Oriental to Ocracoke - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 07-01-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Re: Oriental to Ocracoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
It goes without saying, the beach on Ocracoke is as beautiful as anywhere on the east coast...

Just heard, however, there has been yet another shark attack in NC today - this one on Ocracoke Island...
Yep third one in a week at the outer banks. I think I'll probably still wonder in but not to far.

WBTV : 68-year-old man bitten, pulled underwater by shark along NC coast

Edit. The nudist on the Ocracoke beaches might want to think twice before taking a swim. Could be some bad results.

oursailingadventures.com

Last edited by nccouple; 07-01-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 07-02-2015

I sincerely believe that one of the biggest reasons behind the recent shark attacks is commercial exploitation of Atlantic menhaden, a forage species that is the prime food source for just about every predator species on the east and Gulf coasts. When large predators run out of their primary food source, then tend to migrate close to shore to find other opportunistic species such as croaker, weakfish, striped bass, spotted sea trout, flounder, etc..., species that frequent the shallows and surf where they forage for species smaller than themselves. The sharks then move in to feed, especially during high tide, and hit just about anything that moves. A person frolicking in the surf looks a lot like an injured harbor seal, especially if they happen to be on a surf board. Big sharks love to eat harbor seals! A big hammerhead was sighted in the surf at Ocean City, Maryland this past week. Hammerheads are pelagics, and rarely venture closer than 20 miles from shore. But, when there is nothing out there to eat, they will migrate to any locations that tends to provide them with a meal.

All the best,

Gary
post #13 of 27 Old 07-03-2015

Dock

Sailed out to Ocracoke today (Friday). Interesting sail. Started out with no wind and nearly flat water. NOAA weather kept calling for 10 to 20 knot winds and a good chance of thunderstorms. Motored and drifted earlier in the day. Later in the day wind started building. Had a solid 20 knots for about half of the Pamlico Sound. Sailed down the channel, Big Foot slough, to Ocracoke on the main only, with second reef, winds were 25 to 30. Quite a ride. Much different than this morning. Got dock space at the Park Service dock for the night. Supposed to be blowing 30 to 35 knots tonight. Kind of glad to not be anchoring. Not sure where or when I am heading tomorrow. Happy fourth.

Paul
1984 Catalina 36 Tall Rig

post #14 of 27 Old 07-04-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

We're sitting in Oriental. Stuck in the mud at the docks for the moment. SW wide has got the water blown right out of the river. Heading out in the morning for Ocracoke.
post #15 of 27 Old 07-05-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar54 View Post
Sailed out to Ocracoke today (Friday). Interesting sail. Started out with no wind and nearly flat water. NOAA weather kept calling for 10 to 20 knot winds and a good chance of thunderstorms. Motored and drifted earlier in the day. Later in the day wind started building. Had a solid 20 knots for about half of the Pamlico Sound. Sailed down the channel, Big Foot slough, to Ocracoke on the main only, with second reef, winds were 25 to 30. Quite a ride. Much different than this morning. Got dock space at the Park Service dock for the night. Supposed to be blowing 30 to 35 knots tonight. Kind of glad to not be anchoring. Not sure where or when I am heading tomorrow. Happy fourth.
Got in about 1:30 today. Only one other sailboat at the public dock, is that you Solar54? Was a good ride. Following seas about 2 foot the whole way.

oursailingadventures.com
post #16 of 27 Old 07-05-2015

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Walk around. Check the place out. Rent a bike and go farther afield. It's a great place.
post #17 of 27 Old 07-05-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Walk around. Check the place out. Rent a bike and go farther afield. It's a great place.
We got our wheels for the week. This is not our last time here. Just awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

oursailingadventures.com
post #18 of 27 Old 07-06-2015

Dock

NCcouple,
Wasn't me. I headed out at about 11:30 ish. I think I may have seen you out on the sound. Your nice following seas were almost head on for me. Long bumpy ride home for me.
Glad you made it out to Ocracoke. Have fun.

Paul
1984 Catalina 36 Tall Rig
post #19 of 27 Old 07-11-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Had a wonderful time Ocracoke is a must to visit at least once. Very unique little village. I would recommend the public docks. Seems to be the best option there. Meet lots of other very nice sailors. One couple come in on a mcgreger 26, actually sailed it the whole way from oriental in choppy conditions and come in at night. They had engine problems when they were leaving and with the wind being directly on there nose we offered a ride back to Oriental so they could get there trailer and return.
Excitement happened on the return trip. I got a little to comfy having extra crew on board. I was watching the chart plotter on the way out instead of looking at the markers, we run aground. Sea tow is 2 hours away and all the locals refused to help. Raised the sails and finally heeled over enough to come off about 45 mins later. Sailed out of the channel. Out of the channel winds were nose on so we motored very choppy, got sea sick for the first time ever, still recovering. Motored over half way back, seas calmed down and then a bad engine vibration. Shut her down, inspected and found nothing obvious. Restarted and the overheat alarm stayed on and the steering was gone. Bobbed around at anchore for about an hour and a half in 95 deg weather waiting on sea tow and I continued to chum. We got the boat to the yard and It was a great learning experience. I know now my boat is capable of way more than I ever imagined.
post #20 of 27 Old 07-11-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

A couple photos.
Attached Thumbnails
image_1436651333266.jpg   image_1436651387162.jpg   image_1436651436956.jpg   image_1436651484906.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in