Privacy considerations for ignorant powerboaters - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 67 Old 07-12-2015
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

re: Privacy considerations for ignorant powerboaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Oh come one now !!!!!! if one gets severely waked on the AICW, 99% of the time its a New Jersey Boat and usually its a BIG 'sport fisher', ('cept JonEberg, of course). :-o
In NJ, its probably in their DNA to wake 'everyone and everything', especially in the NJ inlets - just like driving the ever-courteous NJ turnpike. Everyone there does this (including and especially the water cops); and therefore, a severe waking should be 'EXPECTED' anywhere near NJ.
So, its probably a widely accepted 'cultural thing' endemic to NJ.

This is Nih-Jezzey, Viva Yo!!!!!
(and where a middle finger salute is always optionally appropriate)

;-)
Well, Jersey cant hog all the credit my fellow boaters on south shore Long. Island can be unbelievable. Sunday headin back in a north south cut I had several 26-34' powerboats over take me within 30' pulling most of the available water with them few slow down at all some slow down enough to maximize wake a few know their boats well enough to get on plane and bear off courteously. Two larger boats saw me clutching air horn and slowed down with a wave .Nice to know there are some who still know out there. As long as my sails are full I surf the first wave then bear up into the next trough. One time someone came within 18 ft in light air and I nearly broached onto the adjoining bar. Bloody people do not think.[emoji569]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 67 Old 07-12-2015

^well at least you get to practice your heavy weather skills for a few moments and then it's over...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeventyr60 For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (07-14-2015)
post #13 of 67 Old 07-13-2015

two words "air horn"

1988 C22 Owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to azguy For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (07-14-2015)

post #14 of 67 Old 07-13-2015

Rick,
I had an interesting conversation with a state water cop on Barnegat Bay a couple of seasons ago. A guy bought a new sport fishing boat on Forked River just up stream from our marina and was routinely throwing a two foot wake into all the docked boats downstream early every Sunday morning when he headed out. He would actually scream at back at the people on the dock that his boat "couldn't go any slower" and laugh as he was going by. At this point a couple of people had had minor damage.

The state cop told me they couldn't do anything because the incidents were taking place when they had no one on duty (don't ask). He said the procedure was to take down the boat's numbers, then go to the local PD and file a "reckless operation" complaint. The owner would then be compelled to show up in court, and if found guilty they'd be liable for any damages. The person swearing out the complaint would also be required to show up in court.

He said he'd mention it to one of the locals to have a chat with the guy. I assume he did because the waking stopped right after that.

Depending on how pissed you are and what side of the river it happened on, you might consider going to the local PD. But if Philly would have jurisdiction I don't think I'd waste my time.

Best of luck
Jim

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #15 of 67 Old 07-13-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Oh come one now !!!!!! if one gets severely waked on the AICW, 99% of the time its a New Jersey Boat and usually its a BIG 'sport fisher', ('cept JonEberg, of course). :-o
In NJ, its probably in their DNA to wake 'everyone and everything', especially in the NJ inlets - just like driving the ever-courteous NJ turnpike. Everyone there does this (including and especially the water cops); and therefore, a severe waking should be 'EXPECTED' anywhere near NJ.
So, its probably a widely accepted 'cultural thing' endemic to NJ.

This is Nih-Jezzey, Viva Yo!!!!!
(and where a middle finger salute is always optionally appropriate)

;-)
Nope, wrong. The last one I remember doing that was from Montauk. It WAS a 50'+ sportfisher. A Similar culture there on LI. Not all of LI, mind you, just from Manhattan to Montauk. :-)

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-13-2015 at 01:15 PM.
post #16 of 67 Old 07-13-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
...He said the procedure was to take down the boat's numbers, then go to the local PD and file a "reckless operation" complaint. The owner would then be compelled to show up in court, and if found guilty they'd be liable for any damages. The person swearing out the complaint would also be required to show up in court....Depending on how pissed you are and what side of the river it happened on, you might consider going to the local PD. But if Philly would have jurisdiction I don't think I'd waste my time...
Since there was no permanent damage I am not interested in getting the authorities involved. However, I am interested in all the responses that lay out the procedures for what to do if something happens in the future.

For the record, this happened very much on the Pennsylvania/Philadelphia side of the river. In fact, that's one of the odd things about his chosen path, because I was pretty far over near the Philly piers, and this guy had the whole river open on my port side. So he almost had to make a special effort to pass on my starboard side because he was so close to the bulkheads. In fact, it was so close that his wake reflected off the bulkheads back over to me after he passed me. (The reflections were nowhere near as high as the primary wake.)

