Ronstan sailing gloves for the past couple of seasons for spinnaker trimming and am very happy with those--good fit and very grippy.
I believe the problem was that the leather had not been properly washed of some corrosive chemicals used in the tanning process.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #35 of 39 Old 06-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
The last time I was in a WM, maybe two months ago, and used my card, they mentioned I had a "rewards" credit that I could use but I have never received coupons or anything although I think they emailed me a while back saying that I needed to use or lose my "points." It went to the trash folder:-) I hate the games companies play to try to get you to buy more stuff.
Yea, I get it. However, I receive the $10 coupons at home and I stack them up waiting for the inevitable next WM purchase. They don't encourage me to buy, I just will be anyway, so it's free money. Sort of.

In fact, this past Fall, I was poking around the clearance section of the website and found a light jacket, tee-shirt and summer short sleeve, all discounted heavily. WM happened to be running free shipping and this combo just exceeded that threshold. I applied my old coupons and bought the lot, delivered to my door, for $2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #36 of 39 Old 06-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I believe the problem was that the leather had not been properly washed of some corrosive chemicals used in the tanning process.
They are synthetic leather.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #37 of 39 Old 06-20-2015
I can't re Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
They are synthetic leather.
....from one of these....

goat
post #38 of 39 Old 06-20-2015 Thread Starter
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Yea, I get it. However, I receive the $10 coupons at home and I stack them up waiting for the inevitable next WM purchase. They don't encourage me to buy, I just will be anyway, so it's free money. Sort of.

In fact, this past Fall, I was poking around the clearance section of the website and found a light jacket, tee-shirt and summer short sleeve, all discounted heavily. WM happened to be running free shipping and this combo just exceeded that threshold. I applied my old coupons and bought the lot, delivered to my door, for $2.
I found it's also a good idea to check for pieces of sheet or halyard line on the WM leftover/end piece rack. I got an 85' piece of 10mm Salsa for my mainsheet for around .60 a foot that way a couple of years ago. WM does have some good deals and I appreciate that the stores are almost always within a bike ride of ports. I also like their ship-to-store for free policy which is great for heavy stuff and pyrotechnics which are expensive to ship. It's just their own brands that seem to be questionable quality.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #39 of 39 Old 06-21-2015
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i use gill for sailing and home depot for hauling anchor.
works.
gill is often on sale at non west marine locations.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in