SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Cal25 rudder shaft (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/209721-cal25-rudder-shaft.html)

tom_beckstedt 07-08-2015 08:06 PM

Cal25 rudder shaft

I have a 1969 Cal 25 and noticed that when I pull the tiller to one side I have about an 1/8th inch of slop in the shaft housing going through the boat is this normal ?

SJ34 07-08-2015 10:19 PM

No. The shaft in the Cal25 is just a fiberglass tube and they've been known to develop slop.
I've heard of people pouring graphite thickened epoxy into the space to tighten them up.

SloopJonB 07-09-2015 12:31 PM

Re: Cal25 rudder shaft

If you do that, be sure to remove and very thoroughly wax the rudder shaft first - like 7 or 8 times.

If you don't you will simply epoxy the shaft to the tube.

Also, once the epoxy has set you may find you need to lap the shaft & tube with valve lapping compound to loosen it up slightly - they can get so perfectly fitted that a film of water between them can cause a sort of hydrolock situation.

overbored 07-09-2015 01:01 PM

never use valve grinding compound or emery cloth on a bronze or stainless shaft. the sapphire in the compound will imbed in the shaft and bearing material and continue to grind away at the shaft even after you have cleaned the shaft. if you have to lap the the surfaces then Pumice mixed with some oil is best because the pumice will continue to break down and not imbed

SloopJonB 07-09-2015 03:48 PM

I could maybe see that on a soft bronze shaft but S/S? why doesn't it happen to steel &/or S/S valves, for which it is specifically manufactured?

overbored 07-09-2015 04:39 PM

the valves in an engine are hardened with even harder valve seats. stainless steel rudder shafts are 304 or maybe 316 material and it is not heat treatable and very soft . the cutting compound will imbed in the surface and continue to grind away at the bearings. it also will imbed into the soft plastic resin of the shaft tube.
if you want a pre made compound for soft materials then Timesaver Lapping Compound Yellow Label and Green Label Compounds, non imbedding lapping compound, manufactured by Micro Surface. but it is just pumice in oil

tom_beckstedt 07-09-2015 06:47 PM

So your basically saying there shouldn't be any slop, Will have to hall out to do repairs can it wait till fall?

SloopJonB 07-09-2015 07:34 PM

It can wait as long as you are willing to put up with it.

Capt Len 07-09-2015 08:33 PM

Maybe a length of string in candle wax wrapped round and round and pushed down with a popsicle stick. Or maybe just the popsicle stick for a real high tech fix.

Lake Superior Sailor 07-10-2015 02:36 AM

I believe the Cal's were built with this slop and is nothing to worry about..Don't fix it if it's not broke!...Dale