One of the points of my original post was that when these guys are transmitting AIS, it's like they have a "radar gun" on themselves all the time. I think it could be valuable evidence for LEAs to use against them if someone presses charges.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #17 of 67 Old 07-13-2015
Above 5 knots

Dock

Quote:
In NJ, its probably in their DNA to wake 'everyone and everything', especially in the NJ inlets - just like driving the ever-courteous NJ turnpike.
Rich I KNEW I liked you!

PS: Wife is from 'Jerrrrsee so I pick lightheartedly. We live in the Poconos, and we're pretty well convinced most of NYC comes to stay with us every weekend... Our area is a parking lot from 5pm to 9pm every Sunday night (people going home to NJ, or NY). By the way many of those from "out of state" also frequent our local lake where I have my boat. we have a max speed limit on the lake weekends of 45mph... and YES it's exceeded often, mostly by Lake Lice (I mean PWC).

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #18 of 67 Old 07-13-2015
arrgh!

Dock

I have a friend who works the summer patrolling an Adirondack Lake

I always like to go to breakfast with him in the fall, to hear his stories. Even with his boat identified as a 'patrol boat' people do crazy things right in front of him.

The stories kind of fall in several categories:

The person is renting a boat (wave runner usually) and thought --- what happens on vacation stays on vacation

Along the same lines: I'm a tourist, you have to accept what I do
Conversely: I live here, I can do what I want.

I paid $$$ for my boat and I will do what I want.

and generally speaking, all have some degree of alcohol involved.

=================================

There is a Gallagher joke where he thinks people should be given a rubber sticker gun when they drive a car (boat) and every time someone cuts you off or does something stupid you shoot a sticker dart to the bumper (stern) of the guy. Then if a police officer sees a car (boat) driving around with five darts on it, he just arrests the guy for being an ars*hole

eherlihy and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Vector X Y
The Following User Says Thank You to titustiger27 For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (08-02-2015)
post #19 of 67 Old 07-13-2015

Hello Rick -
it is indeed a small ( and highly connected) world. A dark blue hulled motor vessel "The Tardis" slalomed through the traffic on the Sassafas River on July 5th. He was at the GYB fuel dock when our fleet joined the parade of boats heading home from the 4th of July fireworks.
A short time later I assumed he mistook the "end of 6 mph" marker for a starting gun. "The Tardis" (metal nameplate on the stern, cutout so you can see the neon/led glow of the guy who just almost ran you down) was not the only nor the worse offender.
Maybe some of those folks get their jollies from endangering others as they pass, I believe most are obnoxiously oblivious.
"The Tardis" blew by me probably about 60 - 80 feet to port with a four foot wake ( give or take an couple inches). Guess that is his signature move. I was more concerned for the folks in small runabouts, fishing and rowboats he was buzzing. Sadly if travelling at 20 plus knots he gets to rock a lot of boats.
A**wipe is far to kind a term for such an A**&#(*"*%> !
all the best
Brazen Article
post #20 of 67 Old 07-13-2015 Thread Starter

Denis,

That's the same guy. I vividly remember the navy blue hull, but he passed me too fast to see his transom. His vessel name came up on AIS, and also was verified by the MMSI database.

I was running OpenCPN at the time, which has a really nice plugin that records an entire stream of NMEA data (your boat, all other boats, plus depth, wind, and any other instrumentation). Then you can play it back later, showing all boat locations on the screen as they move relative to each other. It will even replicate any alarms that went off. Unfortunately, you need to set it to record ahead of time, and I didn't have time to do that. (There have been times in the past when saw an interesting flotilla approaching, or something similarly noteworthy, that caused me to turn on the record function).

However, I did have the presence of mind to save his cached AIS track a few minutes after he passed me (more frequent points than marinetraffic.com), and I also had captured my own GPS track. So I brought these up tonight to see if my recollections were accurate. I've overlaid the two tracks in the below pic. You can clearly see the little dodge maneuver I did to attempt to turn into his wake after he had passed me. You can also see in the blowup at the bottom that he passed me 16.3 meters away, which is 54 feet. So I was not exaggerating. I did apparently exaggerate his speed, though. I said 26 knots, which I saw that he was doing after he passed me (when I brought up the AIS target info). At the exact moment that he passed me, he was only doing 24.2 knots. I guess he must have slowed down for me.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-13-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in