Oriental to Ocracoke - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 07-11-2015

Re: Oriental to Ocracoke

Back in the day some friends and I chartered a boat in Oriental, and Ocracoke was one of our stops. When we were leaving, a small but very smokey electrical fire erupted from the instrument panel. We had to turn around and spend another night in Ocracoke. Shame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 07-11-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

I'll mark this one up as a great learning experience. I do fell a lot more confidant after this. Over all trip was great.

oursailingadventures.com
post #23 of 27 Old 07-15-2015

Nice job. It's an accomplishment for sure, and a natural progression for NC sailors. Great observations about crew distractions and running aground. It happens. I've seen sailboats aground several times to my starboard on approach to Ocracoke, sound-side.

Anyway, that's great you got yourself off.

The thing that makes Ocracoke an adventure is that you never know what the weather will be like on the trip home. If you're on a schedule, you could find yourself crossing the sound in less than optimal conditions. My concern has always been my crew, if they're along. They get seasick, and it's not a real quick ride.

Looking forward to dropping the hook in silver lake again soon. It's been awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #24 of 27 Old 07-16-2015

Dock

Glad you enjoyed your trip despite the few set backs. Did you get your engine/steering problem fixed? My first guess is you ran over a crab pot line and float. The line binds your shaft and can stall the engine or cause over heating, while the float will slam your rudder over.

I ran aground in the same channel last year. After about 10 to 15 trips out that way, for some reason I forgot what side my green markers should be on. I was heading in from the sound. Wasn't paying attention, sub-consciously thought red on right returning, started leaving the greens to my left, then ran aground. Very embarrassing. Could not get unstuck. Luckily BoatUS was coming by to get someone else. I waved them over and he towed me off. Only took about 10 min. until I was sailing again.

Paul
1984 Catalina 36 Tall Rig
post #25 of 27 Old 07-16-2015
Call me Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I, for one, would appreciate if you'd report back on your findings should you be able to do that... It's been a LONG time since I ran that inlet, it was pretty shaky back in the day... I've always thought that if the inlet was reasonably stable/dependable, Ocracoke might be the most favorable departure point for the fall passage to the islands...
Jon - I had a fishing boat lined up to take me through the inlet last summer but my weather window never developed. They were very sure that they had plenty of water for my 5' draft the whole way through. However, they were equally clear on the fact that the markers are often out of place and that it was a good idea to have asked them and to follow someone through. My feeling is that I would go out that channel in appropriate weather but never plan to come it it.

Going north, it gains you a good bit over Beaufort. Curious why you'd want to leave for the islands from there as opposed to Beaufort though? Ocracoke is a great place to hang out for sure (especially in the fall) but there is no place to provision there and Beaufort has many advantages (including Cape Lookout if you're just looking for a sweet spot to wait for weather).

-Matt

Come not here if you have already spent the best of yourself
post #26 of 27 Old 07-16-2015

Dock

Jon,
Sorry but I ran out of time on this trip and did not get to do any research on the inlet. Had to do boat repairs instead. I like the Ocracoke inlet because I can usually sail to it as opposed to going to Beaufort via the long stretch of motoring down the ICW.

Paul
1984 Catalina 36 Tall Rig
post #27 of 27 Old 07-16-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar54 View Post
Glad you enjoyed your trip despite the few set backs. Did you get your engine/steering problem fixed? My first guess is you ran over a crab pot line and float. The line binds your shaft and can stall the engine or cause over heating, while the float will slam your rudder over.

I ran aground in the same channel last year. After about 10 to 15 trips out that way, for some reason I forgot what side my green markers should be on. I was heading in from the sound. Wasn't paying attention, sub-consciously thought red on right returning, started leaving the greens to my left, then ran aground. Very embarrassing. Could not get unstuck. Luckily BoatUS was coming by to get someone else. I waved them over and he towed me off. Only took about 10 min. until I was sailing again.
We got her at Sailcraft on the hard now. The two issues were unrelated. Steering had some corrosion and some broke bolts I was unaware of. The engine apparently sucked up some sand and mud when we were heeled over stuck. It over heated but we shut her down. It's looking like it's alright. Going to splash her back in next Saturday.

oursailingadventures.com

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in